Guy is 27, still single and never dated.....

.... would you make the assumption he is gay?
if not, what would you speculate?

Incredibly shy, Aspergers. There are other possibilities but based on so little info this is where I would start.

Not so much shy and maybe not confident? However, he will try anything - meaning, he'll do things like give a presentation at work, do something daring/dangerous - he's awkward in his speech, but, only when it comes to stuff he's not familiar with - it's hard to explain... like he's either filtering what he is saying before he says it, or he's slow to gather his thoughts. But extremely smart otherwise.

Aspergers would be my thought. They can be very., very smart, but they truly do not understand, and can't understand social norms. I had one kid who worked for me who was high functioning Aspergers and I was able to coach him in how to behave around women. What was expected in certain moments or interactions etc. He ended up marrying a nice girl and they have a couple of wonderful kids. He still doesn't understand why they need his affection but he gives them the affection as best he can.

We still talk and invariably a question will come up about how he should respond in a certain situation. He files my suggestions away and then trots them out as needed. For us it is natural, we need not think about it. For him it is like watching a computer work as he go's through the various permutations and figures out which response is the most appropriate. It has been well over two decades now so his responses are almost normal for the vast majority of his interactions. Most people would never know..

.... would you make the assumption he is gay?
if not, what would you speculate?

Incredibly shy, Aspergers. There are other possibilities but based on so little info this is where I would start.

Not so much shy and maybe not confident? However, he will try anything - meaning, he'll do things like give a presentation at work, do something daring/dangerous - he's awkward in his speech, but, only when it comes to stuff he's not familiar with - it's hard to explain... like he's either filtering what he is saying before he says it, or he's slow to gather his thoughts. But extremely smart otherwise.

Aspergers would be my thought. They can be very., very smart, but they truly do not understand, and can't understand social norms. I had one kid who worked for me who was high functioning Aspergers and I was able to coach him in how to behave around women. What was expected in certain moments or interactions etc. He ended up marrying a nice girl and they have a couple of wonderful kids. He still doesn't understand why they need his affection but he gives them the affection as best he can.

We still talk and invariably a question will come up about how he should respond in a certain situation. He files my suggestions away and then trots them out as needed. For us it is natural, we need not think about it. For him it is like watching a computer work as he go's through the various permutations and figures out which response is the most appropriate. It has been well over two decades now so his responses are almost normal for the vast majority of his interactions. Most people would never know..

I have recommended (and he acknowledges the need) to go to some form of counseling. Not sure I want to bring up Asperger's....

Smart guy, he evidently doesn't want to ruin his life with a relationship...

He is concerned about the responsibility of it and giving up his freedom.
He won't get a pet for the same reason...

Why complicate life??Jesus didn't have a babe or a dog...What was his problem? No genitalia?

why why WHY do you always have to go THERE!!!!?????

Why complicate life??Jesus didn't have a babe or a dog...What was his problem? No genitalia?

It's a basis for humanity...Just like who is Gods' God?Someone had to create God...It just never ends...

It's a basis for humanity...Just like who is Gods' God?Someone had to create God...It just never ends...

Yeah but this is not even a religious discussion! (or, wasn't rather!)

You mean Jesus didn't ever have any private time, you know to contemplate the universe and why he will go blind if he masturbates????

You mean Jesus didn't ever have any private time, you know to contemplate the universe and why he will go blind if he masturbates????

You are just saying that stuff to offend me. It's totally off topic! Silly troll! If you want to debate me about Jesus and salvation, you can call me out in the Religion Forum... I'll participate...

You are just saying that stuff to offend me. It's totally off topic! Silly troll! If you want to debate me about Jesus and salvation, you can call me out in the Religion Forum... I'll participate...
There is nothing religious about the sexuality of Jesus..I mean, My God....His characteristics are the same as the kids you was discussing....

1) Maybe he has been done wrong by women before.

2) Does not know how to socialize ; or could have had a sheltered childhood .

3) Does not know how to go on a date, would feel embarrassed if a date went wrong.

4) Never met a female he was compatible with.

5) Could be socially inept. Has social problems, poor social skills.

Some of the best romantic relationships are a couple who have been friends for years. They know each other well and are comfortable with each other . They have no communication barriers.

There could be hundreds of reasons why this guy has never been on a date.
What was his upbringing ? How much control did his parents have on him ?

Shadow 355

Bonzi in boxer shorts , muscle shirt and canvas tennis shoes. Boxing gloves up at eye level.

Hah - I gotta see this.

Shadow 355

Haven't we all known socially awkward people?

Really none of our business whether they are virgins or not, whether they are straight or not.

Unless he is asking you for advise, or to set him up on dates- what does it matter?

Is he kind?

That is really the only question I have.

He is a good person. But he can be selfish and rude at times, but I'm not even sure he is aware he is being so if that makes sense.....

Selfish and rude. Why?

Social problem ? Psyche problem ? Family problem ? Work place related problem ?

Some people are hitting this guy pretty hard and they do not even know him.

What is the underlying cause ?

Shadow 355

Haven't we all known socially awkward people?

Really none of our business whether they are virgins or not, whether they are straight or not.

Unless he is asking you for advise, or to set him up on dates- what does it matter?

Is he kind?

That is really the only question I have.

He is a good person. But he can be selfish and rude at times, but I'm not even sure he is aware he is being so if that makes sense.....

Selfish and rude. Why?

Social problem ? Psyche problem ? Family problem ? Work place related problem ?

Some people are hitting this guy pretty hard and they do not even know him.

What is the underlying cause ?

Shadow 355

That's the interesting question.
Is it caused by upbringing or past experiences?
Or something like Asperger's or another "born with it" issue?
Dunno

Bonzi in boxer shorts , muscle shirt and canvas tennis shoes. Boxing gloves up at eye level.

Hah - I gotta see this.

Shadow 355

maybe that will be my next Avie (which I can't change until Feb 23rd @ 9:00am!)

Some people are late bloomers. Some of you who post here claim that you didn't lose your virginity until you were in your 20s, so what's the big deal? Maybe he's not a very "sexual" fellow?

Maybe he is dating someone but doesn't wanna' tell you about it?

Believe it or not some people DO wanna'e keep their private lives private.

Forum List

Back