Good Article on Deep State

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
In private industry you have two options: go with the orders and resign. You can tell your boss you don’t like it, but it still gets down to those two options. The word NO is not tolerated and you’ll be out the door if you use it.

“The “deep state”—if we are to use the term—is better defined as consisting of career civil servants, who have growing power in the administrative state but work in the shadows. As government grows, so do the challenges of supervising a bureaucracy swelling in both size and power. Emboldened by employment rules that make it all but impossible to fire career employees, this internal civil “resistance” has proved willing to take ever more outrageous actions against the president and his policies, using the tools of both traditional and social media.

Government-employed resisters received a call to action within weeks of the new administration. Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates became acting attorney general on Mr. Trump’s inauguration and Loretta Lynch’s resignation. A week later, the president signed an executive order restricting travel from seven Middle Eastern and African countries. Ms. Yates instructed Justice Department lawyers not to defend the order in court on the grounds that she was not convinced it was “consistent” with the department’s “responsibilities” or even “lawful.” She decreed: “For as long as I am Acting Attorney General, the Department of Justice will not present arguments in defense of the Executive Order.”

Mr. Trump fired her that day, but he shouldn’t have had to. Her obligation was to defend the executive order, or to resign if she felt she couldn’t. Nobody elected Sally Yates.

The Yates memo was the first official act of the internal resistance—not only a precedent but a rallying cry. Subordinates fawningly praised her in emails obtained by Judicial Watch. “You are my new hero,” wrote one federal prosecutor. Another department colleague emailed: “Thank you AG Yates. I’ve been in civil/appellate for 30 years and have never seen an administration with such contempt for democratic values and the rule of law.” Andrew Weissmann—a career department lawyer, then head of the Criminal Fraud Division and later on the staff of special counsel Robert Mueller—wrote: “I am so proud. And in awe. Thank you so much.” Ms. Yates set an example to rebels throughout the government: If she can defy the president, why can’t I?

That mentality fed the stream of leaks that has flowed ever since.”

Opinion | Whistleblowers and the Real Deep State

By now it should be clear that when someone says "deep state" it is a code word for the rule of law. Taking an oath to defend the constitution has put a lot of people at odds with our president. He's not an absolute monarch no matter how much the right wants him to be. People in the government know that following illegal orders puts you in personal legal jeopardy. Saying they were just following orders did not save the Nazis at the war crimes tribunal and it will not save anyone who has broken the law on behalf of the president.

By now it should be clear that when someone says "deep state" it is a code word for the rule of law. Taking an oath to defend the constitution has put a lot of people at odds with our president. He's not an absolute monarch no matter how much the right wants him to be. People in the government know that following illegal orders puts you in personal legal jeopardy. Saying they were just following orders did not save the Nazis at the war crimes tribunal and it will not save anyone who has broken the law on behalf of the president.
If you think it’s illegal you report it and if nothing is done you resign.

Deep State is running a coup attempt against a legally elected President.

Why do you think Trump's own White House has seen more turnover than a fast food restaurant? Even the people willing to work for him reach a limit at some point and walk. I'm as conspiracy minded as any political junkie but this "deep state" hogwash has less factual support than UFOs and Bigfoot. There are certainly hidden agendas in the government but they have nothing to fear from Trump, he is advancing their erosion of our constitutional institutions at super speed.

Wow...the stupid is strong with you.....

The deep state is not following the law, they are substituting their opinions for the rule of law.

Wow...the stupid is strong with you.....

The deep state is not following the law, they are substituting their opinions for the rule of law.
You people just say this stuff as if it is not just another convenient conspiracy theory of the right to explain why they suck at running things. The law is often a matter of opinion but in matters of government operation we settled a lot of it when Nixon left office in disgrace. Trump keeps running up against the institutions that prevent presidents from being absolute rulers and in your world the institutions must be at fault.

In private industry you have two options: go with the orders and resign. You can tell your boss you don’t like it, but it still gets down to those two options. The word NO is not tolerated and you’ll be out the door if you use it.

“The “deep state”—if we are to use the term—is better defined as consisting of career civil servants, who have growing power in the administrative state but work in the shadows. As government grows, so do the challenges of supervising a bureaucracy swelling in both size and power. Emboldened by employment rules that make it all but impossible to fire career employees, this internal civil “resistance” has proved willing to take ever more outrageous actions against the president and his policies, using the tools of both traditional and social media.

Government-employed resisters received a call to action within weeks of the new administration. Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates became acting attorney general on Mr. Trump’s inauguration and Loretta Lynch’s resignation. A week later, the president signed an executive order restricting travel from seven Middle Eastern and African countries. Ms. Yates instructed Justice Department lawyers not to defend the order in court on the grounds that she was not convinced it was “consistent” with the department’s “responsibilities” or even “lawful.” She decreed: “For as long as I am Acting Attorney General, the Department of Justice will not present arguments in defense of the Executive Order.”

Mr. Trump fired her that day, but he shouldn’t have had to. Her obligation was to defend the executive order, or to resign if she felt she couldn’t. Nobody elected Sally Yates.

The Yates memo was the first official act of the internal resistance—not only a precedent but a rallying cry. Subordinates fawningly praised her in emails obtained by Judicial Watch. “You are my new hero,” wrote one federal prosecutor. Another department colleague emailed: “Thank you AG Yates. I’ve been in civil/appellate for 30 years and have never seen an administration with such contempt for democratic values and the rule of law.” Andrew Weissmann—a career department lawyer, then head of the Criminal Fraud Division and later on the staff of special counsel Robert Mueller—wrote: “I am so proud. And in awe. Thank you so much.” Ms. Yates set an example to rebels throughout the government: If she can defy the president, why can’t I?

