Gun Clueless Liberals Are Getting Kids Killed- Supporting Gun Free Zones

Your talking points are off. For the last month the Approved Talking Point is that teachers can only Teach The Subject. Teachers back in the day were apparently robots bc they never, not once gave away a single nod to their personal life. They only ever taught the subject. So we can trust them only to do this.

(Enter Uvalda)

OH WAIT!! And carry guns and ammo.

Right
Right! SOME teachers that is. AND some janitors. AND some maintenance personnel. AND some administrators. AND some specialty coaches.

Do you want to save kids lives, or don't you ? Mybe you're afraid a gun will be forced on you ? Nobody's calling for that.

As you correctly concluded, the break-ins and shootings are less in places that have good security. So there IS a single measure that could stop almost all mass shootings - the elimination of gun free zones.

According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, “gun free zones” (areas where guns are prohibited) have been the target of more than 98% of all mass shootings. This staggering number is why such designated areas are often referred to as “soft targets,” meaning unprotected and vulnerable.

“According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, only a little more than 1% of mass public shootings since 1950 have occurred in places that were not considered to be a gun-free zone,” reports The Blaze. “In fact, as Crime Prevention Research Center President John Lott Jr. noted in October 2015, only two mass shootings in the U.S. since 1950 have occurred in an area where citizens were not prohibited from carrying a gun.”

Former Vice President Joe Biden, a Democrat, introduced the Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) to the U.S. Senate in 1990, and it was signed into law by then-President George H.W. Bush, a Republican. The act was clearly proposed with the intent to prevent mass shootings at such precious areas as schools. But the act, as the statistic proves, did not result in the desired outcome.

OTOH:

A 2016 study by researchers from University of Massachusetts Boston, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and Stanford University found that the vast majority of high-casualty mass shootings occur in places where guns are allowed or not explicitly banned. Between 1966 and June 2016, only 12% of US mass shootings involving six or more victims occurred in a gun-free zone, and only five percent occurred where civilian gun possession was prohibited.

Another study of US mass shootings involving four or more fatalities between 2009 and 2015 found that only 13% occurred in a gun-free place.

My take on all this is that elimination all gun-free zones might not be the total solution to stopping all mass shootings. Sure as hell wouldn't hurt though, the basic idea was to make it unlawful for anybody to bring a gun into certain places, but the problem is that the bad people don't give a damn about what is lawful and it's kinda like allowing the fox into the hen house where the fox is the only guy with a gun.

First, I highly doubt the GFSZA law will be repealed, but I do think that would be a good idea. Which means of course that our pols won't do it. Then the question becomes what will the terrorists and the crazies do then? I doubt the number of mass shootings and deaths will decrease, the venue might change but a crazy is still a crazy and they'll still want to shoot a bunch of people.

Your talking points are off. For the last month the Approved Talking Point is that teachers can only Teach The Subject. Teachers back in the day were apparently robots bc they never, not once gave away a single nod to their personal life. They only ever taught the subject. So we can trust them only to do this.

(Enter Uvalda)

OH WAIT!! And carry guns and ammo.

Right

I went to school in the 70s and 80s and knew all about most of my teachers families.

According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, “gun free zones” (areas where guns are prohibited) have been the target of more than 98% of all mass shootings. This staggering number is why such designated areas are often referred to as “soft targets,” meaning unprotected and vulnerable.

Summary:

• Researcher John Lott claimed that 98% or more of mass shootings from 1950 to the present occurred in gun-free zones.
  • Lott’s false claim is based on a basic error. For the period 1977–1997, Lott counts each individual mass shooting death as an entire mass shooting incident.
  • Even after Lott corrected his mistake, he made a new claim that 94% of mass shootings occurred in gun-free places, which is also based on flawed data and contradicts other research that concludes that 12% to 13% of mass shootings occur where guns are prohibited.

Right! SOME teachers that is. AND some janitors. AND some maintenance personnel. AND some administrators. AND some specialty coaches.

Do you want to save kids lives, or don't you ? Mybe you're afraid a gun will be forced on you ? Nobody's calling for that.

I agree with all of this.

I'm just pointing out the utter hypocrisy of everyone who refused to believe there were good, law abiding people in schools.....until Uvalde

“According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, only a little more than 1% of mass public shootings since 1950 have occurred in places that were not considered to be a gun-free zone,” reports The Blaze. “In fact, as Crime Prevention Research Center President John Lott Jr. noted in October 2015, only two mass shootings in the U.S. since 1950 have occurred in an area where citizens were not prohibited from carrying a gun.”

Former Vice President Joe Biden, a Democrat, introduced the Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) to the U.S. Senate in 1990, and it was signed into law by then-President George H.W. Bush, a Republican. The act was clearly proposed with the intent to prevent mass shootings at such precious areas as schools. But the act, as the statistic proves, did not result in the desired outcome.

OTOH:

A 2016 study by researchers from University of Massachusetts Boston, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and Stanford University found that the vast majority of high-casualty mass shootings occur in places where guns are allowed or not explicitly banned. Between 1966 and June 2016, only 12% of US mass shootings involving six or more victims occurred in a gun-free zone, and only five percent occurred where civilian gun possession was prohibited.

Another study of US mass shootings involving four or more fatalities between 2009 and 2015 found that only 13% occurred in a gun-free place.

