Guns only in the home? This woman would likely disagree with that...after being raped by guy on electronic monitoring for sex assault.

Second, raw data from the 1979-1985 installments of the Justice Department's annual National Crime Victim Survey show that when a woman resists a stranger rape with a gun, the probability of completion was 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all stranger rapes (Kleck, Social Problems, 1990).

This reminds me of when they started putting electronic ECM anti-theft systems into cars. It was supposed to make them impossible to steal. That even the practice of removing the ignition lock wouldn't bypass the electronic signal from the ignition key needed to start the car.

And instead thieves turned to a different method. Car-jacking.

I suspect that wide use of open or concealed carry, would result in a similar evolution in how criminals attack their victims.

Criminals respond to risk and reward.....

http://www.davekopel.com/2A/LawRev/LawyersGunsBurglars.htm#FN;F64

C. In Homes and on the Street
Rengert and Wasilchick's book about how burglars work reveals that fear of armed homeowners played a major role in determining burglary targets. Burglars reported that they avoided late-night burglaries because, "That's the way to get shot." [FN63] Some burglars said that they shun burglaries in neighborhoods with people of mostly a different race because, "You'll get shot if you're caught there." [FN64]

The most thorough study of burglary patterns was a St. Louis survey of 105 currently active burglars. [FN65] The authors observed, "One of the most serious risks faced by residential burglars is the possibility of being injured or killed by occupants of a target. Many of the offenders

Said one burglar: "I don't think about gettin' caught, I think about gettin' gunned down, shot or somethin'...'cause you get into some people's houses...quick as I come in there, boom, they hit you right there. That's what I think about."
Another burglar explained:

Hey, wouldn't you blow somebody away if someone broke into your house and you don't know them? You hear this noise and they come breakin' in the window tryin' to get into your house, they gon' want to kill you anyway. See, with the police, they gon' say, "Come out with your hands up and don't do nothing foolish!" Okay, you still alive, but you goin' to jail. But you alive. You sneak into somebody's house and they wait til you get in the house and then they shoot you.. . .See what I'm sayin'? You can't explain nothin' to nobody; you layin' down in there dead! [FN67]
In contrast, Missouri is one of only nine states which has no provision for citizens to be issued permits to carry handguns for protection. Thus, a criminal in St. Louis faces a very high risk that the target of a home invasion may have a lawful gun for protection, but minimal risk that the target of a street robbery will have a lawful firearm for defense.

The same authors who studied active St. Louis burglars conducted another study of active St. Louis armed robbers. [FN68] They found that "ome of the offenders who favored armed robbery over other crimes *355 maintained that the offense was also safer than burglary. . .." [FN69] As one armed robber put it: "My style is, like, don't have to be up in nobody's house in case they come in; they might have a pistol in the house or something." [FN70]

On the streets, many of the St. Louis robbers "routinely targeted law-abiding citizens," [FN71] who, unlike their counterparts in most American states, were certain not to be carrying a gun for protection. Law-abiding citizens were chosen as robbery victims because, as one robber noted, "You don't want to pick somebody dangerous; they might have a gun themselves." [FN72]

In addition to the St. Louis study, the Wright-Rossi National Institute of Justice surveyed felony prisoners in eleven state prison systems on the impact of victim firearms on burglar behavior. [FN73] In that survey, seventy-four percent of the convicts who had committed a burglary or violent crime agreed, "One reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot." [FN74]

Actually the opposite should be true. States have long maintained that they will allow even the most dangerous of behaviors, as long as the people are trained, regulated and licensed.

Where there is no such scheme, they instead ban the behavior, as too dangerous.

Nope......mandatory training, and other requirements are used to keep law abiding people from being able to own and carry guns.......that is why I don't support those anti-gun schemes...

The government can't make a law prohibiting an otherwise lawful behavior, without doing a "compelling government" interest test, with "least intrusive" required of their methodology.

Training, licensing etc, would nullify that compelling interest, thus preventing an outright ban.

