Have the Americans accepted that gun crime is a price worth paying to be able to hold arms?

"Have the Americans accepted that gun crime is a price worth paying to be able to hold arms?"

Loaded question fallacy.

This is a mental health issue, not a 'gun' issue, having nothing to do with gun control, gun laws, or the Second Amendment.

There are two fundamental elements in play with this and other like incidents: the unwillingness or inability of Americans to implement comprehensive mental health programs and policies, and the inherently violent nature of American society, where violence is perceived as a legitimate means of conflict resolution.

Second Amendment jurisprudence in no way 'facilitates' gun violence, it concerns solely safeguarding the right to possess a firearm pursuant to the right of self-defense from unwarranted government regulation and interference – and rightfully so given the wrongheaded notion that crimes such as that which occurred in Oregon are the result of 'too many guns' that are 'too easily' acquired.

The resolution to this problem will be realized through the political – not legal – process, where the American people must insist in the funding and implementation of comprehensive mental health programs and policies and address the violent nature of American society.

I agree. This is an issue mainly about the nature of US society.

The problem is we know that the politicians won't do anything useful about this.

We know most people on this forum won't demand something useful be done.

The left will scream only about guns and demand this and that, generally that guns are banned, and the right will scream at the left and insult them and ignore everything else.

Downhill goes the USA.

yeah, what do you expect them to do? They aren't OUR DICTATORS. and you don't like our rights maybe you should move. how about we demand abortions be banned? you'll go for that right?

Last edited:
Guns are part of my way of life. They have always been a part of the generations before me. We pass them down as we expire

The confederate flag was taken from us, but it lacked a Bill of Rights protection

They'll never take our guns. To many lives would be lost doing so. We can take the deaths in Chicago and sleep at night. Try taking Americans firearms is akin to a the logistical nightmare we're told deportation would be

Again, to many lives would be lost in a confiscation process

Plus, we wont let it happen

-Geaux

When I see a bumper sticker that says, "When guns are confiscated they will take my gun from my cold, dead hands," it seems like a good idea.

Guns are a sick brutal fascination of sick, brutal men.

^^^^^^^^^^^ :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unusal%20people.gif

Last edited:
"Have the Americans accepted that gun crime is a price worth paying to be able to hold arms?"
The realists among them have said [mass killings] are the price they are prepared to pay.

I say it all the time. It's acceptable risk to live in America.....At least for now.. Let Obama destroy a little more of the American way, and perhaps, we won't accept the risk any longer

We'll move to Belize

-Geaux

I do not think any other country wants an influx of loathsome, right wing gun lovers, certainly no civilized country.

Oh... civilized... LMAO

-Geaux

Guns are part of my way of life. They have always been a part of the generations before me. We pass them down as we expire

The confederate flag was taken from us, but it lacked a Bill of Rights protection

They'll never take our guns. To many lives would be lost doing so. We can take the deaths in Chicago and sleep at night. Try taking Americans firearms is akin to a the logistical nightmare we're told deportation would be

-Geaux

When I see a bumper sticker that says, "When guns are confiscated they will take my gun from my cold, dead hands," it seems like a good idea.

lol, I'm a woman and I love guns. what does that make me? good grief
some people are fascinated with knives, swords, cars, and all those can be used for killing. are those a sick brutal fascination of sick people?

Gun lovers are disgusting. I want the government to punish those disgusting people by repealing the Second Amendment and confiscating privately owned guns. I favor confiscation without compensation. The private ownership of a gun should be an extremely serious offense, severely punished.

In civilized countries even conservatives ask, "Why would anyone want to own a gun?"

The American love affair with the gun is a symptom of a sick society.

Well, At least you'll admit it

-Geaux

-Geaux

lol, I'm a woman and I love guns. what does that make me? good grief
some people are fascinated with knives, swords, cars, and all those can be used for killing. are those a sick brutal fascination of sick people?

Gun lovers are disgusting. I want the government to punish those disgusting people by repealing the Second Amendment and confiscating privately owned guns. I favor confiscation without compensation. The private ownership of a gun should be an extremely serious offense, severely punished.

