Homeschooling: Your Views, Please

Home schooled kids in states that do require proficiency tests, ACT, SAT, etc. are certainly better off than the ones that aren't. ... If the parent wants their kid to take proficiency tests, ACT, or...

Those tests you mentioned are not intended to "monitor" progress throughout a student's education; they are college placement tests. Do you even know what the hell you're talking about?

I for one, if I were to have kids, would home school.

And I have a brain. 2 BS degrees, and an MBA graduated with a 3.9 average over all 3.

I have no faith in public school whatsoever.

The latest studies are showing Homeschooled children are actually being better-prepared for College. It is a viable alternative to Government-run Schooling. More & more Americans will begin to consider it.
It's been well known for years that home schooled kids outperform their public school counterparts.

People who oppose home schooling are just control freaks as it really is none of their Effing business

Is that one of your homeschooled, scientific, studies giving you that highly intelligent and brilliant conclusion? Let me ask you this, if you rwns know everything about everything, why are your politicians always so stupid?
FYI home schooled kids take SATs, ACTs and GREs just like everyone else AND they perform better than public school kids

And it really is none of your fucking business if a parent wants to home school now is it?

Sorry, but you are wrong. I'm sure that in the states that do continue to supply and grade tests, there are several well educated students, but in the ones that don't, I suspect the results are quite different
Texas Homeschooling Laws - Home School Legally in TX A2Z Homeschooling
And how does that prove home schooled kids don't outperform their public school counter parts?

As long as home schools met state requirements for a public education, go ahead.
From what I have seen they don't meet their own educational requirements. Some have degrees but a lot of them don't. I believe in a lot of cases, they want the focus to be on religion or political ideals that public school has no part of.

As long as home schools met state requirements for a public education, go ahead.
From what I have seen they don't meet their own educational requirements. Some have degrees but a lot of them don't. I believe in a lot of cases, they want the focus to be on religion or political ideals that public school has no part of.
Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.

Every politically controlled educational system will inculcate the doctrine of state supremacy sooner or later. . . . Once that doctrine has been accepted, it becomes an almost superhuman task to break the stranglehold of the political power over the life of the citizen. It has had his body, property and mind in its clutches from infancy. An octopus would sooner release its prey. A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state

. –Isabel Paterson, The God of the Machine (1943

Hey, that's good advice........for you.

I know one homeschooler. Her kids are plunked in front of the computer all day doing their "lessons". While Mom sits on her computer all day conversing with other home schoolers on Facebook. LMAO. They call it a "support group".

These kids are socially awkward and not particularly well educated in math. Science is ok as long as you stick with small animals. No sports. No other extra curricular activities.

I would put my public schooled Advanced Placement taking kid up against any home schooled kid. And the home schooled kid couldn't carry my kids books.

I remember when we in the USA had the number 1 high school students in the entire world. Our education system was the envy of the world if the country wanted smart adults.

And that performance WAS NOT BASED ON HOME SCHOOLED kids. It was that hated PUBLIC EDUCATION system. Amazing eh? Public education that worked.

Homeschooling isn't perfect. It doesn't solve all the problems. But neither does Public-Schooling. There's good & both in both. There's successes & failures in both. But we don't shut down all Public Schools because many have failed the kids. So we shouldn't ban all Homeschooling because some fail the kids. The Parents will decide. That's what Freedom & Liberty is all about.

I agree. though I'd like to see schools in general change tact and move towards less traditional education for the sake of education and working towards skills based and also becoming decent adults based.

It's only dead if you believe that bored kids can just get over it. Parents are not going to teach all day then take them out in the evening to interract with other kids. They can learn at school and I've said before that our local schools are great, and interact, compete, do the extra curricular activities and sports after school. They can have it all but not when they are stuck at home all day.

I've heard that sports and things like this are done with home school kids too, they all come together and do this sort of thing.

Networking within home schooling can work.

The biggest problem can come if the parent isn't up to the task of home schooling, but then this is an individual issue.

I know one homeschooler. Her kids are plunked in front of the computer all day doing their "lessons". While Mom sits on her computer all day conversing with other home schoolers on Facebook. LMAO. They call it a "support group".

These kids are socially awkward and not particularly well educated in math. Science is ok as long as you stick with small animals. No sports. No other extra curricular activities.

I would put my public schooled Advanced Placement taking kid up against any home schooled kid. And the home schooled kid couldn't carry my kids books.

I remember when we in the USA had the number 1 high school students in the entire world. Our education system was the envy of the world if the country wanted smart adults.

And that performance WAS NOT BASED ON HOME SCHOOLED kids. It was that hated PUBLIC EDUCATION system. Amazing eh? Public education that worked.

Which is an issue with individual parents.

I saw a home schooled kid in South Africa, and the kid hardly did anything ever. He had lots of issues that would make main stream school almost impossible, but he wasn't really getting anything at home either.

The US had number 1 students in the world. Probably when China was suffering under Mao, Europe was decimated by WW2, and Japan and much of the Far East.

Things change.

Education standards in the US haven't risen to meet the needs of the developing world in many cases. Education can be good, but does it give kids the skills they need?

I look on this board and see the logic, debating, thought processing skills and I have to say, NO! In the most part this hasn't happened, and even with young Americans isn't happening much. The SATs even get kids to think in order to get a high mark, so in some schools it is happening, but I don't see that it is applied to reality enough.

OOOH you know ONE home schooled kid and you think that ONE represents everyone?

Then explain why home schooled kids outperform public school kids and a higher percentage of home schooled kids go to and finish a college degree.