Actually the opposite should be true. States have long maintained that they will allow even the most dangerous of behaviors, as long as the people are trained, regulated and licensed.

Where there is no such scheme, they instead ban the behavior, as too dangerous.

Nope......mandatory training, and other requirements are used to keep law abiding people from being able to own and carry guns.......that is why I don't support those anti-gun schemes...

The government can't make a law prohibiting an otherwise lawful behavior, without doing a "compelling government" interest test, with "least intrusive" required of their methodology.

Training, licensing etc, would nullify that compelling interest, thus preventing an outright ban.

No.....the 2nd Amendment is quite clear.....it is ignored by left wing, anti-gun judges, but it is clear......

Training, licensing would be unConstitutional.......since it infringes on the Right.

The woman tried to call 911, but Jackson allegedly grabbed her phone away and hit her in the face with it. Then, he forced her into an alley.

By the description of what happened, if she had a gun, just like if she had a phone, the guy would have taken it from her, and used it against her.

No....I first pointed out that equating her trying to use a cell phone vs. her using a gun were two entirely different things.....
He was able to overpower her, and when she reached for her phone, he was able to take her phone. I can see the same had she reached for her gun.

Except the criminal would have likely used the gun against her.

The woman tried to call 911, but Jackson allegedly grabbed her phone away and hit her in the face with it. Then, he forced her into an alley.

By the description of what happened, if she had a gun, just like if she had a phone, the guy would have taken it from her, and used it against her.

No....I first pointed out that equating her trying to use a cell phone vs. her using a gun were two entirely different things.....
He was able to overpower her, and when she reached for her phone, he was able to take her phone. I can see the same had she reached for her gun.

And yet....no.......a phone is not the same as a gun.......I have shown you the research, you have beliefs that don't go along with the reality.

He was able to overpower an unarmed woman whose only tool was a cell phone.....a gun changes the equation dramatically. I gave you an example of 2 men, with a baseball bat, and a woman with a gun.....they left her alone.....this isn't the only example like that.....this is why guns for self defense are so important.....

You didn't answer the question.......

Also...would you deny her the chance to have a gun for self defense?

It takes less time to pull a trigger than it does to call 911. And you don't have to look at the gun.

And even then, the police are minutes away.

And I note...you did not answer the question.....is it better that she was raped in that alley....or would it be better if she used a gun to stop the rapist?
As I pointed out from your example. The criminal easily took her phone.

And prisoners in prison asked by researchers about burglary, state they avoid people because they don't want to be shot....
Burglars also like it when people aren't home, so they can steal their guns too.

More examples..

'I had to take care of things': Gun-wielding Texas mother scares off intruder
The family does not want to be identified, but wanted to share the story in hope that awareness can help in similar situations.

The mother was at home with the family's 3-month-old daughter Thursday night. Her husband was out of town working, but was coming home Friday to celebrate the first Christmas with their daughter.

After tossing and turning in bed for a while, the mother was not able to fall asleep and went to the living room around 11:30 p.m.

About an hour later, she heard the home alarm beep and her back door open.

Her instinct kicked in.

"I froze for a second and then I realized I needed to spring into action, I mean, I had my baby in the house. I was alone. My husband was away on business, so I had to take care of things," she said.

She grabbed a gun and went towards the back door, where she found a man standing in her kitchen.

She yelled at the man while pointing the gun at him, and her dog ran towards him, scaring him out of the back door.

She locked the door and called 911.
------

Attacker with knife flees after woman reveals her concealed carry gun, police say

A woman in Illinois was reportedly able to protect herself with her concealed carry firearm after a stranger with a knife jumped into her car.

Police said a woman who was parked near a shopping mall in Moline on Sunday was attacked by a man who fought his way into her car, according to WQAD 8.

During the fight, the man reportedly slashed the woman’s arm with a knife. He then ordered the woman to drive to Rock Island County, a rural area, according to police.

Once the woman stopped the car, she was able to reach her gun, which she had a concealed carry firearm permit for, WQAD 8 reported.

