Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

1,000 teacher openings in middle Tennessee with just a few weeks until school opens. Some districts starting pay is $37,000/year. Good luck with that.

I actually don’t think $37,000 is bad for a 21-year-old starting out - and in middle Tennessee.

I just did an inflation calculator on what my starting pay in 1980 would have been in 2022, and it’s $42,000.

So, $37,000 in middle Tennessee or $42,000 in Washington, DC. They’re both “OKish” for a new college grad.

I actually don’t think $37,000 is bad for a 21-year-old starting out - and in middle Tennessee.

I just did an inflation calculator on what my starting pay in 1980 would have been in 2022, and it’s $42,000.

So, $37,000 in middle Tennessee or $42,000 in Washington, DC. They’re both “OKish” for a new college grad.

I'm a free market gal. I think the answer to that question is: are we attracting people to the job for that salary.

We are not. Not even in middle Tennessee. Young people are not going into teaching. And I will tell you: it's no longer about the benefits either. They have slashed my teacher benefits to the point that both my kids, working in Corporate America just out of college (ages 25 and 23), get better benefits than I do.

I'm a free market gal. I think the answer to that question is: are we attracting people to the job for that salary.

We are not. Not even in middle Tennessee. Young people are not going into teaching. And I will tell you: it's no longer about the benefits either. They have slashed my teacher benefits to the point that both my kids, working in Corporate America just out of college (ages 25 and 23), get better benefits than I do.
Wait till you retire. You ain't seen nothing yet.

why would anyone teach in todays environment? parents are rabid and the admins are spineless..the minority is loud and proud (no gay reference) more the proud of the ignorance....book banning etc...

and yes look at the pay...and teachers having to pay for their own class supplies...the end of era of teachers teaching out of dedication and love of teaching...people say its okay for the low pay cause they only work 9 months a year....i swear i wish i could just punch those fools....

again a symptom of a county that doesnt value their children is the lack of free quality education...

That's generally what happens when Progressives run the show, and they most often accuse their opposition of being the problem.

Industry experts say the problem is pretty simple, nobody wants to be a teacher anymore.

To be fair, who needs universal education?

Smart kids will always find a way to learn ... dumb kids can be roofers and fast food workers.

"A strong back is a terrible thing to waste"

hqdefault.jpg

The same people who complain on this believe we have a labor shortage problem. That's fake news. We have low paying jobs left unfilled. Those jobs are being avoided for good reason. And unemployment benefits has zero to do with it

All 3 of my kids are public schooled and have good careers. 2 are making 6 figures. That's almost middle class.

Agree and when that's as manifest as it is there I won't engage. It does me or him no good....only feeds into his issue. Sad, but there it is.
Living in your head rent free, Islamophobic Twit

You really think that someone with a master's degree should be happy with 37K?

Yes, I would imagine your tribe is also a little weird to them. Don't you like democracy?
The thing is, most Homeschoolers have poor socialization skills, which is far more important than anything else you learn in school.

Have you met public schoolers? Most of them are dumbasses.
So are most Christian schoolers... But at least they have socialization skills..

The thing is, most Homeschoolers have poor socialization skills, which is far more important than anything else you learn in school.

So are most Christian schoolers... But at least they have socialization skills..
I don't think socializing skills are as important as a good education.

Most oldsters just say some iteration of this:

"I hated school when I grew up" and

"School should be just like it was when I grew up"

I'm not kidding.
I didn't hate school, but it was pretty boring. I could never figure out what they wanted me to learn, and that there was something I wasn't getting.

The way I understand it there are widespread discipline problems today that didn't exist back in my day. We also didn't have the drug use, pregnancies, or suicides that I hear about today.

Last edited:
You‘ve made plenty of antisemitic comments. Like a lib, your defend Muslims and mock Jews.

You don’t have to have a Master’s to be a teacher. And $37,000 to start out for a job that gives you full summers off is almost the same, in 2022 dollars, that I started with 40 years ago - and I worked year-round.
Yeah, but they have an actual education. Public schools turn out kids indoctrinated with liberal social justice nonsense, who don’t even know when WWI was, how many states there are, or who the 3rd president of the US was.

