For those of strong faith, did you ever lose your faith, and if so, how did you recover it?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Or, possibly you lost faith and it never returned. Stories here if you could please.

It's just one of those days today when I reflect on life, and don't like what I've seen.

We see the fulfillment of Bible prophecy right before our eyes.m
For example:

2 Timothy 3:1-5
But know this, that in the last days+ critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power;+ and from these turn away.

On a positive note, Jesus' prophecy of the last days is being fulfilled today - including the preaching of th4 good news of God's Kingdom! (Matthew 24:14; Mark 13:10

We all have those days when we look around at the world events and begin to doubt. When that happens, I always turn to the Scripture. In this case -- Matt. 14

24 But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.
25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.
26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.
27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink,
he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

When we look at the storm and the waves around us, we've taken our eyes off of Jesus. That is when we begin to sink with doubt and fear. Just remember, He is our shelter in times of storm.

faith fulfilled is faith never lost -

columbus crossed the void to find land on the other side.

We all have those days when we look around at the world events and begin to doubt. When that happens, I always turn to the Scripture. In this case -- Matt. 14

24 But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.
25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.
26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.
27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

When we look at the storm and the waves around us, we've taken our eyes off of Jesus. That is when we begin to sink with doubt and fear. Just remember, He is our shelter in times of storm.

Yes, Jesus is our shelter (so is Jehovah) and we are in times of storm. The fulfillment of prophecies of Jesus about the last days in Matthew chapters 24,25, Mark 13, Luke 21 is faith strengthening. For example, this is the second pandemic since the last days began in 1914 (the first was the Spanish Flu of 1918). As Jesus foretold:

Luke 21:10,11
Then he said to them: “Nation will rise against nation,+ and kingdom against kingdom.+ 11 There will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another food shortages and pestilences;+ and there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs.

Luke 21:11
New American Standard Bible
and there will be great earthquakes, and in various places plagues and famines; and there will be terrors and great signs from heaven.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I lost my faith...but I was very angry with God.

Eventually I asked God to help me deal with the anger I had for Him. He did (as always).

It's just one of those days today when I reflect on life, and don't like what I've seen.
St. John of the Cross called it the Dark Nights of the Soul. I believe it was St. Theresa of Avila compared it to desert experiences. Saint Mother Theresa went through her own dark/dry times. It appears we all, great and small, have these times. What has helped me during dark days is taking note of small things...a star, a blossom, a dew drop. This may not work for all, but for me when the great and the major issues fail to move me or bring me out of the blahs, small things help. Saw a fawn, today...

St. John of the Cross called it the Dark Nights of the Soul. I believe it was St. Theresa of Avila compared it to desert experiences. Saint Mother Theresa went through her own dark/dry times. It appears we all, great and small, have these times. What has helped me during dark days is taking note of small things...a star, a blossom, a dew drop. This may not work for all, but for me when the great and the major issues fail to move me or bring me out of the blahs, small things help. Saw a fawn, today...
Most of my life has been dark, I think.

Forum List

Back