Have you ever accidentally discharged a rifle or pistol?

My story ... :cool:

I grew up shooting rifles and shotguns while hunting small game starting at age 10
So when I was in the Army I was a crack shot with my M-16. But I never carried a pistol nor did I receive training with one, and only shot a military issue .45 a few times.

When I completed my 2 year Army conscription, my wife and I rented a small house out in the country. I bought a Colt 1911 .45 pistol to keep around the house since we lived a ways off the main road. Being Mr firearm safety, I kept the pistol unload, safety on, with the clip out, in a holster between the mattress and box springs of my bed.

One night about 2am I heard something, or someone prowling around outside. Still half asleep, I got the pistol, put the clip in, chambered a round, and walked around the outside of the house. Finding nothing, I figured it was just an animal and went back inside. Priding myself as being very safety conscious. I took the clip out of the pistol and placed them both back under the mattress.

(did you catch my mistake?)

A few weeks later a friend come over to the house. I was a cool crisp fall day, so we started a fire in the brick fireplace and pushed the couch up close to take advantage of the heat. I mentioned the new pistol I'd purchased and wanted to show him. Being Mr safety, I only brought out the pistol, and left the clip full of bullets still under the mattress.

I set down in the middle of the couch with my wife on one side and my friend on the other. I took the pistol, pointed it at the fireplace, to show my friend how smooth the trigger action was, and pulled the trigger.

Boom!!! The wife and my friend jumped straight up into the air, and my wife was hysterically screaming her brains out. Between the loud discharge and her screaming, my ears were ringing. I went completely limp and couldn't move a muscle. I just knew I'd been hit by a ricochet bullet. I just set there and slowly moved my eyes scanning myself for a bloody bullet hole.

I had forgotten about chambering the bullet that night looking for a prowler and put the pistol away loaded!!

When everything calmed down, and thankfully no one was hurt. I looked at the fire place to see where the bullet struck it.
By pure luck, the bullet had embedded itself in the soft mortar between two bricks and didn't ricochet.
That's why you always clear a weapon when you handle it and ALWAYS treat one as loaded even if you "know" it's unloaded.

I grew up shooting rifles and shotguns while hunting small game starting at age 10
So when I was in the Army I was a crack shot with my M-16. But I never carried a pistol nor did I receive training with one, and only shot a military issue .45 a few times.

When I completed my 2 year Army conscription, my wife and I rented a small house out in the country. I bought a Colt 1911 .45 pistol to keep around the house since we lived a ways off the main road. Being Mr firearm safety, I kept the pistol unload, safety on, with the clip out, in a holster between the mattress and box springs of my bed.

One night about 2am I heard something, or someone prowling around outside. Still half asleep, I got the pistol, put the clip in, chambered a round, and walked around the outside of the house. Finding nothing, I figured it was just an animal and went back inside. Priding myself as being very safety conscious. I took the clip out of the pistol and placed them both back under the mattress.

A few weeks later a friend come over to the house. I was a cool crisp fall day, so we started a fire in the brick fireplace and pushed the couch up close to take advantage of the heat. I mentioned the new pistol I'd purchased and wanted to show him. Being Mr safety, I only brought out the pistol, and left the clip full of bullets still under the mattress.

I set down in the middle of the couch with my wife on one side and my friend on the other. I took the pistol, pointed it at the fireplace, to show my friend how smooth the trigger action was, and pulled the trigger.

Boom!!! The wife and my friend jumped straight up into the air, and my wife was hysterically screaming her brains out. Between the loud discharge and her screaming, my ears were ringing. I went completely limp and couldn't move a muscle. I just knew I'd been hit by a ricochet bullet. I just set there and slowly moved my eyes scanning myself for a bloody bullet hole.

I had forgotten about chambering the bullet that night looking for a prowler and put the pistol away loaded!!