My take on all this is that elimination all gun-free zones might not be the total solution to stopping all mass shootings. Sure as hell wouldn't hurt though, the basic idea was to make it unlawful for anybody to bring a gun into certain places, but the problem is that the bad people don't give a damn about what is lawful and it's kinda like allowing the fox into the hen house where the fox is the only guy with a gun.

First, I highly doubt the GFSZA law will be repealed, but I do think that would be a good idea. Which means of course that our pols won't do it. Then the question becomes what will the terrorists and the crazies do then? I doubt the number of mass shootings and deaths will decrease, the venue might change but a crazy is still a crazy and they'll still want to shoot a bunch of people.
Looks like you went through a lot of work just to repeat the OP, but good information nevertheless.

I agree with all of this.

I'm just pointing out the utter hypocrisy of everyone who refused to believe there were good, law abiding people in schools.....until Uvalde
I've never heard of anyone thinking that.

Summary:

• Researcher John Lott claimed that 98% or more of mass shootings from 1950 to the present occurred in gun-free zones.
  • Lott’s false claim is based on a basic error. For the period 1977–1997, Lott counts each individual mass shooting death as an entire mass shooting incident.
  • Even after Lott corrected his mistake, he made a new claim that 94% of mass shootings occurred in gun-free places, which is also based on flawed data and contradicts other research that concludes that 12% to 13% of mass shootings occur where guns are prohibited.
This is utter NONSENSE, without a shred of substance. Doubletalk jibberish. "individual?" "entire" ? Nothing here. Makes no sense. The OP and the posts in Post # 42 stand undaunted.

GVPedia is an anti-gun lobby that doesnt talk common sense. For instance, they say (in this link) > "“Successful civilian uses of guns to stop a mass shooting were incredibly rare" Actually, they have no way of knowing this, since the overwhelming majority of civilian uses of guns were just by BEING THERE, and thereby discouraging the shooters from ever showing up (An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure)

Oh yeah, mass shooters are all going to go running to places where there is armed security, right ?...:right:.and bypass all the gun free zone soft targets, that offer no resistance.:puhleeze: Not hard to distinguish between the truth and the bullshit there.

One thing about liberals...they don't lie very well. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I went to school in the 70s and 80s and knew all about most of my teachers families.

Of course you did. And so did I. My own 4th grade teacher, who I adored, invited us all to a pool party at her HOUSE after school let out (what a saint!).

But again those are not the approved talking points see.

My fellow conservatives do have a point about teachers oversharing (And I know the philosophy from where that comes in schools but whatever) but the crap they say about "When I was in school" is laughable

I've never heard of anyone thinking that.

I have made that point many times in the Education forum over many years......hey you know the schools in small town Nebraska maybe aren't like the schools in Berkeley CA

It all falls on deaf ears. There's a narrative to uphold

Looks like you went through a lot of work just to repeat the OP, but good information nevertheless.

Oh, him? Pfft, what does he know?

I think a big part of the problem is GFZs but I also think the politicians are more interested in political gain than our safety and security, even for our kids. Schools in particular can be hardened up to pretty much prevent mass shootings if the security measure are rigidly followed. There's no perfect solution, you do what you can by looking at the problem of mass shootings from several angles.

This is utter NONSENSE, without a shred of substance. Doubletalk jibberish. "individual?" "entire" ?

Statistics take a certain IQ to understand, do not feel bad, I am sure you have many other good qualities

I think a big part of the problem is GFZs

Adding in the post season there are about 5000 MLB games a year, all of which take place in a GFZ. Yet there, as far as I know, has not been one mass shooting at any of them.

Adding in the post season there are about 2500 NBA games a year, all of which take place in a GFZ. Yet there, as far as I know, has not been one mass shooting at any of them.

Adding in the post season there are about 1500 College Football games a year, all of which take place in a GFZ. Yet there, as far as I know, has not been one mass shooting at any of them.

Seems maybe GFZ are not really the problem.

Summary:

I suspect Lott's numbers were somewhat inaccurate, but I also suspect that the 12%- 13% numbers are also incorrect. Too many times the research starts with a conclusion and works backwards rather than the other way around. Both sides. It all depends on the parameters you set for your analysis and the time frame. I looked, but haven't found anything so far that tells us about the recent shootings over the past few years, how many were in GFZs? Most of them, I'd bet. And I'd go further to say that over the same years the number of deaths average significantly higher in GFZs cuz there's nobody there to stop the shooters until the cops get there. But if somebody else is armed and shooting back then probably the casualties ain't as high.

The overwhelming majority of US gun deaths that you speak of, have occured in mostly ghetto neighborhoods in Democrat cities (Chicago, New York San Francisco, etc), where gun control laws are the strictest, and good guys with guns are the fewest (if any). And where residents are unarmed and defenseless.

Also, the violent crime rate in the UK is 8 times that of the USA.
Again, a deflection. What happens in inner cities is not mass shootings (save for a few). Those tend to happen individually, at parties or get togethers, or drive-bys. We're talking about taking high capacity mag semi-auto weapons into SCHOOLS.

And I have zero idea where you get your delusions, but please..pull your head out of ALT-RIGHT MEDIA!!.
They lie to you. Yes, this is an old article, and we're not even accounting for the TYPE of violent crime.

Here's the rankings.

OTOH:

They will, and the mass shootings will continue, with more kids being killed, as long as people like Golfing Gator and his GVPedia are around to praise the gun free zone idea.

Forum List

Back