GOP leaders to skip Selma event

Well other than not being the party that fought tooth and nail against the struggle for equality,you might have something,but you don't.just more drumming up usless BS.
Republican where there when it happened when it was needed,now the Dems rush to try and take credit for other accomplishments,typical.

Go back and read the history books and quit trying to make it seem like Republicans of today were the Republicans of pre-civil rights era. It was Democrats (Johnson) who signed the civil rights act, and yeah, it is historically true that the racist Thurmond, Helms, Byrd were all part of the Democratic party and they were against civil rights, but you need to go further, Thurmond and Helms abandoned the Democratic party and joined the Republican party. The red states of the South who used to be Democratic, became Republican and happen to be the most racist, so how do you square that in your mind that it is the Democrats that are racist?

I'm pretty sure you got that off KOS or some other left site, all the leftists keep squawking it but never prove it. When did all these politicians switch sides exactly?

It's in the history books......the ones you probably never read if you ever went to school. It has happened more than once, but of course, your comment is indicative that you are not even aware of the most common of knowledge.

Wiki:
The 20th century[edit]

The shifts in American voter demographics beginning in the second half of the 20th century – the southern states from Democratic to Republican, and New England and the West Coast states from Republican to Democratic – have prompted several incumbent federal legislators and many state legislators to switch parties. In addition, as changes in state laws made it harder and harder for members of third parties to be elected or re-elected, many former members of these parties became members of the two dominant parties.

Wiki:
A magnet for controversy during his nearly half-century Senate career, Thurmond switched parties because of his opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, disaffection with the liberalism of the national party, and his support for the conservatism and opposition to the Civil Rights bill of the Republican presidential candidate Senator Barry Goldwater.

Jesse Helms was the most evil Senator of this time. He changed from Democrat to Republican. He liked to kill people. He murdered people. He was racist, homophobic and basically homocidal.
Talk Jesse Helms - Conservapedia

So why did 100 dems vote against the Civil Rights Act? Why did it take a republican to push it through? Was Dole a repub or dem? Where was his vote? Have you even studied the passage of the Act? Last but not least, Wiki is not a history book

Duh! Do I have to draw you a picture? I have stated and it is a known fact that the Democrats were the ones that were racist back before the civil rights, that is why Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms who were Democrats jumped ship.....they didn't like the idea of the Democrats pushing integration, that is when the shift started to occur. I can give you some historical facts, I can't make them penetrate your brain.

You're asking a lot of questions....don't you have Google? Asking questions is not debating - it's hedging.

And last but not least......where are your links to back up your idea that Republicans are the ones that back civil rights? Eisenhower passed a lame civil rights act that didn't do much. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was the one that made the racists come undone and it was passed by Johnnson, a Democrat.....and some Democrats immediately bailed and went to the Republican party.

The result was the Civil Rights Act of 1957, the first civil rights legislation since Reconstruction. The new act established the Civil Rights Section of the Justice Department and empowered federal prosecutors to obtain court injunctions against interference with the right to vote. It also established a federal Civil Rights Commission with authority to investigate discriminatory conditions and recommend corrective measures. The final act was weakened by Congress due to lack of support among the Democrats.
Eisenhower Presidential Library

You're parroting something you heard somewhere. All you dems and libs squawk about it but never prove it.

Well other than not being the party that fought tooth and nail against the struggle for equality,you might have something,but you don't.just more drumming up usless BS.
Republican where there when it happened when it was needed,now the Dems rush to try and take credit for other accomplishments,typical.

Go back and read the history books and quit trying to make it seem like Republicans of today were the Republicans of pre-civil rights era. It was Democrats (Johnson) who signed the civil rights act, and yeah, it is historically true that the racist Thurmond, Helms, Byrd were all part of the Democratic party and they were against civil rights, but you need to go further, Thurmond and Helms abandoned the Democratic party and joined the Republican party. The red states of the South who used to be Democratic, became Republican and happen to be the most racist, so how do you square that in your mind that it is the Democrats that are racist?