The problem with this OpEd is that in a private company is that the rules can change under new leadership, that is not the case with the government for the most part.

Every government employee takes this oath of Office...“I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Notice there is nothing in it about blind obedience to the president, just the Constitution. The actions of the government employees are guided by the rules and regulations put forth by Congress and most do not change with a new president.

Sally and company didn't care about "rule of law" when Hillary was blatantly breaking it, nor when the IRS was breaking it.

The problem with this OpEd is that in a private company is that the rules can change under new leadership, that is not the case with the government for the most part.

Every government employee takes this oath of Office...“I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Notice there is nothing in it about blind obedience to the president, just the Constitution. The actions of the government employees are guided by the rules and regulations put forth by Congress and most do not change with a new president.

Was it unconstitutional when Jimmy Carter banned Iranians from traveling to America?

Sally and company didn't care about "rule of law" when Hillary was blatantly breaking it, nor when the IRS was breaking it.
The other guy doing wrong does not excuse you doing wrong. Barr and Trump are doing far worse right out in open because they know you only care about wrongdoing if it's a democrat. Start caring about wrongdoing done by republican politicians and you won't have to disavow ever supporting them later.

Was it unconstitutional when Jimmy Carter banned Iranians from traveling to America?

You mean when Carter ceased all diplomatic relations, and prohibited trade, and froze Iranian Government assets, along with the cancellation of Iranian visas in response to them invading our embassy and taking our citizens hostages?

Nope, I do not think that was unconstitutional.

I do not even personally think that Trump's order was unconstitutional, but I was not the one tasked with carrying it out.

When I was a young LCpl I was given an order by my SSgt to put a false entry into a log book to cover our asses for making a mistake. I refused to do so as I felt the order was unlawful. The SSgt never pursued it, so I guess my actions were the correct ones. Yates made a similar choice, I cannot fault her for doing so. Seems she paid the price for her actions.

The American left is a totalitarian movement.

Irony-Meter-Explode.jpg

Why do you think Trump's own White House has seen more turnover than a fast food restaurant? Even the people willing to work for him reach a limit at some point and walk. I'm as conspiracy minded as any political junkie but this "deep state" hogwash has less factual support than UFOs and Bigfoot. There are certainly hidden agendas in the government but they have nothing to fear from Trump, he is advancing their erosion of our constitutional institutions at super speed.
You make my point. DC is infested and every time they show their true colors as in the OP Trump kicks their asses out the door. 99% of the people in DC should be fired.

You people just say this stuff as if it is not just another convenient conspiracy theory of the right to explain why they suck at running things.
You just dont want to grasp Reality.
Trump can run things, that how he made his billions, oh, but wait, you Woketards have rationalised that away, his success in New York Real Estate, his successful writing career, his successful Reality Star career. You have to think of Trump as stupid, so he just cheated at all of this, though Democrats were effusive in their praise of him prior to his announcement that he was running for President.
Trump is a manager. He does not see an appointee as someone who is necessarily going to stay in office for ever. He has a specific use for them, and when he no longer needs them because they accomplished what he hired them for, he lets them go. He is running his WH like he runs his businesses, cost effectively not by the expectations of the professional Political Class or the media.

An independent thinking person, which leaves you out obviously, would judge how well Trump is 'running things', by how the economy is doing, how strong our military is, how high average wages are and how low unemployment is, and not by the editorial page of the New York OnceuponaTimes.

Last edited:
You people just say this stuff as if it is not just another convenient conspiracy theory of the right to explain why they suck at running things.
You just dont want to grasp Reality.
Trump can run things, that how he made his billions, oh, but wait, you Woketards have rationalised that away, his success in New York Real Estate, his successful writing career, his successful Reality Star career. You have to think of Trump as stupid, so he just cheated at all of this, though Democrats were effusive in their praise of him prior to his announcement that he was running for President.
Trump is a manager. He does not see an appointee as someone who is necessarily going to stay in office for ever. He has a specific use for them, and when he no longer needs them because they accomplished what he hired them for, he lets them go. He is running his WH like he runs his businesses, cost effectively not by the expectations of the professional Political Class or the media.

An independent thinking person, which leaves you out obviously, would judge how well Trump is 'running things, by how the economy is doing how strong our military is, how hig average wages are and how low unemployment is, and not by the editorial page of the New York OnceuponaTimes.
Unlike all of the big name Democrats who are career politicians yet made fortunes just for having a job that was supposed to be just to serve the people.

By now it should be clear, when someone says "deep state" we are talking about scofflaw bureaucrats who flagrantly violate both laws and the rules of federal agencies to further the agenda of an ever growing apparatchik class that believes themselves entitled to make law and selectively enforce those on the books.

The Deep State is the deep corruption of the state. What is clear is that elections are a farce, the deep state runs the federal government without regard to law, elected official, or the Constitution. Draining the swamp means reigning in the our of control bureaucrats who ride roughshod on our nation. Start with firing ANY federal worker who violates the law. This means clearing the Stalinists from Congress and electing Americans who can pass laws overriding the dirty deals cut between the democrats and the public employee unions. Then prosecute. Start with leakers and moles. James Comey openly engaged in felonies by giving classified information to an uncleared person. Why is he not in prison? Because he is "a friend?" Is that how actual law works? KGB James Clapper is guilty of treason, prosecute him. Adam Schiff is guilty of treason, prosecute him.

Forum List

Back