Gun rights are necessary - gun obsession is not

I rarely sell my firearms. The reason is I want to be damn sure I don’t sell a weapon to someone who shouldn’t own one.

I have several requirements for a buyer.

1) He must have a valid Florida Concealed Weapons permit. That way I know he has had a background check.

2) I have to actually know the person.

3) I prefer to sell my firearms to people that I have shot with on a target range. That way I know they handle firearms safely.

The last firearms I sold were sixteen years ago. I was retiring and moving. I sold several handguns to a co-worker I used to shoot with at a pistol range. Of course he had a Florida Concealed Weapons permit.
See folks. When you sell your own firearms, you can be even more selective and restrictive. Why would we want to stop that? That is perfectly within Batcat's right.

See folks. When you sell your own firearms, you can be even more selective and restrictive. Why would we want to stop that? That is perfectly within Batcat's right.
I should also add that I have often traded in a used firearm for a new one at a gun store. That way I know the buyer of my used firearm will still have to pass a background check.

I generally keep accurate firearms I like. I once traded an extremely accurate Dan Wesson .357 revolver for a compound bow at a sports store. I suck at bow shooting and I still miss that Dan Wesson.

LOL.....In my early teens I bought a Ruger Standard 4 5/8" off one of my dad's hunting buddies and other than wiping it down when it got wet I don't ever remember cleaning it till I gave it to my nephew about 30 years later. It did not look the best but he still shoots it.

I toted it around hither and yon in a surplus GI M1911 holster I got at the military surplus store that was in town at the time. If you removed the wood insert inside the holster a extra Ruger mag fits in the space perfectly. ;)
I used to disassemble and clean my Ruger Target pistols about once a year. I would warm up by shooting 50 rounds through the weapon every time I went to the range before shooting my other handguns. I estimate I used to go shooting 50 times a year minimum so that means I would put at least 2500 rounds through the Ruger before a thorough cleaning. After every range session I would run a patch down the barrel and swab the firing chamber and the feeding ramp.

Thanks for the advice, actually ---- I need to keep the monetary worth in mind should I at some point have to deal with the gun collection issue.
Back in the 1970 time frame I had a chance to buy two sequentially numbered .44 Auto Mag pistols. The two would have cost me around $500. If I would have put both in a safety deposit box and never fired them they would be worth a small fortune today.

I looked up the price of a used .44 Auto Mag pistol in very good condition and it sold for $3,750.

Unfortunately I was married and my wife at the time would have likely divorced me if I would have bought those two pistols.

As I look back on it today, I should have bought the pistols. I would have saved myself a lot of grief.

1657214754611.jpeg

Regulations minimize infractions they do not eliminate them. Try taking all speed limits off highways and see what happens.
What will happen is that ninety percent of people will drive at the safe maximum speed, seven to nine will drive below that and one to there will exceed it. That was the experience on the autobahn in Germany that until recently had no speed limits.

Back in the 1970 time frame I had a chance to buy two sequentially numbered .44 Auto Mag pistols. The two would have cost me around $500. If I would have put both in a safety deposit box and never fired them they would be worth a small fortune today.

I looked up the price of a used .44 Auto Mag pistol in very good condition and it sold for $3,750.

Unfortunately I was married and my wife at the time would have likely divorced me if I would have bought those two pistols.

As I look back on it today, I should have bought the pistols. I would have saved myself a lot of grief.

View attachment 667389
It is or was unfortunate you are or were married, FOR YOUR WIFE.

I used to disassemble and clean my Ruger Target pistols about once a year. I would warm up by shooting 50 rounds through the weapon every time I went to the range before shooting my other handguns. I estimate I used to go shooting 50 times a year minimum so that means I would put at least 2500 rounds through the Ruger before a thorough cleaning. After every range session I would run a patch down the barrel and swab the firing chamber and the feeding ramp.
Men whose dicks don't work, shoot and clean guns to make up for it.

Real world has shown us was is too little. 90% of the US want universal background checks. Why not. It will stop all but it will stop some, maybe most. Something has to be done. Thoughts and prayers are not working.
We essentially have universal background checks. The only times there aren’t background checks are in person to person sales, bequeaths from a dead relative or illegal sales. The first two are a tiny percentage of firearms transfers and the people involved in the third are already breaking a bunch of laws so they aren’t going to comply.

What will happen is that ninety percent of people will drive at the safe maximum speed, seven to nine will drive below that and one to there will exceed it. That was the experience on the autobahn in Germany that until recently had no speed limits.

And the biggest danger on most highways isn't the speeders, it's the speeder/weavers that cause accidents.