I'm pretty sure you got that off KOS or some other left site, all the leftists keep squawking it but never prove it. When did all these politicians switch sides exactly?

It's in the history books......the ones you probably never read if you ever went to school. It has happened more than once, but of course, your comment is indicative that you are not even aware of the most common of knowledge.

Wiki:
The 20th century[edit]

The shifts in American voter demographics beginning in the second half of the 20th century – the southern states from Democratic to Republican, and New England and the West Coast states from Republican to Democratic – have prompted several incumbent federal legislators and many state legislators to switch parties. In addition, as changes in state laws made it harder and harder for members of third parties to be elected or re-elected, many former members of these parties became members of the two dominant parties.

Wiki:
A magnet for controversy during his nearly half-century Senate career, Thurmond switched parties because of his opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, disaffection with the liberalism of the national party, and his support for the conservatism and opposition to the Civil Rights bill of the Republican presidential candidate Senator Barry Goldwater.

Jesse Helms was the most evil Senator of this time. He changed from Democrat to Republican. He liked to kill people. He murdered people. He was racist, homophobic and basically homocidal.

So why did 100 dems vote against the Civil Rights Act? Why did it take a republican to push it through? Was Dole a repub or dem? Where was his vote? Have you even studied the passage of the Act? Last but not least, Wiki is not a history book

Duh! Do I have to draw you a picture? I have stated and it is a known fact that the Democrats were the ones that were racist back before the civil rights, that is why Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms who were Democrats jumped ship.....they didn't like the idea of the Democrats pushing integration, that is when the shift started to occur. I can give you some historical facts, I can't make them penetrate your brain.

You're asking a lot of questions....don't you have Google? Asking questions is not debating - it's hedging.

And last but not least......where are your links to back up your idea that Republicans are the ones that back civil rights? Eisenhower passed a lame civil rights act that didn't do much. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was the one that made the racists come undone and it was passed by Johnnson, a Democrat.....and some Democrats immediately bailed and went to the Republican party.

The result was the Civil Rights Act of 1957, the first civil rights legislation since Reconstruction. The new act established the Civil Rights Section of the Justice Department and empowered federal prosecutors to obtain court injunctions against interference with the right to vote. It also established a federal Civil Rights Commission with authority to investigate discriminatory conditions and recommend corrective measures. The final act was weakened by Congress due to lack of support among the Democrats.
Some Democrats switching sides doesn't make your case and it was the Democrats that were the wrench in the machinery, not Republicans. Johnson signed it, good for him.

Lyndon Johnson was a civil rights hero. But also a racist. MSNBC

As longtime Jet correspondent Simeon Booker wrote in his memoirShocks the Conscience, early in his presidency, Johnson once lectured Booker after he authored a critical article for Jet Magazine, telling Booker he should “thank” Johnson for all he’d done for black people. In Flawed Giant, Johnson biographer Robert Dallek writes that Johnson explained his decision to nominate Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court rather than a less famous black judge by saying, “when I appoint a ****** to the bench, I want everybody to know he’s a ******.”

According to Caro, Robert Parker, Johnson’s sometime chauffer, described in his memoir Capitol Hill in Black and White a moment when Johnson asked Parker whether he’d prefer to be referred to by his name rather than “boy,” “******” or “chief.” When Parker said he would, Johnson grew angry and said, “As long as you are black, and you’re gonna be black till the day you die, no one’s gonna call you by your goddamn name. So no matter what you are called, ******, you just let it roll off your back like water, and you’ll make it. Just pretend you’re a goddamn piece of furniture.”

It's from a blog but the stats are correct, it's in an easy to read article and to the point

Look On the Right Side Who Passed the 1964 Civil Rights Act

You keep proving my point. Yeah, I know the Democrats were the Racists....I've been agreeing all along....that doesn't mean the parties stayed the same....Geez, this is going beyond obtuseness.
But you seem to be saying the Democrats changed but Republicans didn't. That's stereotypical and wrong.

