Gun Show Loophole

Do you have any good ideas on how to reduce the number of school shootings in the U.S.? Based on the recent mass shootings in NY and Texas, should the minimum age for firearm purchase be 21?
That may only help a little, but better save SOME innocent lives than not.
I only stated the facts, glean from that as you will.

Perps will always have their weapons, the people you would never have to
worry about....not so much.

And my point is, no. 5 year olds and female teachers are not the first line of self-defense. You live in a freakshowland.

Ban assault weapons.
Are you a misogynist?

Women can carry guns and protect themselves and others.

My wife is a better shot with a pistol than I am. And she carries he gun more than I do.

Can't count the number of times she has had my back when I take a couple thousands dollars to a strange place to buy something we found on Craigslist from a stranger.

Whew!!
Good morning, Viet N-A-M!!!

This thread is a veritable Country Buffet of ideas and thoughts to comment on.
Let's start:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh boy, now there is a warning to heed. I suppose.
Regardless, I am still saddened that we have posters who are so fearful that they call strangers names and then dare 'em to come take their guns. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!
Has the American education system failed so miserably that adult discourse cannot proceed without epithets and threats?
Sad.
Bigly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, importantly, the regulation would be of those people who are armed --and their arms --- and who CAN or do serve in a militia capacity.
The clear implication is that the people would be the militia. The Bill of Rights says nothing about stratifying the people by age.
Anyone could ---and did ---serve in the militia. Hence, they and their armament need be regulated. If you have an arm you qualify for the militia.
You qualify for this so called 'well regulated'.

Ah, that is an 'originalist' argument that can be a slippery slope for the gun lobby: "Standard" of the day.
OK, sure. Let's go there.
Like the Brown Bess. The muzzle-loader. The flintolock.
And NOT the Glock21 of today, or the SigSauer 556xi ....and their like.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The anger evidenced by some folks on social media hints that perhaps they just may not be suitable for owning any of today's super high lethality firearms.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it is applicable in that he illegally acquired that weapon. And should have been held accountable for the crime.
Not to mention, the straw purchaser of the weapon. He should have been punished to the full extent of the statute.
When trading, exchanging, trafficking in guns is done outside the law......when caught, the perpetrators need be punished to the fullest extent. How else to convey society's seriousness-of-purpose over the perceived threat that firearms pose?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, you bet Concerned. Lots of things have been used to kill people....rocks, knives, rakes, dog leashes, pressure cookers.
But you see, they are all different than a portable, high-capacity, easily concealed, rapid-fire, high lethality tool like a modern pistol or rifle.
And therein lies the concern. Steven Paddock didn't go up to the 33rd floor of the Mandalay hotel with an assortment of pressure-cookers.
If only he would have.
Maybe 59 would not have been killed, and 527 injured?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make private sales regulated too. Even between family members. Trafficking in today's weapons is NOT the same as trading baseball cards. Firearms are a unique tool. And as such should be defined in an altogether different category than say, and automobile, motorcycle, travel-trailer. Guns should come encumbered with them a set of laws and societal expectations that clearly and unambiguously signal to the possessors or would-be possessors that they have an increased responsibility to society.
Major responsibility.
Analogous, perhaps, to the responsibility of owning, say, a case of dynamite. Anything that goes wrong with that dynamite....if it injures or damages anybody or anything....the owner of the case is responsible. It is a "strict liability" tool.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please see above, about the concerns that some people may simply not be suited for possessing today's portable, high-lethality, easily concealed, rapid-fire, high-capacity firearms.
As evidenced by their demeanor exhibited on social media.
Just sayin'.
The Bill of Rights says nothing about stratifying the people by age.
Anyone could ---and did ---serve in the militia.
Wrong.

Militias were decided by the states, and they had rules about who could serve. Might want to check that out before getting your ankle stuck in your throat.

and I don't remember any reports of women serving in the various militias.

If you have an arm you qualify for the militia.
You qualify for this so called 'well regulated'.

Wrong again.

