How are cops supposed to know if their attacker is armed or not?

That's all liberals talk about - unarmed man shot - unarmed man shot - unarmed man shot.

If someone attacks me and i've got a gun, i'm gonna shoot him and ask questions later. Who wouldn't?

State Wardens in Maine have an innovative method, they ask. Watch a lot of Animal Planet's "North Woods Law" and since most everyone a game warden interacts with is armed, I'm amazed how calmly they stop and question suspects. In stark contrast to other officers where hunting isn't a thing and freak out if someone's armed. Raises an interesting question, if everyone was armed, would being armed still be a big to do? Would there be more officer-involved shootings, or fewer?

Cops are trained to use their MagLites ( flashlights ), batons, and trained in self-defense. They're also instructed to call for back-up when needed. In addition, most of them carry some type of defensive spray ( pepper spray ). So, when an unarmed person is approached, forget everything and start shooting? Sorry, but something doesn't add up. And, take a look at the victims. Some of the victims are young kids, old women and old men, non-attack family pets, and disabled people in wheelchairs.

What category does michael brown fall into.? He was a 300 pound giant in the physical prime of his life. THINK
According to several witnesses, he was a good distance from the officer when shot. I don't believe that he was attacking the officer at the time he was shot.

You sure have a short memory.

RogerR20150308_low.jpg

Cops are trained to use their MagLites ( flashlights ), batons, and trained in self-defense. They're also instructed to call for back-up when needed. In addition, most of them carry some type of defensive spray ( pepper spray ). So, when an unarmed person is approached, forget everything and start shooting? Sorry, but something doesn't add up. And, take a look at the victims. Some of the victims are young kids, old women and old men, non-attack family pets, and disabled people in wheelchairs.

What category does michael brown fall into.? He was a 300 pound giant in the physical prime of his life. THINK
According to several witnesses, he was a good distance from the officer when shot. I don't believe that he was attacking the officer at the time he was shot.

Could be. But, I remember witnesses saying that he was a good distance away when shot. I remember the video as it was happening where two construction workers saw it all go down. According to what I gathered, it wasn't close to the officer at the time the shots were fired.

Could be. But, I remember witnesses saying that he was a good distance away when shot. I remember the video as it was happening where two construction workers saw it all go down. According to what I gathered, it wasn't close to the officer at the time the shots were fired.

Mike Brown forfeited his life the second he assaulted officer Wilson.

Did you just refer to the "Gentle Giant" as an "it"?

If Holder couldn't find anything on Darren Wilson, you know he was in the right.

If Holder couldn't find anything on Darren Wilson, you know he was in the right.

I think you mean if Holder couldnt fabricate any evidence that would stick.

Could be, but we may never know the complete story. Only two people know what happened the seconds before the terrible event happened, and one of them is dead now. No one knows what happened while he was standing outside the cop car that caused the officer to step out and start shooting. The only one that can say is dead now, and one will never admit what actually happened.

A typo. I meant to type "HE". Sorry about the typo, my bad. Who's to say Holder isn't biased? Is what he says the gospel? Also, he wasn't there. He based his opinion on second hand info.

Every situation is different. A cop should use a gun only as a last resort before he is overwhelmed, incapacitated or disarmed.

If a 300 pounder like michael brown is charging you, are you gonna hold fire till he's on top of you? THINK
I should have stressed the word, before. That should be sufficient. In your example I would hold fire until he was close enough to get powder burns.

Have you ever heard of the 21 foot rule?

Could be, but we may never know the complete story. Only two people know what happened the seconds before the terrible event happened, and one of them is dead now. No one knows what happened while he was standing outside the cop car that caused the officer to step out and start shooting. The only one that can say is dead now, and one will never admit what actually happened.

Mike Browns blood was inside the cop car. Which backs up officer Wilson as to what happened.

One effect of an armed citizenry will be an increased number of police shootings of civilians because the police do not know who is armed.

That has been the case in Utah where on any given day maybe 120,000 of our citizens go about their business with concealed weapons. A friend on the police force told me quite firmly "The law is such I do not know who is armed. If there is a conflict with a citizen, I fully intend to be the one who goes home that night."

I agree with him.

Mike Browns blood was inside the cop car. Which backs up officer Wilson as to what happened.
Not necessarily. Do you know for sure that the cop didn't instigate what happened inside the car? Was the blood because the cop attacked first? How exactly did the blood get there? Was it a result of the cop grabbing Mr. Brown causing him to bleed? The only two people that know for sure are the cop and the dead man, and the dead man can't talk.

One effect of an armed citizenry will be an increased number of police shootings of civilians because the police do not know who is armed.

That has been the case in Utah where on any given day maybe 120,000 of our citizens go about their business with concealed weapons. A friend on the police force told me quite firmly "The law is such I do not know who is armed. If there is a conflict with a citizen, I fully intend to be the one who goes home that night."

I agree with him.
The cops wouldn't have to worry so much if they treated people with an ounce of respect instead of playing the part of a bully all the time. Besides, bad guys will always have guns. Weapons are easy to get. The good guys do not pose a threat to anyone unless they are forced to defend themselves, family, or property. I have three guns, but would never use them to harm anyone unless forced to. All of us would be a lot safer if we all carried weapons.

I agree with him.
The cops wouldn't have to worry so much if they treated people with an ounce of respect instead of playing the part of a bully all the time. Besides, bad guys will always have guns. Weapons are easy to get. The good guys do not pose a threat to anyone unless they are forced to defend themselves, family, or property. I have three guns, but would never use them to harm anyone unless forced to. All of us would be a lot safer if we all carried weapons.
Not in this state, so far.

Not necessarily. Do you know for sure that the cop didn't instigate what happened inside the car? Was the blood because the cop attacked first? How exactly did the blood get there? Was it a result of the cop grabbing Mr. Brown causing him to bleed? The only two people that know for sure are the cop and the dead man, and the dead man can't talk.

ALL the evidence supported officer Wilson.
Thats about as close as were gonna get to the truth.

ALL the evidence supported officer Wilson.
Thats about as close as were gonna get to the truth.
I think it's as close as we'll get also.

I agree with him.
Not in this state, so far.
I imagine it's bad in certain places. But, I haven't heard of anything unusual. People have been killing people since the beginning of time, and will continue to do so, regardless of laws.

I don't buy that. Lots of bad cops out there and sometimes doing what they say can be a bad idea. I can't fault someone for turning around and running from the cops. Not that michael brown did that but if he had, and the cop shot him, then even i would say he was murdered.

The cop has a duty to stop a violent suspect and while shooting someone in the back may be distasteful,it's well within the cops rights to do so.

In some cases, back shooting is justified. But if a cop does it, he better be sure he has that justification.

If it comes to that, I don't see why the cops can't just shoot them in the leg. No, instead they gotta shoot them ten times in the fucking chest like they never fucking shot anything before. Fucking panzy ass bitches.

If the attacker does have a gun, shooting him in the leg will get you killed .

That's the point of this thread. The cop doesn't know if the thug is armed or not. THINK

Forum List

Back