Former Trump Lawyer Sidney Powell Demands Speedy Trial In Trump Georgia Election Interference Case

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Looks like Powell and Trump aren't on the some page? Trump wants to drag it all about ...and Powell wishes a speedy trial.
I wonder how that's going to play out?

Former President Donald Trump’s ex-lawyer Sidney Powell, one of his 18 co-defendants in the Georgia election interference case against him, asked the judge overseeing the case to set a speedy trial—putting her at odds with Trump as his legal team opposes an expedited case schedule.
Powell, charged with seven counts in the case, filed the request with Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee Friday—two days after she surrendered in the case and was released on a $100,000 bond.
McAfee on Thursday ordered the trial for Powell’s co-defendant, former Trump lawyer Kenneth Chesebro, to begin on October 23 after Chesebro also requested a speedy trial in the case.

Trump’s legal team filed a motion opposing Chesebro’s request on Thursday and expressed plans to file a subsequent motion to sever his case from Chesebro’s and those of other defendants who request a speedy trial.

Good idea!....Get the first acquittal/hung jury out of the way and the rest get their charges dropped. ;)

If I were her lawyers I'd insist that there be no more than 12% blacks on the jury.
...or..the first plea bargain and co-operation deal--no jury required.
Who knows..but that the Govt. will have put its entire case out there before the public asap...bodes ill for the Trump campaign, who will be pressured to answer questions about the trial..while on the campaign trail~

Who knows..but that the Govt. will have put its entire case out there before the public asap...bodes ill for the Trump campaign, who will be pressured to answer questions about the trial..while on the campaign trail~
Nah, all they have to do is say the FBI's line over and over and move on.

Good idea!....Get the first acquittal/hung jury out of the way and the rest get their charges dropped. ;)

If I were her lawyers I'd insist that there be no more than 12% blacks on the jury.
The people in Georgia, the peers from the community who the criminal enterprise tried to harmed, by trying to throw out or disqualify their votes, or defraud them from their vote through fake electors, were mostly black, in Fulton County.

The jury is picked from peers in the community the alleged criminal act took place. Not by skin color.

The jury is picked, by who can be impartial in determining criminality, under the law....with the defense attorney say, and a Judge sworn to overseeing an impartial and fair jury....

Looks like Powell and Trump aren't on the some page? Trump wants to drag it all about ...and Powell wishes a speedy trial.

Former President Donald Trump’s ex-lawyer Sidney Powell, one of his 18 co-defendants in the Georgia election interference case against him, asked the judge overseeing the case to set a speedy trial—putting her at odds with Trump as his legal team opposes an expedited case schedule.
Powell, charged with seven counts in the case, filed the request with Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee Friday—two days after she surrendered in the case and was released on a $100,000 bond.
McAfee on Thursday ordered the trial for Powell’s co-defendant, former Trump lawyer Kenneth Chesebro, to begin on October 23 after Chesebro also requested a speedy trial in the case.

Trump’s legal team filed a motion opposing Chesebro’s request on Thursday and expressed plans to file a subsequent motion to sever his case from Chesebro’s and those of other defendants who request a speedy trial.
She will roll. They are all rolling now.

Not at odds. WIllis could very well end up prosecuting 19 separate trials.

If the Georgia prosecutor is as unprepared when getting the indictment as Jack Smith was, this is a very good strategy.

She doesn't have an election to be concerned about, so get the show trial over with would be the way to go.

I think the whole idea of trying multiple people in the same trial is highly suspect. Maybe in a "My Cousin Vinny" situation where two people are charged with the exact same crime done together at the same time, same place. But Powell's role in whatever crime the prosecutor has ginned up is much different from Trump's.

This is almost as silly as trying a Billionaire and his butler at the same time.

The lawyers, is who Trump's recent defense lawyer in the media circuit is blaming them for Trump committing crimes through following their bad legal advice, are trying to sever their cases from Trump's case....they see he is throwing them under the Bus.....

They want to get ahead of Trump's accusations and tell their story, without him...

They know that unlike wine, charges and trials, do not get better with time....

Also, this benefits the Trump defense team, they will see how and what prosecutor evidence is used against them....in their earlier trial....

Last edited:
If the Georgia prosecutor is as unprepared when getting the indictment as Jack Smith was, this is a very good strategy.

She doesn't have an election to be concerned about, so get the show trial over with would be the way to go.

I think the whole idea of trying multiple people in the same trial is highly suspect. Maybe in a "My Cousin Vinny" situation where two people are charged with the exact same crime done together at the same time, same place. But Powell's role in whatever crime the prosecutor has ginned up is much different from Trump's.

This is almost as silly as trying a Billionaire and his butler at the same time.
Conspiracy make for strange bedfellows~

What is her reasoning, besides anxiety?

I imagine that her lawyers feel that any distancing of their client from Trump is a good thing?
If she does cut a deal..it gives her the time to do so, and the prosecution time to revamp their trial strategy re. Trump, if required.

Ohhhh, she's prepared more than any prosecutor could be....i's are dotted and t's are crossed, hundreds of affidavits and sworn witness testimony, and physical, tangible evidence!

Now we get to see it all, and we get to hear the side of the defense presented!!!

The lawyers, is who Trump's recent defense lawyer in the media circuit is blaming them for Trump committing crimes through following their bad legal advice, are trying to sever their cases from Trump's case....they see he is throwing them under the Bus.....

They want to get ahead of Trump's accusations and tell their story, without him...

They know that unlike wine, charges and trials, do not get better with time....

Also, this benefits the Trump defense team, they will see how and what prosecutor evidence is used against them....in their earlier trial....
Interesting analysis. I don't take it as Trump's lawyers blaming bad legal advice, and I certainly never heard Trump's lawyers say that it was bad advice. Trump's lawyer has said several times that Trump followed legal advice in what he did, and therefore criminal intent cannot be proven.

The fact that other lawyers say after the fact that they disagree with your lawyer, does not make you a criminal for following your own lawyer's advice is the point.

Willis is ready, and has already said she can go to court as early as october.

The first deal is always the best.

Interesting analysis. I don't take it as Trump's lawyers blaming bad legal advice, and I certainly never heard Trump's lawyers say that it was bad advice. Trump's lawyer has said several times that Trump followed legal advice in what he did, and therefore criminal intent cannot be proven.

The fact that other lawyers say after the fact that they disagree with your lawyer, does not make you a criminal for following your own lawyer's advice is the point.
You can't flagrantly pick your lawyers by who will tell you what you want to hear, when a hundred other lawyers advising you, advised you of the opposite.....

Anxiety caused by uncertainty about her future, life on hold as hostage to the justice system, legal bills piling up waiting for the prosecutors to say, "Ok, NOW we really are ready," and damage to her reputation and professional standing due to being under indictment.

All that should not be stretched out due to a lollygagging prosecutor. That's the whole point of the Constitution's guarantee that a defendant get a fair trial.

You can't flagrantly pick your lawyers by who will tell you what you want to hear, when a hundred other lawyers advising you, advised you of the opposite.....
You "can't?" What law is that that you have to follow the advice of whoever you talk to first?

Forum List

Back