Great Salt Lake Drops To Lowest level Ever Recorded

Water levels in Lake Mead are also way down.

Maybe they should be capturing groundwater with recharge dams like they do in KSA.

The drought in the west has caused the lowest levels of water recorded in the Great Salt Lake.

I haven't been there in years so I haven't seen what it looks like now. I'm sure it would break my heart to see what has happened to it.

Something needs to be done.

Something needs to be done? What do you suggest? We are OVERPOPULATED and the west is in a warming cycle.

Bring all the wokies there at once and have them cry into the lake. Flash flood warning.
What do we tell people who live in deserts? MOVE! If there is no water, get out. What we don't do is pipe Great Lake water out to them.

Evans, who is known in the Traverse City region as an effective environmental activist, has long worried that water could become in the 21st century what oil was in the 20th. As the global climate warms and water scarcity mounts, Great Lakes water is more valuable than ever before.

That point was made clear on February 5 when the Village of Somers in Kenosha County, WI applied to the state Department of Natural Resources to divert water from Lake Michigan. The community wants 1.2 million gallons a day, and up to 2 million gallons of water daily in high stress events, in anticipation of future population growth. The application will only need state approval, according to the DNR, since the amount of water is below 5 million gallons per day. Anything more than that would need all states within the Great Lakes basin plus the Canadian provinces Ontario and Quebec to weigh in.

So to deal with their overpopulation problem they are going to steal our water.

How about stop having so many kids?

The drought in the west has caused the lowest levels of water recorded in the Great Salt Lake.

I haven't been there in years so I haven't seen what it looks like now. I'm sure it would break my heart to see what has happened to it.

yeah we need rain

Where do you think water comes from. You know that the entire southwest is either arid or semi arid? Where do you think the desert gets water?
Since diversions first gained traction in the early 1980s, when a coal company attempted to divert Great Lakes water to Wyoming, interest in the Great Lakes Basin’s water has grown from a trickle to a gush. Straddling communities — areas like the Village of Somers that sit just outside the Great Lakes basin boundary — are the most likely candidates for diversion permits.

The Great Lakes Compact — signed into law in 2008 by President George W. Bush — largely prohibits taking large quantities of water from the Great Lakes and basin’s groundwater, smaller lakes, and rivers without the approval of all eight states and the input of Ontario and Quebec, which are both in the watershed.

The “water bottle” loophole, as it’s come to be called, was at the center of the Nestle permit at the Ice Mountain facility in Mecosta County, Michigan. Between 2005 and 2015, the company withdrew 3.4 billion gallons of groundwater from the state in bottled water. Most of the product is sold within the Great Lakes states, according to Nestle, with 10 percent shipped and sold outside the basin.

Other companies, such as the Pfizer pharmaceutical manufacturing plant near Kalamazoo, draw out billions of gallons of water a year in products.

Olson, who has been working with the compact for years, sees a threat in the loophole. “So just imagine,” he said. “You could basically truck water in containers with a total of 10,000 gallons sitting in the back, stamp the word product on it, and ship it to Louisville to a bottled water plant. You can use the water for anything you want as long as a consumer buys it.”

Other exceptions include communities located partially in the Great Lakes basin or a community located within a county partially in the Great Lakes basin. Any of these diversions must be approved by all eight states and input from the two Canadian provinces, with each state able to veto a diversion application.

Diversions have been approved in New Berlin and Waukesha, WI, whose counties lie partially in the Great Lakes basin, and for the Foxconn Technology Group in Racine, WI, which diverts up to 7 million gallons a day from Lake Michigan. The Foxconn approval was met with criticism from environmental groups who argued the diversion violated the terms of the compact because it wasn’t for “public water supply purposes.”

In effect, said Evans and other diversion opponents, the impediments to diverting Great Lakes water that were established in an eight-state compact 13 years ago are steadily being breached.

“On one hand it’s terrible, because I know the climate will make the world’s clean water problem even worse. You can’t deny that,” said Evans. “But where do you draw the line and who gets to decide what happens?”

“You see [diversion proposals] crop up one at a time,” added James Clift, the deputy director of the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy. “We usually see them in Wisconsin because the line of the basin is closest to the lake itself. Some of it is growth within the community and they have limited places to get water. Other times, it’s commercial or residential growth in areas that were formally agriculture.”

In all these cases, communities are required to return all water back to the Great Lakes that isn’t used. Clift is not that concerned.

“The farther these [diversion requests] are away from the lakes, the more unrealistic it is,” says Clift. “You’d never see Great Lakes water being taken over the Rocky Mountains. Anything over the Rocky Mountains, we’re safe.”

But on this side of the Rockies, there has also been some talk for a while about the communities around the Ogallala Aquifer. Beneath the Great Plains and stretched from the southern end of South Dakota to the northwestern corner of Texas, the Ogallala Aquifer is declining rapidly. Recoverable water has dropped 9 percent overall since extensive groundwater pumping began, and the future does not look good.

