Ford To Cut 8000 Internal Combustion Engine Jobs To Focus On Electrification

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
Innovation forward does not always come without sacrifice. According to a report earlier today, Ford Motor Company is planning to cut as many as 8,000 jobs, pertaining mostly to positions in the American automaker’s internal combustion division. The layoffs are said to help wean Ford off ICE production and use those funds to further invest in EV development.

Why not just retrain the people they have to build EV's then?

Thats a good question. I guess it would depend on the location of the jobs in question. Of course major manufacturers have a history of claiming labor reduction for reasons not actually related to their claims. Ford is a pretty solid company, so a lot of those workers could be given other opportunities.

Innovation forward does not always come without sacrifice. According to a report earlier today, Ford Motor Company is planning to cut as many as 8,000 jobs, pertaining mostly to positions in the American automaker’s internal combustion division. The layoffs are said to help wean Ford off ICE production and use those funds to further invest in EV development.

This smells like spin to me. Smells like recession layoffs they're trying to repackage as "innovation".

Terrible.

This smells like spin to me. Smells like recession layoffs they're trying to repackage as "innovation".

Terrible.

Or trying to weasel their way out of Union contracts... but that's okay, as long as they have loyal Republicans willing to bend over when corporations screw working people, they'll get away with it.

Why not just retrain the people they have to build EV's then?

I think this is why...

It also says the 8,000 job cuts will pertain to salaried Ford employees

They are not laying off production line workers, they are laying off engineers and such. Those people probably know very little about EV technology.

With that said, the push for EVs is happening faster than it should. We as a country are not ready for everyone to be driving EVs.

Last edited:
They should start up a new factory and employ those workers there to build Broncos.

There are now consumers who have waited more than two years for their Broncos, yet to be built.
LOL.....It was nice of Ford to bring back the Scout II....In a less capable form.

MNr4X9Jmkj0ofHgKPHXZjo1rr1r73Mm3CQwaE5DJictN2ma3oewNBN1o-49f-MxMF7UaUTRJoiXTkgXW9eblvcj3TA6u8BnY4P1c1mP5mp-9PNnysn6sfJ5lJfj1HNi-_OgnsrkHUQ=s0-d

R.6375d5d10855373e0d2537d5f8c1a7e8

Every time I see a new Bronco I think Scout II....I guess it's because I owned one I used for hunting/trapping for several years.

I guess the employees could learn to code.....That's the dem answer to green policy worker displacement isn't it?

Or trying to weasel their way out of Union contracts... but that's okay, as long as they have loyal Republicans willing to bend over when corporations screw working people, they'll get away with it.
what republican would that be
Rashida Talib is their rep along with stablenow and peters

We'll follow our Prog brothers and purchase the superior electric Asian built vehicles when it is the norm.

No doubt. Self inflected. Most Americans can’t afford an EV nor do they want one.

I agree with both.

But at the same time, the only way to make them cheaper is to keep making them and have more people buying them.

I remember when a DVR player was upwards of $700 and now they are less than $50.

Flat screen TVs used to be a couple grand.

I agree with both.

But at the same time, the only way to make them cheaper is to keep making them and have more people buying them.

I remember when a DVR player was upwards of $700 and now they are less than $50.

Flat screen TVs used to be a couple grand.
That may occur, or maybe not. At any rate, manufacturing the batteries necessary for all these EVs is costly and extremely harmful to the environment. So, environmental benefit is minimal. Plus there are lots of negative, as spelled out in this column.
The Truth About EVs - EPautos - Libertarian Car Talk

That may occur, or maybe not. At any rate, manufacturing the batteries necessary for all these EVs is costly and extremely harmful to the environment. So, environmental benefit is minimal. Plus there are lots of negative, as spelled out in this column.
The Truth About EVs - EPautos - Libertarian Car Talk

As I said above, I do think that Ford is jumping the gun, we as a country are not ready for it even putting aside the concerns in your link, which are very valid concerns.

Because those Chinese slave lithium miners need the jobs soooo much more!

They could just transition those people to other departments but the article specifically said lay offs.

They wouldn't scuttle entire facilities and machinery and lose millions of billions of dollars of tangible assests for no reason when they could be retro fitted and people retrained.

sounds more like ford is preparing for profit losses or a recession. Any company knows there number 1 expense is always your employees. Lower tier employees are always the first thing to get cut.

I could be wrong and probably am, but it just doesn't sound right. 8k is a lot, it isn't like 800 people.

Forum List

Back