And are you telling me that home schooled kids can't play sports because only public schools offer them? I've known a dozen or more home schooled kids that lived on my street when I was growing up to kids of friends today and they all played little league and Pop Warner football some kids played hockey a couple even got black belts in Tae Kwan Do.

And if you think that public school today is on par with when we were number one in the world then you have had your head under a rock.

A few thoughts I'd like to share with you guys. :)

Homeschooling isn't a bad thing at all. With my homeschooling, every year I'd be given a huge, heavy package of books, tests, and other things to work on. The coursework was designed by professors, teachers, and other people who make their living in academia. Homeschooling's not where you're given a notebook filled with scribblings from your mother or father and that's it. No, there's a comprehensive system at work here.

Your parent doesn't need to be a teacher, or 'trained' by some government bureaucrat. What you need is a dedicated parent that will make sure you keep your nose to the grindstone and apply a bit of fire under your butt if you dare try to slack off on your studies. Your parent needs to be responsible, organized, and thorough. You don't need to be trained to do that. It's called being a good parent. My mother may not have understood the calculus I was given to study and work on, but she kept pushing me gently and guiding me to get it done and, when I didn't understand something, she'd direct me to my father to help me understand. There would also be a thick notebook with a binding that acted as a primer for the parents so they too could comprehend what it is I was learning, and to help guide them in the process by explaining the mathematics very easily.

I didn't need help in science because I devoured that part of my studies ravenously. I needed guidance on literature and book reports not because I didn't understand it, but because I suffered from ADHD and was extremely bored and unchallenged by it. At times, in my immaturity, I was a handful and a challenge for my parents because I never felt challenged enough and craved a real test.

Lastly, you need to keep your homeschooled children socializing. That doesn't mean you have to introduce them to all the bad influences you typically find in the public school system. So many young teen boys in the system smoke pot, and behave completely and utterly... stupid. I may not have been as social as some of those kids were, but they really stood no chance against me when it came to intelligence and a never-ending thirst for knowledge and understanding. They'd rather waste their time playing video games, smoking pot, slacking off, and fornicating. I am very, very thankful that my parents raised me far and away from those bad influences, because I could see myself being influenced under peer pressure to do stupid things, or be bullied by the troglodytes that school officials couldn't do much if anything about. You should keep your homeschooled kids engaged and in the community around tens and hundreds of people, doing stuff to help the community while ensuring they're safe, too. I already have a plan partially mapped out on paper, where I apply their free time towards helping others in need, whether it's elderly folks in the neighborhood or soup kitchens and charities in need of helping hands.

Then explain why home schooled kids outperform public school kids and a higher percentage of home schooled kids go to and finish a college degree.

And are you telling me that home schooled kids can't play sports because only public schools offer them? I've known a dozen or more home schooled kids that lived on my street when I was growing up to kids of friends today and they all played little league and Pop Warner football some kids played hockey a couple even got black belts in Tae Kwan Do.

And if you think that public school today is on par with when we were number one in the world then you have had your head under a rock.
They don't outperform public school kids. You are making that claim but it just isn't true.

Stop Saying Homeschoolers Are Brilliant

How does U.S. homeschoolers’ academic performance compare with other students?

Evidence regarding this question has been fraught with controversy because most of the studies that have received widest attention have been interpreted to say something they do not and cannot. We simply can’t draw any conclusions about the academic performance of the “average homeschooler,” because none of the studies so often cited employ random samples representing the full range of homeschoolers.

For example, two large U.S. studies (Rudner, 1999; Ray, 2009) are frequently cited as definitive evidence that homeschoolers academically outperform public and private school students. But in both cases, the homeschool participants were volunteers responding to an invitation by the nation’s most prominent advocacy organization to contribute test scores (on tests usually administered by parents in the child’s own home). The demographics of these samples were far whiter, more religious, more married, better educated, and wealthier than national averages. And yet these test score results were compared to average public school scores that included children from all income levels and family backgrounds. Not surprisingly, wealthy homeschoolers from stable two-parent families who take tests administered by their parents in the comfort of their own homes outscore the average public school child by large margins.

The simple fact is that no studies of academic achievement exist that draw from a representative, nationwide sample of homeschoolers and control for background variables like socio-economic or marital status. It is thus impossible to say whether or not homeschooling as such has any impact on the sort of academic achievement measured by standardized tests.

They don't outperform public school kids. You are making that claim but it just isn't true.
Really?

HOME-SCHOOLING Outstanding results on national tests - Washington Times

Five areas of academic pursuit were measured. In reading, the average home-schooler scored at the 89th percentile; language, 84th percentile; math, 84th percentile; science, 86th percentile; and social studies, 84th percentile. In the core studies (reading, language and math), the average home-schooler scored at the 88th percentile.

The average public school student taking these standardized tests scored at the 50th percentile in each subject area.

It seems it is true and the claims you are making regarding performance and socialization aren't

IMO the vehemence shown to those who wish to home school comes from a place other than concern for the child.

What we are really seeing here is a resentment of those who do not wish to follow the flock

I don't recall people saying homeschoolers were brilliant.

In time I may wade into this debate with a few facts in hand.

IMO the vehemence shown to those who wish to home school comes from a place other than concern for the child.

What we are really seeing here is a resentment of those who do not wish to follow the flock
You see what you want to see as you follow your flock :rolleyes:

What vehemence, really?

I don't recall people saying homeschoolers were brilliant.

In time I may wade into this debate with a few facts in hand.
There's this local private school that only accepts top talent.. They love to advertise that their graduates have such high test results. I suppose if you only have top talent it's pretty hard to screw that up.

Forum List

Back