For Every Confederate Soldier Statue They Remove, Put Up 10

Yes, you can draw parallels to the American Revolution and the Civil War

Morally, it is not even close

The colonialists revolted because they were denied a vote, denied representation, denied self determination

The South had all that. The South revolted because they saw an eventual end to their beloved slavery. They created a nation where 40 percent of its population was in bondage

The Confederacy was an abomination unworthy of honoring

It may not be worth "honoring" but there's certainly no need to tear every remebrcnce of it down either. And in fact, there's no need to likewise honor the North, who only viewed through rose colored glasses can you believe it was all about ending slavery. It absolutely was not. Early on, Lincoln would have gladly allowed slavery to continue if the south remained in the Union.

IMO, it would have been a much more noble cause to go to war expressly for the reason of ending slavery.
Killing people because they wanted their own country, despite their reasons, was truly evil IMO and for me I will never view Lincoln as a heroic figure in American history. In fact for me, I put him up their with other tyrants. Yes I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I really don't care.

Lincoln was a Tyrant. You are correct. If knowing the truth about history makes someone an extreme minority that's kind of pitiful.

That is what makes it worse
Generational slavery. You were not only doomed to a life of bondage, so were your children and grandchildren

We banned the importation of slaves in 1803. By 1860 our slave population had grown from one million to four million

The importation of slaves to the USA continued until the late 1850s maybe even 1860.
No, it didn't

After the law it was hardly enforced. So slaves hips continued comiung in
That is what makes it worse
Generational slavery. You were not only doomed to a life of bondage, so were your children and grandchildren

We banned the importation of slaves in 1803. By 1860 our slave population had grown from one million to four million

The importation of slaves to the USA continued until the late 1850s maybe even 1860.
No, it didn't

Just because slave ships just became illegal didn't stop them. the Navy hardly supported the new law. The money was too much to stop them. It was fast sailing ships from up North

Here is two of the last...

Wanderer (slave ship) - Wikipedia 1858

Clotilde (slave ship) - Wikipedia 1860
Smuggling is still smuggling
You could smuggle them in today

You seem to operate in the fringes. Justifying four million slaves because of the few who may have lived outside of the slave states.

I'm not justifying slavery. That was the USA who did that.
Yes we did
It was a cancer on our great society
Not just that we used it, but we chose to kill 600,000 men rather than give it up. Even after we ended slavery, we still fought and died to maintain vestiges of it and keep blacks as second class citizens

The colonialists revolted because they were denied a vote, denied representation, denied self determination

The South had all that. The South revolted because they saw an eventual end to their beloved slavery. They created a nation where 40 percent of its population was in bondage

It may not be worth "honoring" but there's certainly no need to tear every remebrcnce of it down either. And in fact, there's no need to likewise honor the North, who only viewed through rose colored glasses can you believe it was all about ending slavery. It absolutely was not. Early on, Lincoln would have gladly allowed slavery to continue if the south remained in the Union.

IMO, it would have been a much more noble cause to go to war expressly for the reason of ending slavery.
Killing people because they wanted their own country, despite their reasons, was truly evil IMO and for me I will never view Lincoln as a heroic figure in American history. In fact for me, I put him up their with other tyrants. Yes I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I really don't care.

Lincoln was a Tyrant. You are correct. If knowing the truth about history makes someone an extreme minority that's kind of pitiful.
Lincoln was our greatest president who preserved our new Nikon and ended slavery
The tyrants were those who rebelled to preserve their right to own slaves

"Lincoln was our greatest president."

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And in as much as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

...Abraham Lincoln in his debate with Sen Steven Douglas.

Seems racist and even white supremacist...

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And in as much as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

Nice quote....one of hundreds Lincoln made at the time

Representative of the mindset of the 1840s and 1850s

Someone who advocated the abolition of slavery was a radical, someone at that time advocating intermarriage, equal rights or social and political equality was fucking crazy

Lincoln was our greatest president who preserved our new Nikon and ended slavery
The tyrants were those who rebelled to preserve their right to own slaves

Yuk!

Someone who advocated the abolition of slavery was a radical, someone at that time advocating intermarriage, equal rights or social and political equality was fucking crazy

Ever read Lincoln's first inaugural address?
That alone should dispel the notion that Lincoln went to war to free the slaves.

That alone should dispel the notion that Lincoln went to war to free the slaves.

From Lincoln's first inaugural address...
"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."