When everything calmed down, and thankfully no one was hurt. I looked at the fire place to see where the bullet struck it.
By pure luck, the bullet had embedded itself in the soft mortar between two bricks and didn't ricochet.
That's why you always clear a weapon when you handle it and ALWAYS treat one as loaded even if you "know" it's unloaded.

Thats an obvious truth.

The more you shoot the more likely an accident is going to happen,all you can do is your best to eliminate those accidents.

I've never had an accidental discharge, but I used to have a M-1 Garand that had a worn sear that would accidently go to full auto at times. You haven't lived until you pull the trigger at the range expecting one carefully aimed shot, and two seconds later you are looking at the sky having fired eight with the last six going somewhere high and far away. I didn't know any good gunsmiths at he time so I sold the rifle carefully telling the buyer that he needed the sear replaced.

It should be a habit to always point the weapon in a safe direction and that means never never never pointing it at a person unless you intend to kill them. I came home one morning after a long graveyard shift and found that my wife left a .22 rifle on the kitchen table. No big deal. I took the magazine out and pointed it at the floor and pulled the trigger. The bullet is still in the wood floor. A stupid move but habit made me point it at the floor and not the ceiling or the refrigerator or my eye. When my daughter got her permit she asked me what kind of handgun I recommended for home defense. My opinion was (and is) a revolver. There is no safety to worry about or an unseen round forgotten in the chamber or a magazine put in backwards in haste.

Last edited:
I start each of my son's rifle training and shooting at age 8 using a BB gun.
From day 1 they were instructed about using the safety when loading the rifle and muzzle discipline. Which is the same way my father taught me. ... :cool:

I haven't, but a friend years ago did loading a 30/30 lever action. He was hungover as hell and loading it in the cabin, for reasons unknown he had the hammer cocked and was trying to slowly uncock it with his thumb which slipped. Really didn't have a safety. As I came out of bedroom it went off. My ears were ringing and scared the hell out of me. Luckily it was pointed away and he shot a hole in the cabin.
He never went deer hunting again after that.

One night about 2am I heard something, or someone prowling around outside. Still half asleep, I got the pistol, put the clip in, chambered a round, and walked around the outside of the house. I figured it was just an animal and went back inside. Priding myself as being very safety conscious. I took the clip out of the pistol and placed them both back under the mattress.

It should be second nature for you to clear the chamber if you were in the military.
an empty chamber is damn near a useless gun,,,

If you have children, that's the damn point.

One night about 2am I heard something, or someone prowling around outside. Still half asleep, I got the pistol, put the clip in, chambered a round, and walked around the outside of the house. I figured it was just an animal and went back inside. Priding myself as being very safety conscious. I took the clip out of the pistol and placed them both back under the mattress.

It should be second nature for you to clear the chamber if you were in the military.

not if you teach em proper,,,

You teach them to make sure to clear the chamber before storage. That's like, responsible firearms ownership 101, dude.

You teach them to make sure to clear the chamber before storage. That's like, responsible firearms ownership 101, dude.
what good is a stored gun???

every guns loaded unless it isnt,,,

I hate to bust your bubble but not all firearms are kept for self defense.

OK,,,

Because I don't walk around with a 30-6, a shotgun or an SKS. I only have two hands. Gun safes are sold for a reason. I don't live in the hulk of a war torn warlord's villa.

Take your pick.

Because I don't walk around with a 30-6, a shotgun or an SKS. I only have two hands. Gun safes are sold for a reason. I don't live in the hulk of a war torn warlord's villa.

Take your pick.
ok,,,

I don't usually prescribe gun collection but some people should have the flat black panel truck pull up in the wee hours with the black clad people to confiscate their guns. We all would sleep just a little sounder.

(That should get PH to spend the night polishing his guns under the bed for a few days)

I don't usually prescribe gun collection but some people should have the flat black panel truck pull up in the wee hours with the black clad people to confiscate their guns. We all would sleep just a little sounder.

(That should get PH to spend the night polishing his guns under the bed for a few days)
are you describing yourself???

Forum List

Back