HOLY CRAP, my best friend might be RIGHT about Trump

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I'd be interested to know what Republicans would think of this from a political perspective.

So my buddy and I met for beers yesterday, and this morning my foggy little brain could have SWORN he said that Trump may be pushing to expand the current Medicare / Medicare Advantage / Medicare Supplement system to all, which is PRECISELY what I have been SCREAMING for, for fucking YEARS.

Get this, according to Forbes, it's possible: Trump's Stealth Health Plan Could Be 'Medicare For All'

Good gawd, that would be nice. From the piece:

First, a little background. The premise of MFA is that everyone outside of corporate and government health plans would be automatically covered. There would be no state marketplaces, no provider networks and no draconian deductibles. You wouldn't have to apply and choose a plan based on premiums. Access would be a non-issue.

The Medicare system at present has four parts covering hospitals, medical services, an optional managed care and prescription drugs. You pay modest premiums for each component and can supplement out-of-pocket costs through private "supplement" or "Medigap" policies.

An expanded Medicare, in short, wouldn't just be for those over 65 and the permanently disabled. If you needed it, you'd get it at any age and wouldn't have to wait for enrollment periods or deal with an online marketplace. You could keep your doctors and local health care providers. Medicare would simply pay most the lion's share of your medical bills.

What makes me believe that Trump might back MFA? He's consistently said he wants "everybody" to be covered. That would happen with a single-payer program like Medicare.

"As far as single payer, it works in Canada," Trump said during a GOP debate in 2015. "It works incredibly well in Scotland. It could have worked in a different age, which is the age you’re talking about here,” he said, noting several times in the past he would not cut Medicare or Social Security, both of which are on the GOP's hit list.

“We’re going to have a health care that is far less expensive and far better,” said Trump at his news conference on Jan. 11. “We don’t want anyone who currently has insurance to not have insurance,” said Kellyanne Conway, a Trump adviser, on Jan. 3. “Also we are very aware that the public likes coverage for pre-existing conditions.”

Some Added Benefits

Does Trump truly back a single-payer plan or has he been casually spouting populist rhetoric while still in campaign mode? It's certainly been easy to be against Obamacare, but there's an upside to Medicare expansion because you could offer access to a popular, low-cost program that could actually reduce the overall costs of health care.

Better yet, MFA could replace the Affordable Care Act, which the GOP is in the process of dismantling, although it hasn't announced a viable replacement plan. Trump has also said he wants to scrap the law.

Here's another political bonus: The animus against Obamacare may not come into play with an expanded Medicare. The program is popular; polls consistently show that the public wants to keep it intact. And universal Medicare would eliminate most of the gripes people now have with Obamacare such as high deductibles, out-of-network fees, rising premiums and coverage gaps, which is a problem with any system anchored by private insurers.

I'd be interested to know what Republicans would think of this from a political perspective.

So my buddy and I met for beers yesterday, and this morning my foggy little brain could have SWORN he said that Trump may be pushing to expand the current Medicare / Medicare Advantage / Medicare Supplement system to all, which is PRECISELY what I have been SCREAMING for, for fucking YEARS.

Get this, according to Forbes, it's possible: Trump's Stealth Health Plan Could Be 'Medicare For All'

First, a little background. The premise of MFA is that everyone outside of corporate and government health plans would be automatically covered. There would be no state marketplaces, no provider networks and no draconian deductibles. You wouldn't have to apply and choose a plan based on premiums. Access would be a non-issue.

The Medicare system at present has four parts covering hospitals, medical services, an optional managed care and prescription drugs. You pay modest premiums for each component and can supplement out-of-pocket costs through private "supplement" or "Medigap" policies.

An expanded Medicare, in short, wouldn't just be for those over 65 and the permanently disabled. If you needed it, you'd get it at any age and wouldn't have to wait for enrollment periods or deal with an online marketplace. You could keep your doctors and local health care providers. Medicare would simply pay most the lion's share of your medical bills.

What makes me believe that Trump might back MFA? He's consistently said he wants "everybody" to be covered. That would happen with a single-payer program like Medicare.

"As far as single payer, it works in Canada," Trump said during a GOP debate in 2015. "It works incredibly well in Scotland. It could have worked in a different age, which is the age you’re talking about here,” he said, noting several times in the past he would not cut Medicare or Social Security, both of which are on the GOP's hit list.

“We’re going to have a health care that is far less expensive and far better,” said Trump at his news conference on Jan. 11. “We don’t want anyone who currently has insurance to not have insurance,” said Kellyanne Conway, a Trump adviser, on Jan. 3. “Also we are very aware that the public likes coverage for pre-existing conditions.”

Some Added Benefits

Does Trump truly back a single-payer plan or has he been casually spouting populist rhetoric while still in campaign mode? It's certainly been easy to be against Obamacare, but there's an upside to Medicare expansion because you could offer access to a popular, low-cost program that could actually reduce the overall costs of health care.

Better yet, MFA could replace the Affordable Care Act, which the GOP is in the process of dismantling, although it hasn't announced a viable replacement plan. Trump has also said he wants to scrap the law.

Here's another political bonus: The animus against Obamacare may not come into play with an expanded Medicare. The program is popular; polls consistently show that the public wants to keep it intact. And universal Medicare would eliminate most of the gripes people now have with Obamacare such as high deductibles, out-of-network fees, rising premiums and coverage gaps, which is a problem with any system anchored by private insurers.