Try to absorb this comment without the influence of feelings.
Politicians(government) will never be able to protect you and yours. The only one that can do that is you.
I agree with that. With all the crazies out there, I do not need a gun to protect myself and family. I understand people who feel they need a gun or two to protect themselves.
What I do not get are the crazies that want dozens of guns, semi-automatic weapons, large capacity magazines and are threatened by background checks,
They are paranoid cowards. They can buy all of the guns they can and they will still be paranoid cowards. They create their own reality.

Time for guns to go
I'm 70+ years old and no longer have the speed, agility, and strength I had 30-40 years ago to engage in 'kung fu' with any criminal/thug whom attempts to harm me, those with me, or engage in any other crime against me/us.

In my lifetime I have seen too many a "street fight" where once the victim(s) are down and on the ground, the kicking and stomping, often of the head, begins. If lucky, the victim(s) will live, but often with injuries, some lifelong, if not out right killed by feet and fists, etc.

I consider any confrontation that threatens or could lead to physical assault and harm to be a potential "Life and/or Death" encounter.

Hence I have a Concealed Pistol License (what my State issues) and will be packing a pistol (and likely a spare mag or two) in public. I also usually carry pepper-spray(mace) as a first choice if the situation allows.

What I and many like myself would rather see is for you and all other "anti-gun" sorts whom wish to disarm we whom want to protect ourselves with "great equalizers", to start wearing large yellow ribbon armbands on one or both sleeves so that;

1) We law-abiding, legal firearm carriers will know not to use our firearms to protect you and your sorts from any criminal types whom might be attacking, or engaged in crimes against you. (After all, we risk legal and civil court hazard anytime we do such.)

2) Wearing the yellow ribbon will indicate to criminal sorts you are willing to be victim of their crimes and assaults, and don't wish for citizens to intervene on your behalf. This will help the criminals and thugs in their legal defense and spare the rest of us as from complications of coming to your defense.

Who gets to determine "obsession"? Does a target handgun and a hunting rifle rise to the level of obsession? How about a collection of firearms that are worth more than most pitiful roach infested liberal city apartments? Does membership in the NRA indicate obsession when half a dozen U.S. Presidents were members? What happens when the 1st Amendment becomes an obsession? Do we start investigating conservative Preachers who might not be on board with the current administration?
Many people are “obsessed” with hobbies. I’ve known men who had hundreds of thousands of dollars that they spent on model railroading. Ditto stamp collecting. Until Kindle Prime came along, I averaged three to four hundred dollars a month in book sales. When I raced sailboats, I spent Saturdays and Wednesday evenings racing, a couple of Sunday afternoons a month helping maintain and improve the boat. I had at least a grand in my sailing bag between binoculars, portable VHF radio, self-inflating life vest, spare GPS, spare gloves, clothes and sunglasses and a few other things. That was an obsession since I would have raced more if there were more races available. When I had my own boat, I spent nearly two grand a month on it between slip fees, maintenence and improvements. I had a co-worker that was into cowboy shooting, he had two horses, a horse trailer, a RV and several guns just for his hobby, is that an obsession?

Men whose dicks don't work, shoot and clean guns to make up for it.
So same applies to women whom also don't have dicks but also "shoot and clean guns"?
They are making up for not having dicks?

Please wear your yellow armband in public so we "dickless gun owners" will know not to use our firearms to protect your worthless arse!

Gun rights are needed for personal security, hunting, target sport and as a potential check on an over-reaching government but in today's world you will need more than guns.

But we have people in our society obsessed with guns. Their are fringe groups who define their manhood, personal safety, self-worth and protection from government over-reach strictly on guns. They seem to need guns more than air and water. They include street gangs, They include disenfranchised loners. They include left wing radicals wanting to over throw the government. They include right wing anti-government groups.

We need laws to protect us from those who are obsessed with guns and what they do with them
Our current laws protect the rights of the obsessed to have guns and do what they do with them.
And as we've seen in recent times with the riots, looting, and insurrections from the Left (AntiFa, some BLMers, etc. ~ CHAZ/CHOP/Etc.), we might also need firearms to protect from the lawless mobs.

Real world has shown us was is too little. 90% of the US want universal background checks. Why not. It will stop all but it will stop some, maybe most. Something has to be done. Thoughts and prayers are not working.
We already have such;

National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)

Problem is you "anti-gun nuts" tend to be ignorant of firearms and other related matters. Don't have half a clue what you are talking about.

How many guns would one have to own to be considered obsessed with them? Who gets to determine that number and what would qualify them to make that determination?
How many fishing rods, reels, and tackle must one own to be considered obsessed with such?
How many golf clubs?
How many baseball bats and gloves?
How mnay sewing machines and fabric and patterns?
ETC ....

Forum List

Back