George Washington’s Church to Remove Plaques Honoring Him

While I think this is silly, the congregation can run their church however they see fit.

Make it a national historic site and put a stop to it.

Jesus Christ is divisive.......they need to close their church by their own logic

Last edited:
I did some checking, and apparently this story is indeed true.
I don't know why I am surprised, but I'm pretty much speechless.
This is our nations father, this is our beginning. How dare they!

They should just forgive him for whatever it was that he did that offended them.

Is it the entire congregation that decided this, or did one group in the congregation institute rules among themselves and then force their rules on the rest of the congregation?

Last edited:
We need the government to intervene b/c an internal church matter wasn't handled to my liking. Who cares if I am not a member? Something needs to be done! lol

All over the Glens Falls/ Lake George area in upstate New York you can stumble upon little metal signs saying "George Washington slept here," or crossed the crick here or whatever. I don't know why "George Washington sat here" is so much worse.
Anyone who got offended that George Washington sat in that church really NEEDS to go to another church. If hoity toity DAR types give you vertigo, just remember there are other places you can worship. Let the Hysterical Society have its little plaque though.

We need the government to intervene b/c an internal church matter wasn't handled to my liking. Who cares if I am not a member? Something needs to be done! lol
Agree with the sarc, except it's not funny.

This is a historical site, and goes beyond what todays church members want. Fuck them, make it official, close it down, turn it into a site to be toured by Americans who wish to see and feel our history.

This is a historical site, and goes beyond what todays church members want. Fuck them, make it official, close it down, turn it into a site to be toured by Americans who wish to see and feel our history.

That's a terrifying thought. You're advocating the government stepping in and closing a church b/c you don't like the way it's members are running their own church. I take solace in knowing that is very unlikely to occur in this matter.

That's a terrifying thought. You're advocating the government stepping in and closing a church b/c you don't like the way it's members are running their own church. I take solace in knowing that is very unlikely to occur in this matter.

I don't want the government doing something like this unless there is a very special reason. In this case, this is a historical site that is very special.

Also, keep in mind, government takes over private property all the time against the will of the owner, for such things like government buildings, or freeways, etc.

I don't want the government doing something like this unless there is a very special reason. In this case, this is a historical site that is very special.

Also, keep in mind, government takes over private property all the time against the will of the owner, for such things like government buildings, or freeways, etc.

I bet most people believe their reason is "special" when they want to use the power of the state to punish people they disagree with.

At the end of the day, it's an internal church matter and the final decision should rest with the actual members of the church. Not some people on the web or some government agency.

What a bunch of PC assholes. Said they felt threatened because of plaques...well now you dumbass bastards just drew attention to yourselves.
George Washington's Church Says Plaque Honoring First President Must Come Down
You want to put a former President before God?
If there were plaques all over the building acknowledging Washington, I would ask this question myself, but it sounds like there may only be one which in my opinion is not that much to get worked up over.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Next thing ya know, someone will demand that church and state remain separate ; )

Forum List

Back