“I think the major trip [for Great Lakes water] in the next in the next 50 years is the lowering of the Ogallala Aquifer and the impact that is going to have on farm commodities and food supply,” says Dave Dempsey, a Great Lakes policy expert and author of Great Lakes for Sale. “The transferring of Great Lakes water that distance is more economically viable.”

The Ogallala Aquifer produces almost one-fifth of the corn, wheat, cotton, and cattle in the United States today.

In theory, it’s possible those areas in the Great Plains could make a play for the Great Lakes at some point, according to Clift. But in order for that to happen, the communities would have to change the federal law and amend the compact before applying for a diversion.

“That pressure could build over time,” says Clift. “Which is why it’s important to start recognizing the limitations of water and where we expect water to be in the future.”

While long-distance water diversions seem like a far off scenario, it’s not all conjecture. In Oregon, a company is actively planning to train water across the country to regions where water supplies are low. Whether this means this could eventually mean the Great Lakes is unclear, but it’s evident that bulk water transport is looking to be a more serious consideration.

The future of water diversions largely depends on the severity of climate change and what that will look like across the country, said Dempsey. Desalination plants have increased in the Southwest United States and across the world, but while the prices for converting salt water to fresh water have dropped, the process is expensive and comes with its own set of issues such as brine disposal.

There is also the possibility of mass migration to the Great Lakes. People may come to the basin, a place that experts say will be the least affected by climate change, and use the water here instead of diverting it. But Dempsey says both could happen, too.

“The question for me is not if the compact will change, but how long it’s going to take,” said Dempsey. “It may take 10, 20, or 100 years. But severe drought in the Southwest will increase pressure at the federal level and they’ll have to decide the most economically viable solution.”

My father-in-law and brother-in-law live in Salt Lake City. This is no different than any other dry year. We know what you're suggesting.

When Dallas gets 42 straight days of rain in 2021, blame it on greenhouse gases. When Utah gets much less rain in the same year, blame it on greenhouse gases.

Utah is a fucking desert. Always has been, except when it was under water (Lake Bonneville) after the last ice age.

Next we're going to hear how death valley is hot.

Who could have predicted DemoKKKrats blocking all new water infrastructure projects for decades might have resulted in not enough water for everyone?

Oh My Gosh. And how long have we recorded it, like 100 years?

It breaks my heart to see your heart broken over some evaporated water. I bet that is making some good salt though!

Yes, I think we need to creat an aquafer to divert the Colorado River into the Great Salt Lake. Those people in California don't need the water anyway. :smoke:

Same thing is happening all over Dana. Sad :(

Yes it is.

I posted an article about lake Mead water levels a month or so ago.

I took a road trip to middle America in March/April this year.

I crossed many bridges over small and medium size creeks and streams.

All but one were dry.

In every state.

The river that parallels the Avenue of the Giants is nearly dry. I saw and photographed only ONE waterfall there. When that river is totally dry, the redwood trees will die.

Here in my state, the Nisqualy River which it's source is Mt. Rainer glacier, has become so small, I can literally step over it. The Nisqualy River is or was a big raging river the provided water all over the state.

Importantly it provided water to farmers.

Where are farmers going to get the water needed to grow the food we eat?

Not one living thing on this planet can live without water. Including us humans.

It's happening all over the nation but people are ignoring it.

Last edited:
ZOMG
Water levels are dropping somewhere!
This is OUTRAGEOUS because this never happened before man!
And who needs records beyond 150 years? This planet is only billions of years old.
Fucking fear mongering morons.

Who could have predicted DemoKKKrats blocking all new water infrastructure projects for decades might have resulted in not enough water for everyone?
If we weren't overpopulated the Great Lakes States would have no problem sharing some of our water with people out west. But we know that will cause a problem in the future. But more and more people out west are begging for us to send our water to them. Once it's there it will never come back. That's why we don't want to share. At least when I use the water it stays in the area and eventually goes back.

So we have so many people that it's possible we could empty our Great Lakes. That's too many people.

Yes it is.

I posted an article about lake Mead water levels a month or so ago.

I took a road trip to middle America in March/April this year.

I crossed many bridges to small and medium size creeks and streams.

All but one were dry.

In every state.

The river that parallels the Avenue of the Giants is nearly dry. I saw and photographed only ONE waterfall there. When that river is totally dry, the redwood trees will die.

Here in my state, the Nisqualy River which it's source is Mt. Rainer glacier, has become so small, I can literally step over it. The Nisqualy River is or was a big raging river the provided water all over the state.

Importantly it provided water to farmers.

Where are farmers going to get the water needed to grow the food we eat?

Not one living thing on this planet can live without water. Including us humans.

It's happening all over the nation but people are ignoring it.

The average dope will never see a water issue as long as they turn on the tap and it comes out - and is not brown and smelly.
Oregon is bad off too - And we still have the biggest wildfire in the country.

Forum List

Back