I am well over the age of being a member of any militia.

OK, sure. Let's go there.
Because they weren't invented at the time?

Should we also get rid of typewriters and the internet?

Television and radio?

Last edited:
epidemic?

327+ million citizens in the country

400+ million firearms in the country

393+ million in the hands of civilians

45,222 deaths by firearms in 2020.
(includes deaths by suicide, murder, and accident)

(More people have supposedly died of Covid)

that's an epidemic?

When compared with other developed nations, yes it is an epidemic.

It is impossible to legally avoid the background check requirements as prescribed by federal laew.
Thus, there is no loophole.
Federal law only mandates checks when you purchase from someone with a FFL. The federal government doesn't regulate buying firearms from criminals or private citizens. The federal government regulates interstate firearm transfers, not intrastate. There all regulations are local.

Federal law only mandates checks when you purchase from someone with a FFL. The federal government doesn't regulate buying firearms from criminals or private citizens. The federal government regulates interstate firearm transfers, not intrastate. There all regulations are local.
Correct. And thus, there's no loophole.

Are you a misogynist?

Women can carry guns and protect themselves and others.

My wife is a better shot with a pistol than I am. And she carries he gun more than I do.

Can't count the number of times she has had my back when I take a couple thousands dollars to a strange place to buy something we found on Craigslist from a stranger.
In California legal sales of products can be sold to a stranger on the grounds of almost all police stations.

Correct. And thus, there's no loophole.
Yes there is. you have states that don't requires any federal intervention in transfers between residents (temporary, permanent or transitory) of that state.
Which means no paperwork, no background checks, and no waiting periods. You don't even have to show ID.

In California legal sales of products can be sold to a stranger on the grounds of almost all police stations.
I think you can do that here too.

A lot of times with small items we meet at Walmart.

But folks are not going to haul an 8N tractor or a non licensed vehicle or a brush hog or a 48 foot trailer 25 miles to town for me to kick the tires and hassle over. I've walked away from more deals than I've made on vehicles.

Sometimes you have to go to them...and if you want to make a deal... you need cash... especially on vehicles right now.

Last edited:
Yes there is. you have states that don't requires any federal intervention in transfers between residents (temporary, permanent or transitory) of that state.
Which means no paperwork, no background checks, and no waiting periods. You don't even have to show ID.
But weirdly... these mass shooters go through the paperwork, background checks, waiting period and show ID... the Buffalo kid even bought a New York Compliant firearm.

Did it help?

YEP. And anyone who votes for a Republican is malevolent along with the evil done by the shooter. Why, because the Republican Pol knows that to support gun control will cost them their job. Not their wife / husband, not their child but their job.

A state not correctly report its information ot the FBI is not a loophole -- the person -still- cannot legally avoid the background check.
Ohh... you mean a person from CA going to AZ to buy a gun.
Interstate transfers require an FFL and a background check; to otherwise transfer a gun across state lines is a federal felony.

But weirdly... these mass shooters go through the paperwork, background checks, waiting period and show ID... the Buffalo kid even bought a New York Compliant firearm.

Did it help?
Nope, not in this evil; but what and how can the parents, neighbors, teachers and other kids not be aware of the evil in this person, and report to others something to be investigated?

The PROBLEM is this: SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!

How many more innocent children will die by these four words? How can 50 US Senators decide to table any effort to protect the innocents, simply to keep their job that they don't do? We the people, and every parent, needs to fire them, begin by McConnell as he is as dangerous to every child in every school in America.

Nope, not in this evil; but what and how can the parents, neighbors, teachers and other kids not be aware of the evil in this person, and report to others something to be investigated?

The PROBLEM is this: SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!
The pat your don't understand?
All of the unnecessary and ineffective laws you want - by definitiion , infringements -- will do nothing to preebnt shootings like this one.
You just want o make it hard as possible for the law abiding to exercise their right to keep and bear arms.
How many more innocent children will die by these four words?
Grab another handful of innocent blood and rub it on your ass- you missed a spot.

Forum List

Back