In civilized countries even conservatives ask, "Why would anyone want to own a gun?"

The American love affair with the gun is a symptom of a sick society.
well I guess it's a good thing you don't live here. Each to their own. so what do you think abortion does for a Society, MAKE IT HEALTHY?

For every abortion there is a woman who does not want to raise a child, or another one. Fewer people mean that there is more of everything good to go around.

Loaded question fallacy.

This is a mental health issue, not a 'gun' issue, having nothing to do with gun control, gun laws, or the Second Amendment.

There are two fundamental elements in play with this and other like incidents: the unwillingness or inability of Americans to implement comprehensive mental health programs and policies, and the inherently violent nature of American society, where violence is perceived as a legitimate means of conflict resolution.

Second Amendment jurisprudence in no way 'facilitates' gun violence, it concerns solely safeguarding the right to possess a firearm pursuant to the right of self-defense from unwarranted government regulation and interference – and rightfully so given the wrongheaded notion that crimes such as that which occurred in Oregon are the result of 'too many guns' that are 'too easily' acquired.

The resolution to this problem will be realized through the political – not legal – process, where the American people must insist in the funding and implementation of comprehensive mental health programs and policies and address the violent nature of American society.

I agree. This is an issue mainly about the nature of US society.

The problem is we know that the politicians won't do anything useful about this.

We know most people on this forum won't demand something useful be done.

The left will scream only about guns and demand this and that, generally that guns are banned, and the right will scream at the left and insult them and ignore everything else.

Downhill goes the USA.

yeah, what do you expect them to do? They aren't OUR DICTATORS. and you don't like our rights maybe you should move. how about we demand abortions be banned? you'll go for that right?

Are you replying to my post? Because I don't see the connection here.

On Air Now in the UK!

Have the Americans accepted that gun crime is a price worth paying to be able to hold arms?
Join the conversation:
Call: 0345 60 60 973 | Text: 84850

Tweet: @lbc | Email the studio

AUDIO
LBC Radio - Leading Britain's Conversation | DAB Digital Radio And 97.3FM

No, it's that we are smart enough to know that guns aren't the problem.

OK. If guns aren't the problem, then what is? More people die by guns in the US than in other first world country s
GunDeaths.gif

More people under 26 die from guns than die from cars
CapGuns.png

We spend millions every year studying auto safety and ways to reduce auto deaths, but we are prohibited by laws advocated by the NRA and pushed through by right wingers from even keeping statistics on gun violence. We are prohibited by law from even studying the problem. Are you satisfied with more than 32,000 people per year dying from gun violence?
gun_deaths_vs_abortion.jpg

Just sayin'.

On Air Now in the UK!

Join the conversation:

AUDIO

OK. If guns aren't the problem, then what is? More people die by guns in the US than in other first world country s
GunDeaths.gif

CapGuns.png

We spend millions every year studying auto safety and ways to reduce auto deaths, but we are prohibited by laws advocated by the NRA and pushed through by right wingers from even keeping statistics on gun violence. We are prohibited by law from even studying the problem. Are you satisfied with more than 32,000 people per year dying from gun violence?

Just sayin'.
You're just trying to change the subject and dodge the question. Why do we have more deaths here than in any other first world country?

On Air Now in the UK!

Join the conversation:

AUDIO

GunDeaths.gif

CapGuns.png

Just sayin'.
You're just trying to change the subject and dodge the question.
Not at all. That's obviously all you.

Why do we have more deaths here than in any other first world country?
1) I don't think we have more deaths than any other first world country. The U.S. mortality rate is probably on par or better than most.

2) That's not the question. Check the top of the page.

The question regards the cost of recognizing, respecting, and preserving the right to keep and bear arms. There is a cost associated with rights. Anyone who values rights must accept that fact. If the acceptable cost for protecting the human right of personal autonomy is millions of human lives when discussing abortion, then the discussion regarding guns--the personal autonomy appurtenant to having the most effective tools to defend one's life--deserves the benefit of the perspective of relative cost.

