First ribeye loin grill

I'm confused...is it ribeye steak, bone in...or ribeye without the bone?

I don't trim them. The fat on ribeye is different than fat elsewhere, and it makes the meat. That isn't to say you are obliged to eat it all. But cook it with the fat. There will be some hard fat and some soft fat...generally speaking the fat all tastes good but I don't eat the hard fat or big globs of fat. But I don't cut up my ribeyes.

I season them with salt and pepper...then I grill or fry on pretty high heat. I like them rare, or medium rare. Rare makes me happiest. Seared on the outside. When I turn it I put a big dollop of butter on the cooked side. When I serve it I put more on.

It's one of the easiest and fastest steaks to cook, if that's what we're talking about.
Its a rib eye loin with no bones. About a 3 pound chunk.
My way of cooking the actual meat isn't the problem, I need help with my au jus. I have only done it once and used powder stuff from store... gross
I only cut off the thick layer of fat on one side. It still has plenty lol

Ok that's prime rib roast.

My sister is the prime rib expert. She had enough money to keep buying them until she got it right.

I am really no expert on prime rib roast. I have made it, but I am a poor single mother and I don't often have an opportunity to buy a prime rib. I have cooked them in industrial kitchens, but that's a hole different thing, those things are large. I've never cooked it on a grill, though I've cooked hundreds of ribeyes.

You aren't going to be able to make au jous if you grill it, unless there's some secret that I don't know to catch the juice and drippings.

I wouldn't have cut off the fat, the fat protects the meat so you can cook high and get that nice outer brown on a rare piece of meat...would also sear before, not after, cooking.
This one is small, that's the only reason I could afford it lol. 14 bucks for a 3 lb roast aint bad!
I am going to put an aluminum pan under the grill rack to catch everything.
I wanted to cut off the fat on the top because of a crust and I didn't want to lose herbs and spices when I trim it off after cooking.

slap that puppy on a grill....and use a meat temperature gauge
what about au jus? That's my problem.

You'll have to capture the drippings.
As much as you'd like to use a grill i've learned over time that the stove and oven are your best friend when trying to create culinary bliss.
I was once a grill/smoker aficionado but i've learned over time that you're missing out on a much more precise method of cooking.

au jus is just the dripping from the pan......you are using a grill, no?
yes. My plan was to put all my trimmings, some onion and wors sauce and water or dark ale in it and put it under roast in grill. Am I going down the right path?

Get these two books and do yourself a favor. It teaches you the basics of sauces and the flavors that go with other flavors.
This will give you the ability to make your own creations without totally fucking things up.

The Flavor Bible by Karen Page and Andrew Dorenburg.
And The Sauciers Apprentice by Raymond Sokolov.

These two Tomes will change your thinking when it comes to cooking....for the better.

As much as you'd like to use a grill i've learned over time that the stove and oven are your best friend when trying to create culinary bliss.
I was once a grill/smoker aficionado but i've learned over time that you're missing out on a much more precise method of cooking.
Yes, I remember you saying you bbq'd
You are probably right but the wife and I are addicted to the flavor.

yes. My plan was to put all my trimmings, some onion and wors sauce and water or dark ale in it and put it under roast in grill. Am I going down the right path?

Get these two books and do yourself a favor. It teaches you the basics of sauces and the flavors that go with other flavors.
This will give you the ability to make your own creations without totally fucking things up.

These two Tomes will change your thinking when it comes to cooking....for the better.
Just looked up sauciers apprentice on amazon. I'm going to order it. It looks awesome. Thanks!

Yes, I remember you saying you bbq'd
You are probably right but the wife and I are addicted to the flavor.

