Got my COBRA bill this weekend

Sep 12, 2008
I just got around to checking my mailbox, and the COBRA bill is there. It is $664 per month. the last stimulus bill will pay 65% of that, which means I am 234 out of pocket for it.

Net unemployment is 299 per week.

I liked working for the big bank. I feel really bummed now though.

I just got around to checking my mailbox, and the COBRA bill is there. It is $664 per month. the last stimulus bill will pay 65% of that, which means I am 234 out of pocket for it.

Some politicians talk of COBRA as if it's a key part of health care reform. In fact, it's almost useless. While some displaced workers can afford it, most can't. It moslty a cover for politicians. It allows them to say they've done something.

Some politicians talk of COBRA as if it's a key part of health care reform. In fact, it's almost useless. While some displaced workers can afford it, most can't. It moslty a cover for politicians. It allows them to say they've done something.

COBRA sucks. When I got out of the service, my wife and I looked at it, and realized we couldn't afford it.

COBRA insured the wife when she got laid off, but w/out the 65% gummit cost share we couldn't have afforded it. She's picked up a full-time school aid position which pays minimum wage but she now has boffo health coverage and it doesn't cost a dime. *whew*

COBRA insured the wife when she got laid off, but w/out the 65% gummit cost share we couldn't have afforded it. She's picked up a full-time school aid position which pays minimum wage but she now has boffo health coverage and it doesn't cost a dime. *whew*

I guess that's the issue. Even w/ the government picking up 65% of the tab, a lot of people can't afford 45% of their medical bills.

Sad.

A friend of mine lost her husband to cancer on new years' eve.

This week she got a letter terminating her health insurance (which she got by way of his employer) retroactively to December 31st. Not even an opportunity to buy COBRA. Luckily, she can get coverage immediately through work (hoping there aren't any pre-existing conditions to deal with).

I'm not even sure that's legal for them not to give notice of termination.

This week she got a letter terminating her health insurance (which she got by way of his employer) retroactively to December 31st. Not even an opportunity to buy COBRA. Luckily, she can get coverage immediately through work (hoping there aren't any pre-existing conditions to deal with).

Does it matter? Even if the insurance company acted in blatantly bad faith, they have an army of highly paid lawyers to bury the common joe in court.

They win by simple mass effect.

Does it matter? Even if the insurance company acted in blatantly bad faith, they have an army of highly paid lawyers to bury the common joe in court.

well, luckily she is in a position where it's not going to be a problem for her. but that isn't true for a lot of people.

its the same as when they deny a claim for a medical procedure and make the people appeal the determination til the sick person's dead.

but plaintiffs' lawyers are the reason for all of the problems doncha know.

well, luckily she is in a position where it's not going to be a problem for her. but that isn't true for a lot of people.

its the same as when they deny a claim for a medical procedure and make the people appeal the determination til the sick person's dead.

but plaintiffs' lawyers are the reason for all of the problems doncha know.

To a lot of degrees they are. But it's also like which came first, the chicken or the egg? The doctor's mistake or a false case. Even though both sides have valid arguments it's all become too much for us to handle mostly. When I was layed off, because of overtime, I made less than half of what I was accustomed to while on unemployment. NO WAY could I have afforded COBRA. I am damned glad I found a job and that took near a year because of my family's unwillingness to move and manufacturing sailing out of here like Walmart minions leaving a trailer park for a huge sale!

Shop around.

I suggest Blue Cross/Blue Shield Catastrophic Health Insurance.

Last time I bought it it was something like $185/mo for self + family.

Last edited:

Shop around.

I suggest Blue Cross/Blue Shield Catastrophic Health Insurance.

Last time I bought it it was something like $185/mo for self + family.

Weird. I was going to post the same thing. Are we related, Samson? I don't know if that's good or bad. :eusa_angel:

Beat me to the shop around post. My private coverage is getting more and more expensive every year.

Interestingly enough, if not for "state's rights" you could shop all around the country for health insurance. Oh well. Small Federal Government and all.

I guess that's the issue. Even w/ the government picking up 65% of the tab, a lot of people can't afford 45% of their medical bills.

Sad.

A sad testament indeed to the condition of Health Care in this country.

But don't worry everybody! Everything's a okay according to Michael Steele and John Boehner! :cool:

Hey, banks are now people too...

But don't feel bad, here's the new people in the neighbor...maybe the kids can make new friends!

pollution.jpg

MOst of the laws regulating the insurance industry portects the insurance company. Consumers have some but no cards higher than a 5, the industry holds all those above 5.

:eusa_hand:

Why would she need notice?

She must have known that she was on her husband's policy. Did she think a health insurer would continue to insure her dead husband?

This seems a little unrealistically demanding, given the fact that most dead people don't have health insurance.:eusa_eh:

She must have known that she was on her husband's policy. Did she think a health insurer would continue to insure her dead husband?

This seems a little unrealistically demanding, given the fact that most dead people don't have health insurance.:eusa_eh:

what's with the :eusa_hand: ?

This is a guy who left a wife and two young children. what if one of the kids were hospitalized right now?

i have never heard of a health insurer not giving notice of termination to allow someone to get a replacement policy, unless there has been a fraud of some type. and, i also believe that upon termination, the formerly covered person is supposed to be given an opportunity to purchase COBRA?

thanks for the info that dead people don't have health insurance. :lol:
neither do people who are divorced from the covered spouse. but they get to buy COBRA.

Last edited:
Scratching my head and wondering why somebody named health insurance after a dangerous snake...

what's with the :eusa_hand: ?

This is a guy who left a wife and two young children. what if one of the kids were hospitalized right now?

i have never heard of a health insurer not giving notice of termination to allow someone to get a replacement policy, unless there has been a fraud of some type. and, i also believe that upon termination, the formerly covered person is supposed to be given an opportunity to purchase COBRA?

thanks for the info that dead people don't have health insurance. :lol:
neither do people who are divorced from the covered spouse. but they get to buy COBRA.

Yes, Delilah would agree that I'm quite the "deep pool of knowledge," particularly regardling the obvious.:tongue:

I wouldn't expect that Delilah would assume she'd be covered after my death. I'd expect that she'd even take time out from planning the Post-funerary festivities to apply for her own (and slaves) insurance well in advance of my eagerly anticipated demise.

Forum List

Back