On Air Now in the UK!

Join the conversation:

AUDIO

GunDeaths.gif

CapGuns.png

Just sayin'.

1) I don't think we have more deaths than any other first world country. The U.S. mortality rate is probably on par or better than most.

The question regards the cost of recognizing, respecting, and preserving the right to keep and bear arms. There is a cost associated with rights. Anyone who values rights must accept that fact. If the acceptable cost for protecting the human right of personal autonomy is millions of human lives when discussing abortion, then the discussion regarding guns--the personal autonomy appurtenant to having the most effective tools to defend one's life--deserves the benefit of the perspective of relative cost.

You don't understand that mortality rate is not the same as mortality rate due to gun violence?

GunDeaths.gif

CapGuns.png

Just sayin'.

You don't understand that mortality rate is not the same as mortality rate due to gun violence?
Yes.

Do you understand that when you deliberately create the special category of "gun violence" so that you can simultaneously include violence that was not caused by guns; and exclude violence caused by people (but without using guns), you tacitly admit that you're JUST FINE with all the violence in the world... provided no gun was involved?

Asserting that "gun violence" would be diminished by removing guns, is asserting the same kind of meaningless tautology that asserts getting rid of boats would diminish drownings; the argument is specious, and it distracts from discussing a "violence problem" ... a problem that is not solvable by the gun-control laws typically proposed.

gun-ownership-vs-crime-by-state-20071.png

There is an abundance of reasearch, with an abundance of objective data, that CLEARLY demonstrate that there is ZERO causal relation between guns and violence.

Guns are clearly and irrefutably NOT the cause of any kind of violence. They DON'T cause it.

But we digress, yes?

The question you're dodging by changing the subject, is whether the cost of respecting our civil, political, and constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms is acceptable.

As I have already said, anyone who values rights must accept the fact that there is are costs associated with respecting and preserving rights. If the acceptable cost for protecting the human right of personal autonomy is millions of human lives when discussing abortion, then the discussion regarding guns--the personal autonomy appurtenant to having the most effective tools to defend one's life--deserves the benefit of the perspective of relative cost.

No sane person ever considered ending a human life to be their Right. That's a psychopath's notion.

Yet over a million defenseless human lives are electively ended every year, euphemistically under the umbrella of "healthcare." Protected as an exercise of a Right.

That is the accepted cost of preserving the human right to personal autonomy when we're discussing abortion using the best medical practices.

Over a million defenseless human lives.

I don't like that cost, but if that's what it takes to prevent the whole of society from turning human beings into brood animals, personal property, and the involuntary means to the ends of others, then its the price that must be paid.

I get that.

But when we're discussing preserving personal autonomy, through the right to possess the best tools to defend human lives from those with in possession of a perverse entitlement to violence against their fellows, the cost of a few thousand human lives--"gun deaths" if you really must--is suddenly unacceptably high. (Most commonly amongst the proponents of "choice".)

I don't get that.

Many of the human lives we lose were made defenseless by "common sense" gun control laws enacted by persons with their own sense of entitlement to violence against their constituency. I cite every "gun free zone," " mandatory waiting period," and prohibitionist owner/gun registration law as examples.

These are criminal acts perpetrated against all of us, and most particularly against those amongst us most likely to be the targets of the criminally violent. You know, like children, women, and gay folk.

I'd like to think we all agree that women folk (amongst others) possess the human right to defend themselves with the tool(s) of their individual choosing, against the aggressions of those (and their elected proxies) who consider them property . I'd like to think we agree that said right--constitutionally--shall not be infringed for all the OBVIOUS reasons.

Because it's worth the cost. And the cost is what we're talking about, right?

Last edited:
GunDeaths.gif

CapGuns.png

Just sayin'.

Yes.

Do you understand that when you deliberately create the special category of "gun violence" so that you can simultaneously include violence that was not caused by guns; and exclude violence caused by people (but without using guns), you tacitly admit that you're JUST FINE with all the violence in the world... provided no gun was involved?