After the attacker saw the weapon, he reportedly ran off and she was able to drive herself to the hospital.

Police subsequently opened an investigation and arrested Floyd R. May, 61.

May was charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated battery with a weapon, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and aggravated assault.

======
Fatal Lawndale shooting ruled self-defense, woman not charged

A woman who shot a man after he stabbed her multiple times Thursday afternoon in Lawndale acted in self-defense and will not be charged, police said.

About 4:05 p.m. Oct. 5, the 25-year-old man was shot in the chest when he stabbed the 25-year-old woman multiple times in the 4000 block of West 21st Street, Chicago Police said.

The woman was taken in serious condition to Mount Sinai Hospital, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene at 4:48 p.m., authorities said.

The Cook County medical examiner’s office identified him as Pleasure Cardell Singleton Jr.

The stabbing was believed to be a domestic incident, police said, but the nature of the relationship between the two wasn’t released.
======

17-Year-Old Spokane Girl Grabs Dad's Gun, Scares Off Home Intruder

On Monday morning, a 17-year-old Spokane girl gave a suspected car thief a rude reception when he invaded her house; brandishing her father’s gun in his face before he fled like a scared rabbit.

The entire sequence of events started at roughly 5:00 a.m. when deputies spotted a stolen car in the Wandermere area. Once they started pursuing the suspect, he fled on foot.

The police provided updates on the The Wake Up Show on KHQ. Meanwhile, 17-year-old Kimber Wood's boyfriend and parents saw the updates, before they left for work. Her boyfriend met some deputies on his way, then called Kimber to inform him of what was happening.

Kimber called her father to ask if she could grab one of his guns. He assented, whereupon she placed it under her pillow and went back to sleep.

She awakened and heard an intruder, prompting her to grab the gun. Hiding behind her makeup vanity, she suddenly came face to face with the car thief.

Brandishing her gun, she pointed it at the suspect and said, "Who are you?" and "Get the (expletive) out of my house!"

The thief beat a hasty retreat after stealing her boyfriend’s ATV; but Kimber wanted to make sure he got the message, firing one shot into the ground as he fled.
===================

Woman Kills One of Three Home Invasion Suspects in Gun Battle

On Friday, a woman in Gwinnett County, Georgia, opened fire on three home invasion suspects who woke her from sleep by kicking in her door around 4 a.m.
One of the three home invasion suspects was killed during the exchange of fire. The other two fled the scene.

According to WSBTV, the woman and a man were in bed when they heard the sound of people kicking their way into the home. The woman grabbed her gun and confronted the invasion suspects, exchanging gunfire with at least one of them. Police said 28-year-old Antonia Leeks was shot and killed in the gun battle.

The woman owns a restaurant, and police believe this drew attention to her and ultimately led to the home invasion/attempted robbery. Gwinnett County police Cpl. Deon Washington said, “This is a very harrowing experience for anyone to endure. She’s shaken. It’s a very difficult experience for anyone to deal with.”

Mom-to-be shoots intruder with her pink pistol

A man is recovering from a gunshot wound after he broke into a Birmingham home early Friday morning and came face-to-face with a pregnant woman who was ready to protect herself and her baby.

Marquita Turner said she heard the suspect remove the air conditioning unit from a side window around 2:20 a.m. Once the unit was out, the suspect climbed right inside, but he likely wasn’t expecting to meet Turner with her pink Taurus Millennium 9mm.

“I grabbed my gun when I woke up. And I walked out of the door and I saw them, the guy in the hallway … he was kind of close to me so I shot and he fell,” Turner told reporters with alocal NBC affiliate.

Turner said she fired two or three rounds and struck the intruder once, then turned on the lights and called the police. Once they arrived, the suspect was taken to the hospital for treatment. He was expected to survive.

