For the visually impaired

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Making 90 minutes matter for blind fans

"My match day experience isn't the same as everybody else's."

Mike Hughes has been a Wrexham football fan for more than 40 years, and a season ticket holder for the last five.

He has two genetic eye conditions which means he sees in "washed-out colour" and not in focus.

"I can see the ball travelling. I don't really have any idea of who does what, player's numbers, player's names sometimes I can identify them, sometimes I can't," he said.

The 55-year-old said while radio commentary is excellent, it can get caught up in the emotion of a match and lacks detail and precision.

He is excited about a new audio descriptive commentary service launching on Saturday at the Racecourse for the match with Eastleigh.

So proud of the club today. We think we might be the only club offering this service in the UK. We have a disabled supporters organisation and they have done so much to improve the experience for disabled fans.

They have raised the funding and installed wheelchair access and a wheelchair platform that has the best view in the house.

Their stance is that they are doing it for all fans because, lets face it, we all might need some extra help some day.

Access for disabled people is making strides in the UK but still has a way to go.

What is it like in the US ? What are your Stadiums and theatres like ? What can we learn from you ?

It's been at least 7 or 8 years since I've been a sports stadium, but if I remember correctly it was pretty wheelchair accessible. The entire time getting to your seat is a giant ramp. Yeah, you have a few steps, but you can drag your handi-"capable" friend down those.

Dunno. I avoid crowds, but with the laws concerning access here I suspect there's no problem.

Running a commentary feed sounds like a great idea.

It went really well. Only 6 users but one guy hasnt been for years and he has now bought a season ticket on the back of it.It will grow as word spreads. Oh, and we won as well.

Forum List

Back