GOPers Are Bringing Back Post-Reconstruction-Era Voting In N.C.

The North Carolina State Board of Elections found that over 300,000 voters who are already registered — and are disproportionately black and low-income — lack the type of photo ID that the new law requires. Ending Sunday voting means the end of the popular Souls to the Polls, a growing tradition in which black churchgoers go to vote together. Finally, the new law prohibits paying canvassers to conduct voter registration drives, which have often been organized to register low-income and minority voters.

And if they are lacking it, they cast a provisional ballot while the government figures out if the person is a valid voter.

I personally think if you find voting to be important enough, you go the day of the election.

Why make voting harder than it has to be?
We need to make the process of voting easier for all Americans not an ordeal. The last election had voters standing on line for hours. There is no excuse for it

You want voter ID? Provide it for free to anyone who wants one. Have vans that will come to your house to provide ID. Help people find documentation if they are missing it

When 99% of Americans have ID, then you can require it to vote. Not when you have 300,000 voters lacking it

the report said 95% have proper ID....:lol:

and if ID is required, it should be free to those who can't afford it.

And if they are lacking it, they cast a provisional ballot while the government figures out if the person is a valid voter.

I personally think if you find voting to be important enough, you go the day of the election.

We need to make the process of voting easier for all Americans not an ordeal. The last election had voters standing on line for hours. There is no excuse for it

You want voter ID? Provide it for free to anyone who wants one. Have vans that will come to your house to provide ID. Help people find documentation if they are missing it

When 99% of Americans have ID, then you can require it to vote. Not when you have 300,000 voters lacking it

Going to a polling place is not "hard."

and if you want to bus people to a polling place, do it yourself.

Wait what?

Did you see the lines in the last Presidential Election?

And why should ANYONE have to get on a bus to vote?

They should be able to walk to a polling place..and be in and out in 5 minutes.

Not 10 fucking hours.

Wait what?

Not 10 fucking hours.

So I guess there should be a polling place at every farm house.. because it takes about 20 minutes to walk in any direction to even get off some farms

And 5 minutes to get in and out?? Nice to SAY, but if a majority of those registered happen to show up at the same time and not spaced out over the day, things will take time

Hell.. why not ensure they get foot massages if they are standing more than 5 minutes? Why not limo rides to and from?..

Jeez.. you progs are ridiculous

I don't have a problem with that. What I have a problem with is the possibility of making it increasingly difficult to get "acceptable" ID
Once ID laws are in place, it is easy for local authorities to make it harder and harder for some voters to get to ID locations. Make it harder and harder to produce acceptable proof. Even Obama had to produce his birth certificate three times and still had idiots refusing to accept it
If you can do that to the President of the US, you can do it to some poor dirt farmer in North Carolina

I don't have a problem with that. What I have a problem with is the possibility of making it increasingly difficult to get "acceptable" ID
Once ID laws are in place, it is easy for local authorities to make it harder and harder for some voters to get to ID locations. Make it harder and harder to produce acceptable proof. Even Obama had to produce his birth certificate three times and still had idiots refusing to accept it
If you can do that to the President of the US, you can do it to some poor dirt farmer in North Carolina

How can they make it harder?? Strap their feet together? Put the boot on their vehicles? Stop selling bicycles? Shoot pedestrians or those taking public transportation if it looks like they are going to get an ID? Close all DMV's before elections?

You're still going off into the realm of the ridiculous

How can they make it harder?? Strap their feet together? Put the boot on their vehicles? Stop selling bicycles? Shoot pedestrians or those taking public transportation if it looks like they are going to get an ID? Close all DMV's before elections?

You left out LEOs near polling places. A huge claim of voter suppression.

Have you ever been deterred from voting because a Sheriff's deputy was standing outside?

GOPers Are Bringing Back Post-Reconstruction-Era Voting In N.C.

Starting at the end of Reconstruction following the Civil War, North Carolina and other states used official and unofficial means to stop poor and black citizens from voting. North Carolina’s 1900 constitution required that voters pay a poll tax and be judged as literate by the local voter registrar, who could choose tough questions for some voters and easy questions – or none – for others. The constitution also included a grandfather clause that exempted from the poll tax those entitled to vote as of January 1, 1867. Between 1896 and 1904, nearly all black voters, including many thousands who had voted before, were removed from the voting rolls, and nearly all black officials were driven from office.

