Former Bush Official Blasts GOP On Bergdahl: Bush Would Have Done The Same Thing

Bush was a bad president, many if not most conservatives will admit that.
I take it you are an American Conservative? if so in which of Bushes terms in office did you and most Conservative realise Bush was a bad Potus?

Well the Administration doesn't consider terrorism to be a big threat any more. It's global warming 24/7.

A few mass murderers. The top 5 in the Taliban. Hell's bells. Just because they committed massacres against innocent Afghan civilians their release can't touch the dangers of AGW.

Well the Administration doesn't consider terrorism to be a big threat any more. It's global warming 24/7.

A few mass murderers. The top 5 in the Taliban. Hell's bells. Just because they committed massacres against innocent Afghan civilians their release can't touch the dangers of AGW.
They were due to be released anyway!

For fuck's sake! Read a damn newspaper!

No they weren't. The intelligence community had these terrorists as extremely high risk and that's the reason the President broke the law to by pass Congress. 30 day notification.

For crying out loud they were with the exception of Reid not notified until after Bowe had been released.

Obama let out the Taliban Dream Team baby!

Last edited:

No they weren't. The intelligence community had these terrorists as extremely high risk and that's the reason the President broke the law to by pass Congress. 30 day notification.

For crying out loud they were with the exception of Reid not notified until after Bowe had been released.

Very first paragraph of this thread:

A former Bush administration official broke with Republicans on Tuesday to defend President Obama’s prisoner exchange, arguing that since “the war in Afghanistan is winding down,” the United States would be required to return prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay back to Afghanistan.

What part of that don't you understand? I think I know.

You think that the Taliban and al Qaeda are the same thing. They are not, and we do not treat them the same way. al Qaeda prisoners are stateless, and we have decided that we can hold them indefinitely.

Taliban, though, were the recognized rulers/'government' of Afghanistan. As such, their detainees are considered Prisoners Of War, and must be relinquished at the end of a war.

Last edited:

Very first paragraph of this thread:

A former Bush administration official broke with Republicans on Tuesday to defend President Obama’s prisoner exchange, arguing that since “the war in Afghanistan is winding down,” the United States would be required to return prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay back to Afghanistan.

What part of that don't you understand? I think I know.

You think that the Taliban and al Qaeda are the same thing. They are not, and we do not treat them the same way. al Qaeda prisoners are stateless, and we have decided that we can hold them indefinitely.

Taliban, though, were the recognized rulers/'government' of Afghanistan. As such, their detainees are considered Prisoners Of War, and must be relinquished at the end of a war.
I just saw a video of the release, the US special forces seemed very friendly with the Taliban, this reinforces your explanation of status.

You almost gotta laugh. They used to blame Bush and now they claim that Bush would have "done the same thing" by releasing the terrorist dream team in exchange for a traitor. The notion is ludicrous.

When did John Bellinger blame Bush? He was the Bush official who made the claim.

Didn't really read in the article where anyone was "blasted."

Bush indeed might have done the same thing but I do believe he would have followed the law as he always did. I think that is the biggest hit against Obama.

First of all that is complete conjecture.

And second, the left hated Bush's policies so why would they use Bush as a scapegoat.

Third, Oh brother blaming bush again for this?

And fourth I don't think bush would've done this. You don't negotiate with terrorists

And fifth if bush did this I would still strongly disagree.

Bush indeed might have done the same thing but I do believe he would have followed the law as he always did. I think that is the biggest hit against Obama.

Does international law not count?

Republicans were going to clobber Obama over this no matter how he did it. That is the point, as I see it, of the OP - the wildly inconsistent standards of Congressional Republicans for Bush as opposed to Obama. I don't recall Lindsey Graham threatening to call for Bush's impeachment over his released prisoners.

I would hope so: Former Bush Official Blasts GOP On Bergdahl: Bush Would Have Done The Same Thing

Republicans were going to clobber Obama over this no matter how he did it. That is the point, as I see it, of the OP - the wildly inconsistent standards of Congressional Republicans for Bush as opposed to Obama. I don't recall Lindsey Graham threatening to call for Bush's impeachment over his released prisoners.

