The Ancient Rites That Gave Birth to Religion

Sacred beliefs likely arose out of prehistoric bonding and rituals.

The invention of religion is a big bang in human history. Gods and spirits helped explain the unexplainable, and religious belief gave meaning and purpose to people struggling to survive. But what if everything we thought we knew about religion was wrong? What if belief in the supernatural is window dressing on what really matters—elaborate rituals that foster group cohesion, creating personal bonds that people are willing to die for.
Kind of hard to look past the fact that 6,000 years ago they knew the universe was created from nothing and that man was a product of that creation.

Kind of hard to look past the fact that 6,000 years ago they knew the universe was created from nothing and that man was a product of that creation.
Man has been around more than 6000 years-

Man has been around more than 6000 years-
Then how do you explain this?
1516055f4cdb08e74b36cc40e8e3dafe.jpg

Constantine figured out "religiosity" and used it to his advantage.

"A literal blueprint for religion

First, establish a consistent doctrine called the New Testament with select gospels that speak to a universal belief, which was precisely what the bishops had done at Nicaea. Then decree that all other beliefs are heretical, unworthy of consideration, and all who don't believe will be excommunicated. To further enforce dogma, create the notion of sin, adding that if it's not forgiven, the soul will be sent to eternal damnation in flames. Never mind that the Old Testament mentioned nothing of any such place. Just create one in your New Testament, then use it to cement loyalty and obedience.

The fastest way t ensure a constant laity is to proclaim every person is born with sins inherited as punishment for Adam's fall from grace. To purge that 'original sin' a person must submit to baptism, performed only by a priest ordained by the church. A failure to rid that sin dams the soul to to hell. To keep people dependent on the church for their entire lifetime, create more sacraments. Holy communion for children. Confirmation at puberty. Marriage for adults. Last rites on the dead. A womb-to-grave influence over every aspect of a person's life, each milestone dependent solely on adherence to church doctrine. Along the way the sacrament of confession allows a chance to purge oneself of sin and temporarily avoid hell--- that forgiveness, of course, coming from only one source.

The church.

Sure, and the accounts are at least 6,000 years old if not older. We don't really know.
WTH are you talking about- bones have been found well over 6000 years old- :rolleyes:
I am talking about the age of the allegorical account of Genesis.

Not sure why TNDummy thinks that's funny. It's commonly known that the religious view has always been that the universe was created from nothing. I can only assume he's ignorant on that because if he thinks its funny that science now agrees with religion that the universe was created from nothing he not only proves his ignorance of science but also that he believes the the universe being created from nothing is proof of God's existence.

Not sure why TNDummy thinks that's funny. It's commonly known that the religious view has always been that the universe was created from nothing. I can only assume he's ignorant on that because if he thinks its funny that science now agrees with religion that the universe was created from nothing he not only proves his ignorance of science but also that he believes the the universe being created from nothing is proof of God's existence.
Religion itself is older than your creationist bullshit

I'm not a creationist, TN. So there's that.

And what does religion being older than that have to do with anything? Judaism, Christianity and as far as I know Islam have always believed the universe was created from nothing. Science finally caught up to them in the 20th century.

And what does religion being older than that have to do with anything? Judaism, Christianity and as far as I know Islam have always believed the universe was created from nothing. Science finally caught up to them in the 20th century.
So does the sumerian religion whom Abraham ripped off.

So are you saying the Sumerian's believed in the incorporeality of God, the unity of God and creatio ex nihilo?

Because besides being the foundational beliefs of the Judaeo-Christian religion these are the beliefs that pertain to God creating the universe from nothing. So if you tell me three common beliefs that are totally unrelated to the universe being created from nothing, you are wasting your time.

So are you saying the Sumerian's believed in the incorporeality of God, the unity of God and creatio ex nihilo?

Because besides being the foundational beliefs of the Judaeo-Christian religion these are the beliefs that pertain to God creating the universe from nothing. So if you tell me three common beliefs that are totally unrelated to the universe being created from nothing, you are wasting your time.
No, the sumerians didnt believe in your god. That wasnt thought of until later. They were polytheistic.
My point was, they believed everything came from nothing. Thats where abraham got it.
I believe there is a creation theory in Hindu where the universe came from nothing.
Your ripped off religion isnt special.
Also, why speak of science when your bible says the sun revolves around the earth?

Forum List

Back