Fish. Good or bad ?

I don't eat freshwater fish. Just salt water, as I have taste buds.
Never had fresh trout?
We rented a cabin somewhere in Pa in the early 70's and caught a bunch of rainbow trout in the stream nearby....you could see them down in the emerald green clear water. So it was the first time I ever caught, cleaned, cooked and ate my own fish and nothing comes close to that. My favorite is probably red snapper, halibut and fresh wild salmon, though, but I don't eat anything out of the Gulf of Mexico anymore. Very sad to see what the oil companies( and chemical industries) have done to it..

Last edited:
Actually it's both...

Generally you want to eat small fish caught in the wild, and avoid large fish (high in mercury) or anything farm-raised. I was surprised to learn that canned sardines and mackerel are really good for you - super-high in omega-3 oil (the stuff that's good for you).

When harvesting any fish from a stream or river, try to catch them from areas with the strongest/fastest current. Doing this will reduce pollutants consumed when eating their flesh. Same thing applies to gathering drinking water in a survival situation. Also, most fish flesh can be "sanitized" by soaking it overnight in saltwater and/or vinegar, depending on one's tastes. Orange or lemon juice will also draw out toxins from fish meat.

Ya gotta watch the citrus or you'll end up with Ceviche.
But I'm good with that!
We make Ceviche a lot when we go fishing,fresh or saltwater.
We'll fillet the first few we catch,toss em in a bag of lime and lemon juice and you're good to go.

Never had fresh trout?
We rented a cabin somewhere in Pa in the early 70's and caught a bunch of rainbow trout in the stream nearby....you could see them down in the emerald green clear water. So it was the first time I ever caught, cleaned, cooked and ate my own fish and nothing comes close to that. My favorite is probably red snapper, halibut and fresh wild salmon, though, but I don't eatq anything out of the Gulf of Mexico anymore. Very sad to see what the oil companies have done to it..

There's nothing wrong with fish from the Gulf.
In fact thats where everyone fishes....around the rigs.

There's nothing wrong with fish from the Gulf.
In fact thats where everyone fishes....around the rigs.
The BP disaster was only 10 years ago, and it's only one of thousands of abandoned, leaking rigs out there. That along with chemical runoff from the Mississippi. The dispersants they used in 2010 have not been long-term tested at all, and if you think the FDA is testing everything thoroughly, you're crazy.

I don't eat talipia because they feed talipia the shit from the other fish they raise in fish farms. Go ahead and look it up. I saw it on that TV show Dirty Jobs first.
LOL my wife was once a big fan of it until I clued her in. We call it the poo fish now.
Catfish are well known bottom feeders too as are cod, halibut and sole.

Never had fresh trout?
We rented a cabin somewhere in Pa in the early 70's and caught a bunch of rainbow trout in the stream nearby....you could see them down in the emerald green clear water. So it was the first time I ever caught, cleaned, cooked and ate my own fish and nothing comes close to that. My favorite is probably red snapper, halibut and fresh wild salmon, though, but I don't eatq anything out of the Gulf of Mexico anymore. Very sad to see what the oil companies( and chemical industries) have done to it.
Went to college in PA in the early 70s. We may have eaten from the same streams.

Actually it's both...

Generally you want to eat small fish caught in the wild, and avoid large fish (high in mercury) or anything farm-raised. I was surprised to learn that canned sardines and mackerel are really good for you - super-high in omega-3 oil (the stuff that's good for you).
What have you been smoking?

Grilled scallops is one of my favorites.

Here's something interesting - I don't know if anyone here ever heard of...poor man's lobster made with boiled cod or halibut ?

In some places halibut is more expensive than lobster I'm pretty sure....even frozen is high.

What have you been smoking?
Watch and learn something for a change.

I'm an expert on the subject, and there is no information in that YouTube video that I did not already know.

He seems obsessed with Omega-3 fatty acids, and he primarily ranks the healthiness of eating different fishes based on how much of that nutrient they contain. It's an overly simplistic way to rank them IMO. It's tunnel vision.

And later when he makes statements about antibiotics that come straight from ridiculous unscientific vegan propaganda, he loses some of the credibility he earned earlier in the video.

That said, regarding nutrition, he is definitely more knowledgeable than the average nutritionist.

Actually it's both...

Sardines eat plankton and have very little Mucery in them
They are packed with just about any nutrient you seek.

Im a big fan of Alaskan King Crab myself. I'd have that over lobster either Maine or Pacific any day. Although I gotta tell ya, fresh hand caught lobster from a pot of boiling sea water is mighty tasty. Especially when washed down with plenty ice cold beer and dipped in a pan of melted butter that was melted over the camp fire used to boil the lobster after the night dive to catch the lobster. Emmm, emmmm good!

I still prefer the white death of pure granulated sugar, that made southern sweet tea famous.
That wouldn't be so bad if most of it wasn't made from processed sugar beets.
I never realized a difference between sugar beets and sugar cane. The amounts I use are generally considered outrageous. My pancreas is a gift from God.

I never realized a difference between sugar beets and sugar cane. The amounts I use are generally considered outrageous. My pancreas is a gift from God.
I use it sparingly in cooking and kool aid but I use honey
whenever possible, like coffee - black with honey- that's it. $10 worth of organic honey lasts a long time and never spoils.

Last edited:
Fresh walleye is delicious. Fresh pike is also.

When I mean fresh I mean I just pulled it out of the lake fresh.

same goes for grouper and snapper.

We caught a blackfin tuna last time in the Bahamas trolling for mutton snapper and that little bahstid was delicious also, as was the mutton we stuck in the boat that day also.

The fresher the better, naturally, I've bought red snapper several times at the local markets. Never the same. Good, but just not quite there....

Forum List

Back