Horrible. Obama to Leave US POW to Rot in Afghanistan After Withdrawal | The Gateway Pundit

Horrible. Obama to Leave US POW to Rot in Afghanistan After Withdrawal
Posted by Jim Hoft on Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 9:34 AM

Sgt. Bowe Robert Bergdahl was captured by the Taliban in 2009 in Afghanistan.
Four months ago, his family in Idaho received a letter from their son through the Red Cross.
He was still alive.

But sadly it looks like Barack Obama is going to leave US POW Sgt. Bowe Robert Bergdahl behind.

Obama will leave Bergdahl to rot in Afghanistan after US forces bail out next year.

Bush was a bad president, many if not most conservatives will admit that. When will liberals admit that Obama is a bad president?? Actually I'll take that back. Most liberals probably agree Obama is shit, but 99% of the libs on USMB will defend him no matter what. It's so pathetic.

They're afraid to criticize Obama because it means they would be......raaaaaaacists.

8ea43d15e41f31a80d919d9dbce6f981f9ee9bb666b0b09ec46e494a48395fb1.jpg

All of a sudden a bed wetter gives credibility to a Bush official...

Too bad it took you 6 fucking years moron...

I heard that a Postal Worker in the Bush Administration thought the swap was just swell.

Horrible. Obama to Leave US POW to Rot in Afghanistan After Withdrawal | The Gateway Pundit

Horrible. Obama to Leave US POW to Rot in Afghanistan After Withdrawal
Posted by Jim Hoft on Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 9:34 AM

Sgt. Bowe Robert Bergdahl was captured by the Taliban in 2009 in Afghanistan.
Four months ago, his family in Idaho received a letter from their son through the Red Cross.
He was still alive.

But sadly it looks like Barack Obama is going to leave US POW Sgt. Bowe Robert Bergdahl behind.

Obama will leave Bergdahl to rot in Afghanistan after US forces bail out next year.

No one is upset that we got Bergdahl out. They are upset that Obama released 5 really high level, nasty terrorists to do it. It's a precedent that sets a price on other soldiers heads. The Taliban now knows how to force Obama to get their players back. Even after 6 years of OTJ training, Obama isn't ready for primetime.

Former Bush Official Blasts GOP On Bergdahl: Bush Would Have Done The Same Thing

“I don’t see how these particular Taliban officials could ever have been tried in the southern district of New York,” John Bellinger, who served as an adviser to President George W. Bush explained during an appearance on Fox News Tuesday. “They’re certainly some Al Qaeda detainees who committed actual terrorist acts against Americans who perhaps could have been tried in a federal court because they committed federal crimes, but these particular Taliban detainees I think could never have been tried in federal court.” Although some of the released prisoners posed a danger to the United States when they were captured in 2002, especially toward soldiers serving in Afghanistan, several of the detainees did not commit crimes against Americans.

*snip*

Asked about reports that Bergdahl deserted his unit, Bellinger added that the former hostage “will have to face justice, military justice.” “We don’t leave soldiers on the battlefield under any circumstance unless they have actually joined the enemy army,” he said. “He was a young 20-year-old. Young 20-year-olds make stupid decisions. I don’t think we’ll say if you make a stupid decision we’ll leave you in the hands of the Taliban.”

Though Cheney told Fox News on Monday that he would not have agreed to the deal, Bellinger stressed that the Bush administration “returned something like 500 detainees from Guantanamo.” Statistics from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence show that only 6 percent (5 in total) of Guantanamo detainees released during the Obama administration have potentially engaged in militant activities. That compares with a rate of nearly 30 percent under the Bush administration.

Think Progress? Really? :lol::lol::lol:

If President Obama had not gotten him out, the RWs here would be screeching about how the president believes the Taliban are more valuable than a US citizen and that he should be impeached for deserting one of our own.

With the anti-American right, its just SSDD - just more lies about the president.

Forum List

Back