God Damnit USMB.....Will you fix it?

I understand you needed to upgrade the software. But after months since the changeover, we still have that endless scrolling as a thread keeps building.

Either fix it or go back to the old format.

Yeah, like they're going to do that just because YOU say so...…..but if it's the string of quotes you're talking about, then try what they've said to do and use the 'selective' quote option...….thereby you'll break the sequence of the string. But that was a problem with the old format as well, or didn't you notice???

I understand you needed to upgrade the software. But after months since the changeover, we still have that endless scrolling as a thread keeps building.

Yeah, like they're going to do that just because YOU say so...…..but if it's the string of quotes you're talking about, then try what they've said to do and use the 'selective' quote option...….thereby you'll break the sequence of the string. But that was a problem with the old format as well, or didn't you notice???
The old format would terminate a Quote stream at a certain length. We did not have this problem.

If USMB is unwilling to listen to those who support them, they will have to deal with the consequences

The old format would terminate a Quote stream at a certain length. We did not have this problem.

If USMB is unwilling to listen to those who support them, they will have to deal with the consequences

Sounds like a threat...………maybe if the door did hit you in the ass, it might do some good

I should be able to look at what I am replying to without being swamped with irrelevant posts.

For crying out loud USMB.......Fix it

Yep, nothing more irritating than picking through 35 Alerts only to find that 5 are direct responses to you. And half the time they aren't even on topic. OP was about Trump corruption and all of a sudden we're talking about 57 states and the best guns. :rolleyes:

FlaCalTenn has already brought this issue up behind the scenes. It's annoying to us as well, but in case you haven't figured it out yet, the admins don't care. I'll send him a PM and find out if he ever heard anything back about it.

FlaCalTenn has already brought this issue up behind the scenes. It's annoying to us as well, but in case you haven't figured it out yet, the admins don't care. I'll send him a PM and find out if he ever heard anything back about it.

I appreciate what you guys do and am not trying to throw you under the bus.

But I am annoyed at the lack of action from USMB after over two months. I get the feeling the response is........Live with it.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand: do not reply to a post that is already 7 or 8 posts deep. Just copy the line(s) you want to address and replay to the thread instead of a post, pasting in only the part you want to talk about. Look - the software is written to show the post you are replying to AND the posts it replied to; if all you want to talk about is something in the last post then do the cut and paste and save us all a lot of needless scrolling.
Yeah! I could swear FCT made a thread about that. I already do that a bit anyway because I want people to see what the idiot said that I'm lambasting!

on that i will agree some of them are pretty dam long....
Seems they are now just ignoring the problem and blaming the posters for not terminating a thread
Selective quotes are not hard, once you get used to using them instead of automatically hitting the reply button. When the thread gets long, use select quote feature to break it up. Just quote the post you're replying to.
It's not complicated, rw. You can do this.

on that i will agree some of them are pretty dam long....
Seems they are now just ignoring the problem and blaming the posters for not terminating a thread
Selective quotes are not hard, once you get used to using them instead of automatically hitting the reply button. When the thread gets long, use select quote feature to break it up. Just quote the post you're replying to.
It's not complicated, rw. You can do this.
I do that and still get caught when I hit “expand” and get swamped by endless quotes. I also get endless alerts that someone has replied to my post when they haven’t.

Stop blaming the victims USMB.......Fix it

Go some where else scum bag or just copy the part you want to quote like they told us.
Spoken like someone who is tired of getting owned by the same poster, over and over.

I’ve been on boards where just the most recent 2 or 3 nested quotes are included. Anyone wishing to go further back needs only to click one of those nested quotes and they get the 3 before that one.

I’d find it hard to believe that an option to limit the number of nested quotes is not available in this software.

Why should I have to?

I should be able to look at what I am replying to without being swamped with irrelevant posts.

For crying out loud USMB.......Fix it

You know, there are ways to fix this yourself. Flack has been begging posters to cut down the quote tree, but either no one is reading the posting, or everyone's too much of a benighted goof to understand it, or too lazy to put in the tiny amount of work. Probably, it's all of the above.

You also seem unaware that USMB does not develop the forum software, and thus they cannot fix it without the developers creating the necessary procedures first. Flac has also informed us, a pertinent request has been issued to the developers.

Last edited:

Barking out orders always works.

Just learn to QUOTE properly. I do and I keep my mouth shut about those too stupid to figure it out

Sounds like a threat...………maybe if the door did hit you in the ass, it might do some good
Funny that he thinks hes that important.

There's no "going back" option because Xenforo dropped support of the version we were using. I've been to Xenforo forum, and there are other customers complaining, but they don't have the POSTING VOLUME we do and aren't feeling the pain...

Admin says "Xenofo is working on a fix", but the issue is -- people at ALL LEVELS of consumption have learned to LIVE WITH crap software and there's not the competition there USED to be for a lot of products..

SO -- the solution is in our fingertips... Practice Selective Quoting as in that TOP STICKY THREAD in this forum.. Read it, live it, feel the pride of being the "solution"... LOL...

Hard to keep fire belching fanatics from just pounding the "Reply" button.. I know it's HARD, but when you SEE one of these mile long nests of crap -- BREAK IT UP by "selective quoting"... You can even post "Your Welcome" message in your post to REMIND others...

Or page me when you see one and I'll stay up all night breaking up nests of crap,,,,

I don't know why this is so hard to understand: do not reply to a post that is already 7 or 8 posts deep. Just copy the line(s) you want to address and replay to the thread instead of a post, pasting in only the part you want to talk about. Look - the software is written to show the post you are replying to AND the posts it replied to; if all you want to talk about is something in the last post then do the cut and paste and save us all a lot of needless scrolling.

A lot of time, you don’t know how deep a thread is when you hit reply.
Or else, someone replies to you and you click to see what you posted and get swamped.

You know it EVERYTIME you hit reply, because the entire mess is copied to EDITOR... It's right there while you're POUNDING out you next brilliant reply...

I think the reason we're NOT getting more volunteers to do this selective quoting, or breaking up nests when they SEE THEM and get irate is --- because MOBILE SUCKS for highlighting text and hitting TINY BUTTONS... It's harder to DO selective quoting on mobile, it's harder to put more than 1000 characters on the SCREEN at any time...

A lot of time, you don’t know how deep a thread is when you hit reply.
Or else, someone replies to you and you click to see what you posted and get swamped.

You know it EVERYTIME you hit reply, because the entire mess is copied to EDITOR... It's right there while you're POUNDING out you next brilliant reply...

I think the reason we're NOT getting more volunteers to do this selective quoting, or breaking up nests when they SEE THEM and get irate is --- because MOBILE SUCKS for highlighting text and hitting TINY BUTTONS... It's harder to DO selective quoting on mobile, it's harder to put more than 1000 characters on the SCREEN at any time...
So the answer is.............Suck it up

We have a work around. Not a fix

Forum List

Back