Lincoln was a politician. He had to act with a reluctant Congress and public unconvinced about a war. He also wanted to keep on paths to reinstate recently seceded states
Lincons views on slavery had been well established and he ultimately United the nation and created a UNITED States, not just a bunch of states that were United

Our Greatest President

Lincoln ordered hundreds of Northern newspapers who dared to speak out against him to be shut down. And some of their owners and editors were arrested for disloyalty. In some cases the printing presses were destroyed.

This is a clear violation of the 1st Amendment of the Constitution that Lincoln swore to uphold.

Lincoln ordered hundreds of Northern newspapers who dared to speak out against him to be shut down. And some of their owners and editors were arrested for disloyalty. In some cases the printing presses were destroyed.

This is a clear violation of the 1st Amendment of the Constitution that Lincoln swore to uphold.

Whoop de fucking do

Lincoln did not hesitate to use his Presidential power. Desperate times called for desperate measures and a Civil War is a desperate time

The end result was Lincoln did what was necessary to save the country

Greatest American President

Lincoln ordered the arrest of Ohio Congressman Clement Vallandigham for the crime of speaking out against him.

Can you imagine that?
Breaks my heart

Desperate times call for desperate measures

Confederate soldiers’ statues are being removed all over the South. For in New Orleans, one in Virginia. More in Florida. But these are all on public land, in city squares. There is no attempt to remove any statues (or even flags) from private property. People can fly flags or display statues in their front yards, in full view, if they wish to. Some people here in Tampa, Florida already do.

So if the do-gooders really want to make Confederate statues an issue, let’s make it one for them. For every Confederate soldier statue they remove, let’s put 10 more up. They remove 10, we put up 100. They remove 100, we put up 1000.

Before you know it, you won’t be able to drive 2 blocks without seeing a reminder of the Confederacy and the people who fought for it. The do-gooders will wish they never came up with this idea. And yeah, there’s always airplanes with skywriting and message trailers.

Now, as for the politics, I can sympathize with black folks being uncomfortable with glorification of the nation that supported slavery. And maybe the flags representing that (partially) could be a bit over the top. Maybe that statue of Jefferson Davis also.

But the removal of soldiers’ statues is not acceptable. Jefferson Davis was a politician who led the Confederacy. And the Confederate flag represents that nation and its politics. But soldiers don’t make laws. They don’t prescribe policy. They follow orders and risk their lives (and often lose them) in wars. It’s just not right to remove soldiers’ statues and dishonor them in the process. They take them down….put more up.

How many have you put up since the day you posted this? How about your KKK brothers? Git 'er done Earl!

Chief Justice of the US Roger Taney, sitting as a judge of the United States Circuit Court for the District of Maryland, ruled that Lincoln had violated the US Constitution when he illegally suspended the Writ of Habeas Corpus.

After hearing this Lincoln signed an arrest warrant to have the Chief Justice of the US arrested.

Chief Justice of the US Roger Taney, sitting as a judge of the United States Circuit Court for the District of Maryland, ruled that Lincoln had violated the US Constitution when he illegally suspended the Writ of Habeas Corpus.

After hearing this Lincoln signed an arrest warrant to have the Chief Justice of the US arrested.
The same Roger Taney who wrote the Dred Scott decision?

The same Roger Taney who wrote the Dred Scott decision?

Yea that Roger Taney. It was a majority opinion.

US Constitution Article lll...Section 3.
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them.

Lincoln committed treason.

Lincoln waged war upon his own country. Unless one considers secession legal and the Confederacy was a sovereign nation.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them.

Lincoln waged war upon his own country. Unless one considers secession legal and the Confederacy was a sovereign nation.

Seems he didn't
Didn't see him prosecuted, did you?

Lincoln faced a despeperate situation....Civil War
He didn't worry so much about hurting other people's feelings

Much like FDR, our second greatest president. In WWII he took over the economy. Communism at its finest. The Government told you what you can produce in the best interest of the war effort. Built the arsenal of Democracy

Seems he didn't
Didn't see him prosecuted, did you?

Lincoln faced a despeperate situation....Civil War
He didn't worry so much about hurting other people's feelings

Much like FDR, our second greatest president. In WWII he took over the economy. Communism at its finest. The Government told you what you can produce in the best interest of the war effort. Built the arsenal of Democracy

"Didn't see him prosecuted, did you?"

His Presidency was Terminated. Duh.

Forum List

Back