It's from a blog but the stats are correct, it's in an easy to read article and to the point

You keep proving my point. Yeah, I know the Democrats were the Racists....I've been agreeing all along....that doesn't mean the parties stayed the same....Geez, this is going beyond obtuseness.
But you seem to be saying the Democrats changed but Republicans didn't. That's stereotypical and wrong.

Political Parties are not static and unchangeable. Modern politics more or less started in 1992, before that you had conservative democrats and liberal republicans all over the place. The social, religious conservatives for a long, LONG time really didn't have "Any" political party of their own. That's why you saw them voting for third party candidates for president all the time up until the 1980's.

Once the 1994 election occurred the rift was finalized and the Religious, social conservative right more or less joined the Republicans permanently.

The Democrats who voted against the civil rights act were very much a faction within the Democratic party and certainly not the base of the party. It's not surprising that Republicans would support the Civil Rights acts since they had very little interests in appeasing social conservatism at the time. Even Reagan wasn't much of a social conservatist. He more or less wanted to handle the economic and foreign policy issues and let all the social issues sort out themselves.

Wiki:
The 20th century[edit]

Wiki:

You're parroting something you heard somewhere. All you dems and libs squawk about it but never prove it.

Yeah, I get it, you've got nothing.

Wiki:
The 20th century[edit]

Wiki:

Some Democrats switching sides doesn't make your case and it was the Democrats that were the wrench in the machinery, not Republicans. Johnson signed it, good for him.

Lyndon Johnson was a civil rights hero. But also a racist. MSNBC

As longtime Jet correspondent Simeon Booker wrote in his memoirShocks the Conscience, early in his presidency, Johnson once lectured Booker after he authored a critical article for Jet Magazine, telling Booker he should “thank” Johnson for all he’d done for black people. In Flawed Giant, Johnson biographer Robert Dallek writes that Johnson explained his decision to nominate Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court rather than a less famous black judge by saying, “when I appoint a ****** to the bench, I want everybody to know he’s a ******.”

According to Caro, Robert Parker, Johnson’s sometime chauffer, described in his memoir Capitol Hill in Black and White a moment when Johnson asked Parker whether he’d prefer to be referred to by his name rather than “boy,” “******” or “chief.” When Parker said he would, Johnson grew angry and said, “As long as you are black, and you’re gonna be black till the day you die, no one’s gonna call you by your goddamn name. So no matter what you are called, ******, you just let it roll off your back like water, and you’ll make it. Just pretend you’re a goddamn piece of furniture.”

I've never denied that Johnson along with a lot of others were racist. Both Republicans and Democrats were racist, you can't claim that because Lincoln got rid of slavery that Republicans of that time were not racist, and Democrats were too.....if you do, you don't really know history. Lincoln had a difficult time passing the Emancipation Proclamation.

But, to try and pretend that Republicans are the ones that are pushing for equal treatment for blacks today, is ridiculous. You have more racist members that are willing to admit they are racist, who make awful racist comments and don't deny they are racist.....so put away your silly arguments, you aren't telling me anything I don't already know, but apparently you have a lot to learn, or to admit.

Political Parties are not static and unchangeable. Modern politics more or less started in 1992, before that you had conservative democrats and liberal republicans all over the place. The social, religious conservatives for a long, LONG time really didn't have "Any" political party of their own. That's why you saw them voting for third party candidates for president all the time up until the 1980's.

Once the 1994 election occurred the rift was finalized and the Religious, social conservative right more or less joined the Republicans permanently.

The Democrats who voted against the civil rights act were very much a faction within the Democratic party and certainly not the base of the party. It's not surprising that Republicans would support the Civil Rights acts since they had very little interests in appeasing social conservatism at the time. Even Reagan wasn't much of a social conservatist. He more or less wanted to handle the economic and foreign policy issues and let all the social issues sort out themselves.

Republicans and conservatives of today want to pretend that because Lincoln was a Republican and was able to abolish slavery that they are entitled to take credit for it and that Democrats are the racists ones, when they are the party that tries to demean and disenfranchise black people today.

Forum List

Back