Turner, who is currently five months pregnant, said she purchased her gun two years ago for protection, but she’s never been to the range or otherwise had any type of training or target practice. Still, she’s glad she had the means to protect herself when she needed to. She said she doesn’t know what could have happened had she not be able to protect herself and her unborn baby.

===============

And I note...you did not answer the question.....is it better that she was raped in that alley....or would it be better if she used a gun to stop the rapist?
As I pointed out from your example. The criminal easily took her phone.

Again....a phone is not a gun......

This deserves special attention...to address your point...

With a Gun to her Head, This Woman Knew How to Level the Playing Field (and her assailant)

Police in Glendale, AZ said it was in the early morning hours on Monday when 23-year-old Carol Miracle stopped in at a Circle K convenience store at 59th Avenue and Camelback Road and encountered a violent armed robber.

When police responded to a call of shots fired at approximately 1 a.m., witnesses at the scene said they saw 27-year-old Frank Taylor holding a gun to Carol’s head in an apparent armed robbery.
But even with a gun to her head, the young woman knew how to level the playing field with her assailant, and was well equipped to do so.

As Taylor held the barrel to her skull, Carol reached for her own gun holstered at her hip. She drew her weapon and took aim, firing one shot to end the attack.

Taylor was transported to a nearby hospital where he died from his injuries.

Police said Carol also called 9-1-1 to report the shooting from her home, which is in walking distance from the convenience store, and told police she was in fear for her life.

No.....the 2nd Amendment is quite clear.....it is ignored by left wing, anti-gun judges, but it is clear......

Training, licensing would be unConstitutional.......since it infringes on the Right.
Actually the 2nd is a right the federal government can't infringe upon. But states can.

It takes less time to pull a trigger than it does to call 911. And you don't have to look at the gun.

And even then, the police are minutes away.

Yeah....Postman is never going to admit that fact....guns are not phones, and criminals run away from guns......

Americans use their legal guns, on average 1.1 million times a year to stop rapes, robberies and murder.....according to the Centers for Disease Control...and that was back in the 1990s...we have a lot more people carrying and owning guns now...

of those ...only about 235 criminals a year are stupid enough to continue attacking armed citizens......they end up dead.

Actually the 2nd is a right the federal government can't infringe upon. But states can.

No, they can't...according to the Supreme Court ruling in MacDonald....and, of course...Heller....

Question
Does the Second Amendment apply to the states because it is incorporated by the Fourteenth Amendment's Privileges and Immunities or Due Process clauses and thereby made applicable to the states?

Conclusion

The Supreme Court reversed the Seventh Circuit, holding that the Fourteenth Amendment makes the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense applicable to the states.

With Justice Samuel A. Alito writing for the majority, the Court reasoned that rights that are "fundamental to the Nation's scheme of ordered liberty" or that are "deeply rooted in this Nation's history and tradition" are appropriately applied to the states through the Fourteenth Amendment. The Court recognized in Heller that the right to self-defense was one such "fundamental" and "deeply rooted" right.

The Court reasoned that because of its holding in Heller, the Second Amendment applied to the states.

I'm having a problem with the fact that this jack off was released on an ankle monitor. I can't seem to move beyond that shit.
First he did not have an ankle monitor. He was supposed to, but the state dropped the ball.

Yep......he shouldn't have been on an ankle monitor for the crimes he was arrested for..........

This is what he was supposed to be on the ankle monitor for...

Jackson is charged with felony attempted aggravated criminal sexual assault, felony aggravated criminal sexual abuse, felony robbery, and felony aggravated battery in a public place. He is due in bond court this afternoon.

Shoot him.

You didn't answer the question.......

Also...would you deny her the chance to have a gun for self defense?
Anyone trained and licensed to carry should be allowed to carry. But untrained individuals, who carry can actually be more of a danger to themselves. And why do you think even trained prison guards aren't allowed to carry guns?

No, they can't...according to the Supreme Court ruling in MacDonald....and, of course...Heller....

DC is federal, it's not a state. Thus DC is control by the federal government not being able to infringe. Hawaii is a state.

Forum List

Back