Having the proper license to drive farm equipment

Boston1

Gold Member
Dec 26, 2015
Colorado
Hi folks. Odd question but this might save me a trip down to motor vehicles

I'm about the buy a large truck, class 8. Well over 26,001 lb capacity and a trailer. Way over the class limit of my drivers license.

Colorado licensing law says I'd have to get a class A license. But what a pain in the ass.

I own a small place outside town and hd horses there forever and we were allowed farm plates for vehicles to be used on the ranch. So, this huge truck is for ranch use but I need it to transport stuff to Montana once a year and back.

So whats the deal. Do farm plates preclude my having to get the class A license ?

I'm about the buy a large truck, class 8. Well over 26,001 lb capacity and a trailer. Way over the class limit of my drivers license.

Colorado licensing law says I'd have to get a class A license. But what a pain in the ass.

I own a small place outside town and hd horses there forever and we were allowed farm plates for vehicles to be used on the ranch. So, this huge truck is for ranch use but I need it to transport stuff to Montana once a year and back.

So whats the deal. Do farm plates preclude my having to get the class A license ?
Lol @ Boston1 pretending he owns anything :rofl:

He can't be all that bad. Unless... he's an ass f'ing farmer!

He can't be all that bad. Unless... he's an ass f'ing farmer!
He's definitely an ass f'ing something

LOL yeah, be that ass it may, I've got my minions working on it but from what I gather on the FMCSA site, I still have to have a commercial license.

Damn, I was really hoping to avoid that.

96 Freightliner 120 with a Detroit 60 and a 53' drop deck behind. I have a lot of stuff to swap around every summer.

OK I got it figured out. I'm calling it an RV ;--) which means I don't need the CDL, but the insurance is still through the roof.

Don't think a tractor-trailer qualifies as farm equipment...but check the state's laws. You really should get a class A, and you will also need a DOT medical card. If you only need it once a year, it might be better to buy or rent a trailer & hire someone to haul it.

Forum List

Back