Yes,I was on an award winning BBQ team for a few years and while I learned a great deal on smoking meats I realized over time you severely limit yourself if you dont branch out and use other methods.
BBQ once mastered is really a simple method but the actual flavor is one dimensional.....smoke.
I mean if you really like BBQ and dont want to venture into other methods thats fine. But I promise you if you're really interested in the finer points of cooking you'll get tired of it over time and you'll want to branch out and learn the finer points of cooking.
My trip has taken about 30 years and I've come to the conclusion that if you dont constantly build your knowledge you'll get bored. After all...you can only smoke so many briskets or pork shoulders before ya get sick of em.

Ok I just can't let.the.fat thing go lol. The seasonings are on the.fat and as the fat cooks down it takes the.seasonings along the.meat. Justnbecause it is on there doesn't mean you eat it.

Now if you have two inches of.fat.on there I can see maybe trimming it off a little, but the whole point of ribeye is that fat.

And the searing.comes.first. Please don't steam it and then sear it you are breaking my heart.

Ok I just can't let.the.fat thing go lol. The seasonings are on the.fat and as the fat cooks down it takes the.seasonings along the.meat. Justnbecause it is on there doesn't mean you eat it.

Now if you have two inches of.fat.on there I can see maybe trimming it off a little, but the whole point of ribeye is that fat.

And the searing.comes.first. Please don't steam it and then sear it you are breaking my heart.
There was alot of fat on there. It wasn't 2 inches but it was a lot. That much fat would never cook down.

Just looked up sauciers apprentice on amazon. I'm going to order it. It looks awesome. Thanks!

Dont bypass the flavor bible. It'll teach you what goes together based on flavors so you dont fuck up in the kitchen on all levels.

Hon it doesn't disappear. It's not supposed to. If you are going to cook premier cuts of meat you have to get over your fat aversion. Prime rib is cooked and.served with the fat...or at least most of it. You can trim it down if it's prodigious but otherwise it is supposed to be there. It protects the meat...now you do trim off the caps at each end I think.

There was alot of fat on there. It wasn't 2 inches but it was a lot. That much fat would never cook down.

Exactly. While fat is desirable it can be over done.
If you have enough to trim make beef tallow.
Nothing better than a steak seared in beef tallow with a little bit of clarified truffle butter and a sprig of thyme or rosemary.

Hon it doesn't disappear. It's not supposed to. If you are going to cook premier cuts of meat you have to get over your fat aversion. Prime rib is cooked and.served with the fat...or at least most of it. You can trim it down if it's prodigious but otherwise it is supposed to be there. It protects the meat...now you do trim off the caps at each end I think.
Some fat melts down. Maybe my experiences differ but it does for me. And I left some fat on there. I never cook a big cut of meat without leaving some fat on there. Chicken breast? Pork chop? I trim off as much as I can.

Some fat melts down. Maybe my experiences differ but it does for me. And I left some fat on there. I never cook a big cut of meat without leaving some fat on there. Chicken breast? Pork chop? I trim off as much as I can.

There is a type of fat that is extremely hard to melt down and you're better off removing.
Take brisket for an example. The hard fat will never break down before your meat is done and it's what causes the stall when smoking a brisket which of course causes your brisket to dry out before reaching temp.

Omg noooooo...

Chicken fat I leave on because it renders down to make the best fat ever. I'd rather cook fried potatoes in chicken fat than anything.
Why You Should Never Throw Away Chicken Fat « Food Hacks Daily

How to Make Perfect French Market Roast Chicken with Potatoes

The French specifically use chicken fat for a lot of things. I've made garlic chicken where the chicken is laid on a layer of garlic cloves....when it is cooked you whisk/mash the garlic into a spread in the rendered fat and drippings, and serve it with french bread.

For pork I leave it on and cook it. For a pork roast it's fat side up, scored.

For chops, they just stay on. Afterwards snoop gets the leftovers. If there is a lot I save it and dispense to him over a period of time.

I pour the rendered fat into a jar and use it instead of oil for frying, it tastes better.

And after I pour the excess off, I still use some for the best gravy ever.

It was a success!
Used a bit of beef stock and added a but more halfway through.
Excellent

Forum List

Back