So what would be the incentive for companies to continue having medical insurance as part of their benefits package?

What you are actually talking about id "medicaid for all" not medicare for all.

Health care for all would be good. Torture as U.S. policy is, well, to put it gently, not good.

Some Added Benefits

So what would be the incentive for companies to continue having medical insurance as part of their benefits package?

Companies would no longer HAVE to offer health insurance. They shouldn't have to in the first place. What a MASSIVE cost savings for America's employers.

They could then, if they decide, compete for talent by offering more robust qualified and non-qualified retirement plans.

Some Added Benefits

Companies would no longer HAVE to offer health insurance. They shouldn't have to in the first place. What a MASSIVE cost savings for our employers.

They could then, if they decide, compete for talent by offering better qualified and non-qualified retirement plans.

So after 4 years of undergrad, 1.5 years of grad school, and 20 years with the company, they can just dump my ass into Medicare?

Well that's just fucking great, so once again I get to pay for other people's coverage by having my own fucked up.

THAT WAS THE END RESULT OF FUCKING OBAMACARE!!!!

Some Added Benefits

Companies would no longer HAVE to offer health insurance. They shouldn't have to in the first place. What a MASSIVE cost savings for our employers.

They could then, if they decide, compete for talent by offering better qualified and non-qualified retirement plans.

So after 4 years of undergrad, 1.5 years of grad school, and 20 years with the company, they can just dump my ass into Medicare?

Well that's just fucking great, so once again I get to pay for other people's coverage by having my own fucked up.

People who have Medicare love it. And they love the choices they have when they shop for Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans from a nice, wide range of insurers who are competing and innovating for their business.

Some Added Benefits

Single payer is really the only logical step to take if he's serious about "fixing" healthcare.
It's the only way to keep costs in line and still provide the best of the ACA without yuuge subsidies.

Some Added Benefits

Single payer is really the only logical step to take if he's serious about "fixing" healthcare.
It's the only way to keep costs in line and still provide the best of the ACA without yuuge subsidies.
I don't want Single Payer. The current Medicare / Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage system is a blend of public and private and allows for free market competition and innovation.

Some Added Benefits

People who have Medicare love it. And they love the choices they have when they shop for Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans from a nice, wide range of insurers who are competing and innovating for their business.

because they are old and it's the only game in town. and I'm sure the looove Medicare when it tries to take a house away from a family to cover the costs of an older relative's long term care....

Now try that with people in their prime, people who get injuries from active sports and such, people with terminal diseases that are in the prime of their lives and may not be as willing as an older person to "let nature take its course", and see how it works out....

and you didn't actually answer my problem with it. I played the game by the rules, and now I am going to be squished into the masses, made up of some people who made terrible life choices, and will now be getting a pass for them. Same as Obamacare, same as the $15 minimum wage, same as welfare.

And people wonder why we got Trump.....who I hope isn't really considering this.

Some Added Benefits

because they are old and it's the only game in town. and I'm sure the looove Medicare when it tries to take a house away from a family to cover the costs of an older relative's long term care....

Now try that with people in their prime, people who get injuries from active sports and such, people with terminal diseases that are in the prime of their lives and may not be as willing as an older person to "let nature take its course", and see how it works out....

and you didn't actually answer my problem with it. I played the game by the rules, and now I am going to be squished into the masses, made up of some people who made terrible life choices, and will now be getting a pass for them. Same as Obamacare, same as the $15 minimum wage, same as welfare.

And people wonder why we got Trump.....who I hope isn't really considering this.
You're paying for the freeloaders when you make your premium payments. You're paying for freeloaders when you go to the ER. You're paying for the freeloaders when you buy meds. You're even paying for the freeloaders if you pay cash.

It's all built in to the cost of health care.

Yeah, it's $27 Trillion in unfunded liabilities in the hole and growing every day, so they'll love it right up to the point that the public debt burden becomes so great that it collapses the currency, after that not so much. Those that want to expand it from the current 55 million enrolled to 330 million enrolled are obviously living in an alternate plane of existence where money grows on trees.

You're paying for the freeloaders when you make your premium payments. You're paying for freeloaders when you go to the ER. You're paying for the freeloaders when you buy meds. You're even paying for the freeloaders if you pay cash.

But with this idea the freeloaders get taken care of right out of the box, and that basically creates an incentive for their bad behavior.

And in this case, I lose what I worked for, employer subsidized medical coverage, and get thrown in with everyone, so all my hard work and education basically means nothing.

Yeah, it's $27 Trillion in unfunded liabilities in the hole and growing every day, so they'll love it right up to the point that the public debt burden becomes so great that it collapses the currency, after that not so much. Those that want to expand it from the current 55 million enrolled to 330 million enrolled are obviously living in an alternate plane of existence where money grows on trees.
Then we tweak the system. For example, Medicare pays 80%. Perhaps we'd have to drop that a bit, maybe for the younger people with a sliding scale. When we see problems, we don't just give up. We can work together to find solutions, if our minds are open.

But with this idea the freeloaders get taken care of right out of the box, and that basically creates an incentive for their bad behavior.

And in this case, I lose what I worked for, employer subsidized medical coverage, and get thrown in with everyone, so all my hard work and education basically means nothing.
You didn't put in all that hard work and education so that someone else would pay for your health care coverage, did you?

Forum List

Back