Has anyone seen any Salvation Army bell ringers this year?

No, I have not.
But I have not been shopping too much.

Has anyone seen any Salvation Army bell ringers this year? I have not.

Yesterday in front of the Wal-Mart I shop at. And another at another one a couple weeks or so ago. And one of the neighbor kids came by collecting canned food a week or so ago.

Outside a Walmart and I gave a donation. I try not to get out too much during holiday shopping. The donation centers I have seen on the news are filled to the gills with donations that have already been sorted, packed and ready for delivery. The generosity of East Tennesseans always amazes me and it's not just at Christmas - it's all year long. When tragedy strikes it seems like no one asks "What to you need?" - they merely show up and say "Here it is."

I think the moniker "The Volunteer State" has it's origins somewhere in pioneering history but it sure lives up to the name today.

My fam and I don't give charity to groups. There's a significant population of homeless here and we prefer putting donations right in their hands. Sure, they may misuse it, but what gives another pleasure is up to them. Rather not have a majority of my charity going to the group or as was the case in Japan after the tsunami, going to whaling efforts instead of tsunami victims.

It's a commandment to be charitable. But much more rewarding putting your charity right into someone's hand be it cash, an extra sandwich from somewhere, or an old warm coat. There's no accountability for where you money actually goes if you give it some big company and some of your donation always goes to pay people's salary. It's not a scam but definitely not very efficient. To see a breakdown of a charity's costs and how much of each dollar actually goes to who or whatever use a charity watchdog site like:

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home

Also, for the animal lovers out there, quit donating to the ASPCA. They actually euthanize more animals than they save. Donate instead to any no-kill shelter group.

Last year there was the cutest little girl in a pink fake fur coat standing there ringing the bell. I gave them a dollar just because she was so cute. Seems they were rotating out letting kids whose parents were just running in for something quick stand there with them. If that little girl had been there the whole time, they would have cleaned up.

Has anyone seen any Salvation Army bell ringers this year? I have not.

No, I haven't but that is no doubt, because I get to the stores way before they do. The Salvation Army is my favorite charity and I am delighted to contribute to them. :D

The Salvation Army in Nashville has (or did when I was there) an inpatient drug and alcohol treatment program that is second to none. I saw a lot of their patients, and I used to get a kick out of their gripes. Without exception every guy there would say he was the only one who did any work around the place! LOL.

You just can't effectively treat an addict with a 3 day stay, which is about all most insurances pay for these days. You've got to keep them inpatient at least a month and then get them in AA/NA for their 90 meetings in 90 days.

My fam and I don't give charity to groups. There's a significant population of homeless here and we prefer putting donations right in their hands. Sure, they may misuse it, but what gives another pleasure is up to them. Rather not have a majority of my charity going to the group or as was the case in Japan after the tsunami, going to whaling efforts instead of tsunami victims.

It's a commandment to be charitable. But much more rewarding putting your charity right into someone's hand be it cash, an extra sandwich from somewhere, or an old warm coat. There's no accountability for where you money actually goes if you give it some big company and some of your donation always goes to pay people's salary. It's not a scam but definitely not very efficient. To see a breakdown of a charity's costs and how much of each dollar actually goes to who or whatever use a charity watchdog site like:

Also, for the animal lovers out there, quit donating to the ASPCA. They actually euthanize more animals than they save. Donate instead to any no-kill shelter group.

You might want to reconsider that. Yeah, they spend it on alcohol, but most don't know that drinking alcohol makes those who are out in the cold more susceptible to the cold and can even cause them to die. It is not a good practice to give them money directly. Handing them a meal would be better.

I don't give to any human beings whether it be charity or individuals.

I've been on the receiving end and know better.

Not all charities are the same, ad Salvation Army is one of the best. They actually DO provide housing, food, clothes, and other assistance to the poorest and most desperate...and anybody who appeals to them for assistance. They have outlets within driving distance of pretty much every spot in the US...they started and continue to operate under a true Christiann ethic.

I don't dictate to others how they should distribute charity, unlike you, but I can ask that you not libel all charitable organizations with the same parchment. The most annoying thing about charitable progressives is their overweening SMUGNESS about it.

Forum List

Back