Ferguson style law and order

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Shocking stuff.
Was Ferguson just a one off or are there other areas of the US where the local justice system runs at a profit ?

Here's a brain teaser. What is more shocking? Tommy's undeveloped ideas about Ferguson or his vague sweeping question about all local areas of the US?

Just a quest for knowledge. I suspect it isnt widespread because there would have been more riots.

Just a quest for knowledge. I suspect it isnt widespread because there would have been more riots.
Usually when one has a " quest for knowledge" they find out a little bit about the matter before hand. You offer no evidence that you know anything about Ferguson, riots, or American cities in general.

Shocking stuff.
Was Ferguson just a one off or are there other areas of the US where the local justice system runs at a profit ?
What are you referring to, "runs at a profit?" Writing unnecessary tickets, chasing them down with unnecessary warrants, all generating $$ collected by the court?
A small town I lived in had a 'speed trap' at the edge of town that was used very regularly for the enhancement of the town's coffers. I suppose they all do it, to some extent. Issuing warrants for minor unpaid fines is pretty harsh, though. I doubt if the officials in Ferguson would admit doing that for a 'profit.' That is an outsider's spin on it. Who was it? DOJ?

Usually when one has a " quest for knowledge" they find out a little bit about the matter before hand. You offer no evidence that you know anything about Ferguson, riots, or American cities in general.
Guess you don't either, huh?

There haven't been many riots over unfair government fees since the Boston Tea Party. Plenty of other stuff, but not $$.

I'm not the one asking the sweeping question, Old Lady. You got some other issue with me? Spit it out.

Shocking stuff.
What are you referring to, "runs at a profit?" Writing unnecessary tickets, chasing them down with unnecessary warrants, all generating $$ collected by the court?
A small town I lived in had a 'speed trap' at the edge of town that was used very regularly for the enhancement of the town's coffers. I suppose they all do it, to some extent. Issuing warrants for minor unpaid fines is pretty harsh, though. I doubt if the officials in Ferguson would admit doing that for a 'profit.' That is an outsider's spin on it. Who was it? DOJ?
That was it really.I saw a doc last night and will try and find the link. Basically they were saying that when there was a shortfall they would add a bit more to the total of tickets that needed issuing. The view was that it stopped the police from using their discretion as they had sales targets to reach.They talked to a few citizens about how it affected them and it seemed Dickensian.
Its a fine line between enforcing the law and being oppressive.

Shocking stuff.
That was it really.I saw a doc last night and will try and find the link. Basically they were saying that when there was a shortfall they would add a bit more to the total of tickets that needed issuing. The view was that it stopped the police from using their discretion as they had sales targets to reach.They talked to a few citizens about how it affected them and it seemed Dickensian.
This is why it is helpful to share a link or at least offer some context to your question when you post. After all, you won't always luck out that someone will guess what you are talking about.

I'm not the one asking the sweeping question, Old Lady. You got some other issue with me? Spit it out.
If you can't answer the question, move to another thread. I just get sick of folks going out of their way to be unhelpful and rude for no reason. I like interesting threads, and insults ain't interesting.

If you can't answer the question, move to another thread. I just get sick of folks going out of their way to be unhelpful and rude for no reason. I like interesting threads, and insults ain't interesting.
Thanks for sharing.

Shocking stuff.
For years, the State Police openly admitted they had 'quotas' on arrests or traffic tickets, whatever. That doesn't seem to be such a popular stance anymore. So in England there aren't 'speed traps' and end of the month traffic stops to see if you're wearing your seatbelt or have insurance?

Shocking stuff.
For years, the State Police openly admitted they had 'quotas' on arrests or traffic tickets, whatever. That doesn't seem to be such a popular stance anymore. So in England there aren't 'speed traps' and end of the month traffic stops to see if you're wearing your seatbelt or have insurance?
Yes we have those. Speed cameras have been an issue with many but they are generally placed where there are accident spots. You can also get a ticket for the usual stuff like bald tyres and so on.Our police arent incentivised on this sort of thing though. If something is obvious then you will get a ticket but they dont do a forensic search looking for a problem. In Ferguson I got the impression that being pulled over was the prelude to a full car inspection.
If you do that you will generally find something but it is unlikely to do much for community relations.
I have found the doc for you. It is probably well know over there.

You're right it does nothing for community relations! I hear they do this stuff BIG TIME in New York City (where they also wanted a city wide ban on soda pop because it's fattening), but anyone crazy enough to live in NYC apparently accepts it as part of life. On the news this morning, I hear they are considering giving people a ticket if they take up two seats on the subway.
Maybe some people from other parts of the country will give you the scoop.

You're right it does nothing for community relations! I hear they do this stuff BIG TIME in New York City (where they also wanted a city wide ban on soda pop because it's fattening), but anyone crazy enough to live in NYC apparently accepts it as part of life. On the news this morning, I hear they are considering giving people a ticket if they take up two seats on the subway.
Maybe some people from other parts of the country will give you the scoop.
The Police work with the consent of the local community. It will never work if they are despised.
They tried to put a tax on soft drinks in the UK a little while back but the Tories blocked it. They are owned by big sugar.
I dont think there is anything wrong with a sugar tax. The state is footing the bill for obesity and related illnesses such as diabetes. The producers should share the load.

Its a money maker. Why would the state opt out of making more money? Morals? lmao

Republicans know this is true when it comes to traffic tickets and speed cameras. But a funny thing happens when you mention race. Republicans will attempt to deny it happens only when it happens to another race. Or maybe just blacks alone...

Shocking stuff.

image.jpeg

Forum List

Back