Asserting that "gun violence" would be diminished by removing guns, is asserting the same kind of meaningless tautology that asserts getting rid of boats would diminish drownings; the argument is specious, and it distracts from discussing a "violence problem" ... a problem that is not solvable by the gun-control laws typically proposed.

There is an abundance of reasearch, with an abundance of objective data, that CLEARLY demonstrate that there is ZERO causal relation between guns and violence.

Guns are clearly and irrefutably NOT the cause of any kind of violence. They DON'T cause it.

But we digress, yes?

The question you're dodging by changing the subject, is whether the cost of respecting our civil, political, and constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms is acceptable.

As I have already said, anyone who values rights must accept the fact that there is are costs associated with respecting and preserving rights. If the acceptable cost for protecting the human right of personal autonomy is millions of human lives when discussing abortion, then the discussion regarding guns--the personal autonomy appurtenant to having the most effective tools to defend one's life--deserves the benefit of the perspective of relative cost.

No sane person ever considered ending a human life to be their Right. That's a psychopath's notion.

Yet over a million defenseless human lives are electively ended every year, euphemistically under the umbrella of "healthcare." Protected as an exercise of a Right.

That is the accepted cost of preserving the human right to personal autonomy when we're discussing abortion using the best medical practices.

I don't like that cost, but if that's what it takes to prevent the whole of society from turning human beings into brood animals, personal property, and the involuntary means to the ends of others, then its the price that must be paid.

I get that.

But when we're discussing preserving personal autonomy, through the right to possess the best tools to defend human lives from those with in possession of a perverse entitlement to violence against their fellows, the cost of a few thousand human lives--"gun deaths" if you really must--is suddenly unacceptably high. (Most commonly amongst the proponents of "choice".)

I don't get that.

Many of the human lives we lose were made defenseless by "common sense" gun control laws enacted by persons with their own sense of entitlement to violence against their constituency. I cite every "gun free zone," " mandatory waiting period," and prohibitionist owner/gun registration law as examples.

These are criminal acts perpetrated against all of us, and most particularly against those amongst us most likely to be the targets of the criminally violent. You know, like children, women, and gay folk.

I'd like to think we all agree that women folk (amongst others) possess the human right to defend themselves with the tool(s) of their individual choosing, against the aggressions of those (and their elected proxies) who consider them property . I'd like to think we agree that said right--constitutionally--shall not be infringed for all the OBVIOUS reasons.

Gun violence just includes violence involving guns. Other causes aren't included.

Just sayin'.

Yes.

But we digress, yes?

I get that.

I don't get that.

Gun violence just includes violence involving guns. Other causes aren't included.
I know.

Yes.

But we digress, yes?

I get that.

I don't get that.

I know.

Perfect example of right wing logic. Makes no sense at all. Not sure how specifically discussing gun violence includes other types of violence as you claim, but I'm sure a right winger would.

Yes.

But we digress, yes?

I get that.

I don't get that.

I know.

Perfect example of right wing logic. Makes no sense at all. Not sure how specifically discussing gun violence includes other types of violence as you claim, but I'm sure a right winger would.
Valid logic. You are deliberately misreading what I wrote. Typical example of the intellectually dishonest... from both sides of the aisle.

The term "gun violence" is a meaningless tautology. (<---click on the link provided if you're unfamiliar with the term.)

When you deliberately create the special category of "gun violence" so that you can simultaneously include violence that was not caused by guns; and exclude violence caused by people (but without using guns), you tacitly admit that you're JUST FINE with all the violence in the world... provided no gun was involved.

Last edited:
You're just trying to change the subject and dodge the question. Why do we have more deaths here than in any other first world country?
One word:
Demographics
Care to explain further?
Sure.
Look at VT. No state or local level gun control. Virtually no gun-related crime - per capita, lower than almost all of Europe.
Look at CA. Draconian state and local level gun control gun control. Rampant gun related crime, significantly higher than the US averages.
See:
"Reasonable" gun control vs "gun nut gun control" | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Why the difference?

Forum List

Back