Green Power in Texas

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
Texas residents told to stay off roads as ‘historic Arctic outbreak’ leaves 2.5 million without power (yahoo.com)

" Turbines in that area have frozen amid the cold temperatures, causing the state’s wind power capacity to fall from 25,100 megawatts of energy to just 12,000, according to the Austin American-Statesman. "

Guess Mother Nature can screw up Green energy.

Yeah.....imagine when your power goes out in the middle of winter....that's Texas..imagine Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, New York...no power in the middle of January because solar is blocked by snow, and wind turbines are frozen solid......

In California, rolling black outs are funny...they deserve what they get......in Cold States, rolling blackouts in winter will kill...

Texas residents told to stay off roads as ‘historic Arctic outbreak’ leaves 2.5 million without power (yahoo.com)

" Turbines in that area have frozen amid the cold temperatures, causing the state’s wind power capacity to fall from 25,100 megawatts of energy to just 12,000, according to the Austin American-Statesman. "

I am guessing you have never lived in a area where traditional energy sources fail during winter also. Fifteen years ago our power was out for three weeks after a winter storm...I wished I would have had solar power.

I am guessing you have never lived in a area where traditional energy sources fail during winter also. Fifteen years ago our power was out for three weeks after a winter storm...I wished I would have had solar power.

To the contrary, I've lived in several places like that.

Just pointing out that Green energy is not exempt.

Nothing is even the sun gets blocked out.

Nothing is even the sun gets blocked out.

yeah, every night.

which is why I don't have solar.

I've lived in the north and the south. Thanks to Carrier, I can survive the southern heat and humidity better than I can the Pennsylvania OMFG It's Cold!!!! When you have to pull over and scrape the frost off the inside of your car windows because the heater can't keep up and your temp gauge hasn't moved from pegged cold after 20 minutes running, you know its cold.

Germany has invested in solar power and windmills and is having problems with the weather. They are now getting energy from Poland and Russia to offset their issues. You people are murderers with your craziness. Nothing wrong with moving to cleaner sources. Its the extremism that offs people for the agendas that we have a problem with.

I've lived in the north and the south. Thanks to Carrier, I can survive the southern heat and humidity better than I can the Pennsylvania OMFG It's Cold!!!! When you have to pull over and scrape the frost off the inside of your car windows because the heater can't keep up and your temp gauge hasn't moved from pegged cold after 20 minutes running, you know its cold.
We did it in the army when there were no defrosters.

Germany has invested in solar power and windmills and is having problems with the weather. They are now getting energy from Poland and Russia to offset their issues. You people are murderers with your craziness. Nothing wrong with moving to cleaner sources. Its the extremism that offs people for the agendas that we have a problem with.
I prefer to stay off the grid as much as possible because I don't want to support government funded capitalist monopolies.

I've become fond of these type of blackouts and storm adventures.... gives the hubby and I trial run preparedness for when and if, shit hits the fan, zombie apocalypse occurs. :)

We've improved our emergency kit for losing electricity in the middle of winter, several times since we moved to Maine.

Those stupid turbines also don't work when the wind ain't blowing. Just like the even more stupid solar cells don't work when the sun ain't shinning.

Just saying.

Those stupid turbines also don't work when the wind ain't blowing. Just like the even more stupid solar cells don't work when the sun ain't shinning.

Just saying.
Yep you should put all your eggs in one basket always.

Rolling blackouts anyone???

Historic winter storm freezes Texas wind turbines (lubbockonline.com)
Nearly half of Texas' installed wind power generation capacity has been offline because of frozen wind turbines in West Texas, according to Texas grid operators.

Wind farms across the state generate up to a combined 25,100 megawatts of energy. But unusually moist winter conditions in West Texas brought on by the weekend's freezing rain and historically low temperatures have iced many of those wind turbines to a halt.

As of Sunday morning, those iced turbines comprise 12,000 megawatts of Texas' installed wind generation capacity, although those West Texas turbines don't typically spin to their full generation capacity this time of year.

Texas power outages:Rolling blackouts possible amid record demand for energy

Rolling blackouts anyone???

Historic winter storm freezes Texas wind turbines (lubbockonline.com)
Nearly half of Texas' installed wind power generation capacity has been offline because of frozen wind turbines in West Texas, according to Texas grid operators.

Wind farms across the state generate up to a combined 25,100 megawatts of energy. But unusually moist winter conditions in West Texas brought on by the weekend's freezing rain and historically low temperatures have iced many of those wind turbines to a halt.

As of Sunday morning, those iced turbines comprise 12,000 megawatts of Texas' installed wind generation capacity, although those West Texas turbines don't typically spin to their full generation capacity this time of year.

Texas power outages:Rolling blackouts possible amid record demand for energy
They have zero power in spots of SW Mizzouri and no they don't use green energy.

Just saying.
You know, asshole, that it's not an either or or situation. That fossil fuel, wind, and solar can all exist at the same time.

You do know that, right?

I prefer to stay off the grid as much as possible because I don't want to support government funded capitalist monopolies.
Thats why you post on message boards that use them to communicate... Give me a break you hypocrite..

Forum List

Back