It took 70 years for the federal government to end these practices with the 24th Amendment to and the 1965 Voting Rights Act. But since the Supreme Court struck down in 2013 a crucial tenet of the Voting Rights Act, it has become all too easy for an extremely conservative legislature like North Carolina’s to roll out its voter suppression agenda.

History Repeating.

Come on America, get it together.

Ok, and what is this "voter suppression agenda?" It seems to be missing from the op. You provided the claim but no evidence to back it. Is this typical of your style? Slander and hope no one asks?

Wait what?

Not 10 fucking hours.

So I guess there should be a polling place at every farm house.. because it takes about 20 minutes to walk in any direction to even get off some farms

And 5 minutes to get in and out?? Nice to SAY, but if a majority of those registered happen to show up at the same time and not spaced out over the day, things will take time

Hell.. why not ensure they get foot massages if they are standing more than 5 minutes? Why not limo rides to and from?..

You failed to read my post.

I said that everyone should be able to walk to a polling place and be in and out in five minutes.

Not get foot massages.

You from Estonia or something?

Wait what?

Not 10 fucking hours.

I said that everyone should be able to walk to a polling place and be in and out in five minutes.

Not get foot massages.

If you agree to tie that to my ability to get a CCW license in 5 minutes, then i would agree.

Being able to jump through the hoops that Republicans put up is a personal responsibility?

What hoops? I've never had a problem voting. Granted, I'm far more than intelligent than most people, but it doesn't strike me as a difficult task.

Pat yourself on the back, Barry Horowitz.

Anyone who doesn't realize these laws are naked attempts to suppress poor and minority voters is a fucking clown.

Being able to jump through the hoops that Republicans put up is a personal responsibility?

What hoops? I've never had a problem voting. Granted, I'm far more than intelligent than most people, but it doesn't strike me as a difficult task.

Anyone who doesn't realize these laws are naked attempts to suppress poor and minority voters is a fucking clown.

Yes.. because there are laws against minorities getting their drivers licenses or state ID cards, etc

:rolleyes:

The political right in this country is doing everything they can to make voting as difficult and inconvenient at possible. If I believed they were capable of it, I'd say they should be ashamed.

Wait what?

Not 10 fucking hours.

Not get foot massages.

And getting a foot massage, as I tried to point out to you, is about as idiotic as ASSUMING that you SHOULD be in and out in 5 minutes, considering that is on the flow of people and when it happens.. if all 10K show up in a 30 minute span, rather than spread out thru the day, you SHOULD expect to take longer

Idiot

Yes.. because there are laws against minorities getting their drivers licenses or state ID cards, etc

Never said that and you know it. You know the truth and continue to lie and obfuscate. This is why you, and people like you, are scum.

nonsense. comparing the two is apples/oranges.

Not get foot massages.

And getting a foot massage, as I tried to point out to you, is about as idiotic as ASSUMING that you SHOULD be in and out in 5 minutes, considering that is on the flow of people and when it happens.. if all 10K show up in a 30 minute span, rather than spread out thru the day, you SHOULD expect to take longer

Idiot

Wait what?

Takes me about 5 minutes to vote.

And the polling place is around the block.

You must be a Russian Spy determined to undermine our freedom.

Never said that and you know it. You know the truth and continue to lie and obfuscate. This is why you, and people like you, are scum.

Well. since there are no laws preventing it.. and since everyone has the ability with the same documentation and information to go get the same ID.. it is not targeting anyone.. whether it be race, sex, creed, nationality etc... it is ensuring compliance with the voting laws on the books, across the board

And this assertion that it is about blocking a race or whatever is exactly what makes ones like you, the very scum you accuse others of being

How can you make it harder?

- Require a visit to DMVs to get a voter ID and locate DMVs where you have to drive to get there
- Reject birth certificates for trivial errors
- Reject married women who's name on their birth certificate is different than their drivers license
- Require two picture IDs
- Refuse to accept student IDs as valid identification
- Refuse to accept IDS commonly carried by poor people

Forum List

Back