Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

Such a bridge wouldn't have to run the harbor on the same route as the existing bridge would it ? Get the harbor open for ship traffic immediately, and ferry workers and supplies on another route for now.

Sure, but where would they set it up that already has the access roads built?

Also the whole point if the bridge is a means of crossing the harbor, if there was a floating bridge that DIDN'T cross the harbor that it's not helping cross the harbor.

WW

Don't go using jargon non-sailors and non-boaters won't understand without an explanation. For the less knowledgeable people, a broad reach is a heading that has the wind coming across the boat at about a forty-five-degree angle to the stern (rear) of the boat. The flat, high container surfaces would act as inefficient sails at that angle providing at least some thrust.
Well said!
It's not my responsibility to educate people who pose as being knowledgable on the topics being discussed. What am I supposed to do with an idiot who claims that waves don't begin to break at 12?

I only have patience for those who can admit that they can learn, and then I'll answer their questions.

Interesting that, once again, on the unique topic that about 6 of our 30 regulars are experts on the topic yet don’t agree

If the hook finally caught, then you are of the opinion that the ship was in too close by this point, and therefore the ship hit in a swinging effect instead of a foward momentum effect ?
If you drop the anchor when the boat is moving forward, it's going to swing the boat around when the anchor bites.

How much of that affected the collision is not something I can say- just that when you watch the sped-up video, it sure gives that impression.

The port anchor is out, and the chain is in the water. The starboard anchor may also have been dropped, but the hawsepipe and surrounding hull is torn out on that side, so we don't know if that anchor was released or not.

Correct. Prop thrust is required for a Motor Vessel to have the ability to steer or maneuver. With dead engines, the vessel is at the total mercy of the currents.
Engine restart undoubtedly took place via the smoke coming from the stack, but was it in time to correct course ? It appears not if were the case. However, it could be something else, but the intense investigation will have to reveal it.

If politics get involved or they are involved, then we may never know the answers.

If you drop the anchor when the boat is moving forward, it's going to swing the boat around when the anchor bites.

How much of that affected the collision is not something I can say- just that when you watch the sped-up video, it sure gives that impression.

The port anchor is out, and the chain is in the water. The starboard anchor may also have been dropped, but the hawsepipe and surrounding hull is torn out on that side, so we don't know if that anchor was released or not.
Great reply

Engine restart undoubtedly took place via the smoke coming from the stack, but was it in time to correct course ? It appears not if were the case. However, it could be something else, but the intense investigation will have to reveal it.

If politics get involved or they are involved, then we may never know the answers.
Even if the engines restarted, it was only a second or two prior to the contact with the bridge. That’s not enough time to effectively alter the course of a huge container ship.

I think you have embarrassed yourself enough for one thread.
He won't stop now but that's the fun in it.
It was stated that the Port anchor was dropped but nothing was said about the starboard. And from what I saw once in just one of the videos is that there appeared to be a big swing to starboard. ??

More interesting in my opinion are the two course changes to starboard depicted on the red line that must be 'course made good'.

The first one could be just propellor thrust to starboard but the second one is too much for that.

Sure, but where would they set it up that already has the access roads built?

Also the whole point if the bridge is a means of crossing the harbor, if there was a floating bridge that DIDN'T cross the harbor that it's not helping cross the harbor.

WW
An alternative route can be established via large ferry vessels or even large landing craft vessels that are part of our beach landing ship's for military use (once a clearing is established by removal of a section of the damaged bridge). If we were at war and the bridge was taken out, then an alternate route would be established immediately. Maybe look for crossings where a pontoon bridge could be established at a closer land to land crossing. Just thinking in a war like senario I guess.

Even if the engines restarted, it was only a second or two prior to the contact with the bridge. That’s not enough time to effectively alter the course of a huge container ship.
You must be watching the sped of version of the video, because in a real time version of the video, it appears that time was on the side of the vessel if restart was established in time.

An alternative route can be established via large ferry vessels or even large landing craft vessels that are part of our beach landing ship's for military use (once a clearing is established by removal of a section of the damaged bridge). If we were at war and the bridge was taken out, then an alternate route would be established immediately. Maybe look for crossings where a pontoon bridge could be established at a closer land to land crossing. Just thinking in a war like senario I guess.
Forget the pontoon bridge. Why clear the channel? Go ask your dad.

Forum List

Back