It's hard to know where to begin when it comes to our schools.

One of the biggest problems is mainstreaming, where kids with severe emotional and mental problems are thrust into schools instead of being given the help they need. What, with the way teachers are not allowed to discipline children these days, everybody loses.

Just as mental illness is a problem thrust upon police, it is a problem thrust upon schools. In borh cases, it takes up far too much time dealing with that could otherwise be spent on other things.

More nitwittery...

I don't think socializing skills are as important as a good education.

Um, yeah, then how is it we have so many dumb people in management? Because they know how to work a room, which is more important than being book smart.

You‘ve made plenty of antisemitic comments. Like a lib, your defend Muslims and mock Jews.

Um, yeah, thing about that. The only reason we have a problem with the Islamic world is because the Jews stole their land. I guess I'm just tired of getting dragged into fights I have nothing to do with. Especially for something as utterly absurd as "Who an Imaginary Sky Pixie promised a strip of desert to".

But to give you some background. Sue told some outright fucking lie about Female Genital Mutilation being a feature of Islam.

I directed her to SCHOLARLY articles showing the practice has been around since ancient times, and it is cultural to North Africa (Christians and Muslims alike).

She then countered with some of the nastiest, racist websites from some Islamophobic idiots she could find.

You don’t have to have a Master’s to be a teacher. And $37,000 to start out for a job that gives you full summers off is almost the same, in 2022 dollars, that I started with 40 years ago - and I worked year-round.

Um, okay... Except my niece got a master's in education, and the best job she could get was teaching Middle Schoolers.

Yeah, but they have an actual education. Public schools turn out kids indoctrinated with liberal social justice nonsense, who don’t even know when WWI was, how many states there are, or who the 3rd president of the US was.

Um, okay. How often does that come up. I'm a history major, and I don't think the dates of WWI or Thomas Jefferson has EVERY come up on a job.

On the other hand, I have had to deal with a lot of people of different cultures on my job. and being able to deal with them sensitively is kind of an important thing. I mean, let's be honest, if someone had taught you at an early age to NOT be a racist twit, you probably wouldn't have been so miserable at your last job when black people got admitted. But you know when WWI happened, and that's important I guess.

Now, on a serious note... yes, I think that we need to have rounded educations. Not just the skills you'd need for a job. Not just the skills you need to interact with people of other races, cultures, and sexual orientations. And not just things like Geography and History which are fun subjects.

And the most miserably unhappy creature in the forum.

What a shame that somebody can go through life knowing only hatred.
Yet you are the one who lets me live in your head.

More nitwittery...

Um, yeah, then how is it we have so many dumb people in management? Because they know how to work a room, which is more important than being book smart.

Um, yeah, thing about that. The only reason we have a problem with the Islamic world is because the Jews stole their land. I guess I'm just tired of getting dragged into fights I have nothing to do with. Especially for something as utterly absurd as "Who an Imaginary Sky Pixie promised a strip of desert to".

But to give you some background. Sue told some outright fucking lie about Female Genital Mutilation being a feature of Islam.

I directed her to SCHOLARLY articles showing the practice has been around since ancient times, and it is cultural to North Africa (Christians and Muslims alike).

She then countered with some of the nastiest, racist websites from some Islamophobic idiots she could find.

Um, okay... Except my niece got a master's in education, and the best job she could get was teaching Middle Schoolers.

Um, okay. How often does that come up. I'm a history major, and I don't think the dates of WWI or Thomas Jefferson has EVERY come up on a job.

On the other hand, I have had to deal with a lot of people of different cultures on my job. and being able to deal with them sensitively is kind of an important thing. I mean, let's be honest, if someone had taught you at an early age to NOT be a racist twit, you probably wouldn't have been so miserable at your last job when black people got admitted. But you know when WWI happened, and that's important I guess.

Now, on a serious note... yes, I think that we need to have rounded educations. Not just the skills you'd need for a job. Not just the skills you need to interact with people of other races, cultures, and sexual orientations. And not just things like Geography and History which are fun subjects.

Yet you are the one who lets me live in your head.
Home schooling is more than book smart. You're biased.

Forum List

Back