Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

It’s 8th in Nation so this should not be a country wide issues for a lot of products

Agreed. New York, Philadelphia, Norfolk, Charleston, etc. should be able to handle surge traffic for a few weeks. If they need experienced hands they could even invite some of the Baltimore port workers down for temporary employment.

WW

The ships traveling out of that harbor (and others) are required to have a local pilot guiding the ship out.
The ship lost power, the backup generator kicked in but the engines never restarted.
A ship the size of the Chrysler building in NYC traveling at 8 knots. You don't just throw the parking brake or drop an anchor and have it stop on a dime.
It would take over a mile to actually stop the ship.

It's a miracle they closed that bridge within 90 seconds. If that had happened at rush hour during the day, the death toll would have been unbelievable.
The last passenger vehicle still on the bridge passed by 12 seconds before it collapsed. Wonder if that driver knows it was they?

The last passenger vehicle still on the bridge passed by 12 seconds before it collapsed. Wonder if that driver knows it was they?
They know. They have spoken about it locally. They haven't slept well since.

Dummy
Nowhere builds or rebuilds a 1977 bridge as if it was 2024
Why do you deny reality ? Modern bridges have concrete bases under the pillars to prevent them being hit. I guarentee that they will not rebuild the bridge using a 50 year old code.
Accidents are how we learn to do things better.
And govts all over the world will be looking at structures to see if they are safe.

The ship never regained power. The lights that came on right before it hit the bridge are from the emergency generator kicking in. The engine never recovered. The ship drifted at an angle when the anchor was dropped. The wind and current played into that. They had no steering, no rudder control, no thrusters/propulsion due to the engine being dead. Basically, they were at God's mercy.
Do we Know that the engines never came back on? Is that confirmed by those on board . I would think emergency back up includes more than lights?

Why do you deny reality ? Modern bridges have concrete bases under the pillars to prevent them being hit. I guarentee that they will not rebuild the bridge using a 50 year old code.
Accidents are how we learn to do things better.
And govts all over the world will be looking at structures to see if they are safe.
There is no reality in your contentions to deny

Do we Know that the engines never came back on? Is that confirmed by those on board . I would think emergency back up includes more than lights?
I'd bet the gen's provided power for navigation controls, like steering, hydraulics, etc and went offline for one reason or another. Looks like something else caused it to keep tripping off.

Usually the anchor moves across the bottom until it catches.
In a situation like this, it might never have actually caught. In reality, anchors are only part of what holds a boat or ship in place. There also is chain sitting on the bottom to hold the anchor in position for the flukes to dig in. In muddy or sandy bottoms, boats often use what is called a "plow anchor" which is shaped like a plow to dig into the soft bottom.

They didn't "turn" into the bridge support. The ship lost all power - total blackout - no steering, no rudder, no anything! They were at God's mercy! When you see the lights come back on at the last second, that is the emergency generator that runs emergency lights. The engines never came back on line. The ship drifted out of the channel when the the anchor was dropped (which is protocol in this situation). The person piloting the ship at the time was from the Baltimore port (required for all ships of foreign registration coming into or out of the port). This was a tragedy that no human had any control over. There is no conspiracy, no political involvement, no anything - just a freak accident caused from mechanical failure that no one could have controlled. The harbor pilot has over a decade of experience and reacted immediately when the blackout happened. The crew did everything he told them. Any person that thinks they could have done a better job is just talking bullshit. They sent out a MAYDAY call immediately, telling the port that they were going to hit the bridge and they needed to stop all traffic across it immediately. There's info shared locally that many of you haven't heard or seen, probably for the best, since people will try to twist words, take things out of context, and continue to spread rumors and conspiracies instead of the truth.
The engines were online; you can see the exhaust plumes in the various videos. I'm sure as soon as the power failed the engine room went to back full in order to slow the ship. The engine room watch has manual controls that would be unaffected by the power failure. This looks like a "crap happens" event, Murphy's law kicked in at the worst possible time with the worst possible results. About the only thing I can think of worse would be if the ship had been a CNG tanker and the pressure vessels failed making it a huge FAE bomb. That would have been the equivalent of a small nuke going off.

Forum List

Back