Farmers thrash idea of commercial licenses

I have a buddy getting his CDL.

It's not easy and it's based around operating and driving semies.

Would semi drivers now be required to learn farm equipment along with farmers learning semi's?

or are we going to devolpe different license for each peice of farm gear?

I'm against it. In the end all the commericial license does is line the coffers and nothing else!

And people wonder why conservatives say government is the problem, not the solution. :cool:

CDLs for farm equipment? This is an astoundingly stupid idea.

It certainly is.
The arrogant pricks, this is the type of shit that is sucking the lifeblood out of the country.
I would, however, love to be there when someone stopped my ole man and asked him for his license to drive his tractor. :lol:

In the spring and fall, there's all sorts of farm equipment navigating the state highways around here.
Farms are larger and farm holdings are more spread apart. Why should they get a pass?
Hell yeah pony up that CDL.

Isn't it enough that we have to burn their goddamn corn and beans in our vehicles?

CDLs for anything..pffft.

I can drive a tractor trailer. I don't need no stinking CDL.

Heck..I'd like to try brain surgery too. Or being a Lawyer.

I've always wanted to be a pilot too.
Didn't need drivers licenses until the 50's. What some people don't realize is that gov't licensing is a form of control and taxation.

You do know that the Mexicans Trucks will get a waiver right?

good lord you've gotten infected with tyranny.

Farmers grow up learning how to operate this equipment. Who the hell are they going to get to "teach and test" farmers how to do such things.

I'd like to cut hair. can't, not licensed
I'd like to drive a taxi. can't not licensed
I'd like to carry a gun. cant, can't afford my Constitution right, b/c of the cost of a license
I'd like to hunt and fish, ooo more licesnse

Seriously, the left looks more and more like tyrants everyday.

I do not need a liscence to carry a gun, unless it is concealed.

I do not need a liscence to fish on my own land.

I do not need a liscence to drive anything on my own land.

Aside from this being an absolutely MORONIC idea, it's nothing more than ANOTHER MONEY GRAB by our wonderful OVER LORDS.

The ideas coming from our elected officials just keep getting more over reaching and DUMBER by the day.

And yes people do abuse farm tags on vehicles. I know of several that do not farm but drive with farm tags. And haul trailers with 3 tractors on them to tractor shows and such.

Tim Strobel has been driving a tractor for 20 years, so he's a bit puzzled that federal officials are kicking around an idea that could ultimately force him - and anyone else operating farm machinery - to get a commercial driver's license.

Yes, the same kind of license that interstate truckers must have to operate their rigs.

"I am not against some training, but this is going a little bit overboard," said Strobel, a dairy farmer from Watertown.

The U.S. Department of Transportation has been collecting public comments on the notion, which the agency insists doesn't yet merit being called a "proposal."

But it's far enough along that the Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation, state Agriculture Secretary Ben Brancel, and a bipartisan group of 21 U.S. senators, among others, are speaking out against it.

Farm Bureau officials say Transportation Department proposals aimed at reclassifying agricultural machinery as commercial motor vehicles could lead to a requirement that farmers get a commercial license to move equipment on roads between fields and to their local grain mills.

It's "overreaching and unnecessary," said Karen Gefvert, Wisconsin Farm Bureau director of governmental relations.

The additional public safety gained from increased federal regulation is unclear at best, but the additional costs for farmers would come at a time when they could least afford them, Brancel said in a letter to federal officials.

In one scenario, farmers hauling grain to local elevators would be treated as if they were engaged in interstate commerce because grain, in many cases, eventually leaves the state.​

I don't know what's up about license and farm tractors, but I do have some info that needs to be brought up in this thread.

I live in NW Arkansas, and here if you put a farm tag on a semi you do not need a CDL. I don't know about you but I want the guy driving the semi behind or next to me on the highway to have a CDL, and be trained in it's operation. It just seems very dangerous to not require a CDL in this circumstance.

I do think it's a bit ridiculous to require them to have a CDL for a tractor. Usually if they have to get on the highway with a tractor they only go a short way to an adjacent piece of property.

Tim Strobel has been driving a tractor for 20 years, so he's a bit puzzled that federal officials are kicking around an idea that could ultimately force him - and anyone else operating farm machinery - to get a commercial driver's license.

Yes, the same kind of license that interstate truckers must have to operate their rigs.

"I am not against some training, but this is going a little bit overboard," said Strobel, a dairy farmer from Watertown.

The U.S. Department of Transportation has been collecting public comments on the notion, which the agency insists doesn't yet merit being called a "proposal."

But it's far enough along that the Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation, state Agriculture Secretary Ben Brancel, and a bipartisan group of 21 U.S. senators, among others, are speaking out against it.

Farm Bureau officials say Transportation Department proposals aimed at reclassifying agricultural machinery as commercial motor vehicles could lead to a requirement that farmers get a commercial license to move equipment on roads between fields and to their local grain mills.

It's "overreaching and unnecessary," said Karen Gefvert, Wisconsin Farm Bureau director of governmental relations.

The additional public safety gained from increased federal regulation is unclear at best, but the additional costs for farmers would come at a time when they could least afford them, Brancel said in a letter to federal officials.

In one scenario, farmers hauling grain to local elevators would be treated as if they were engaged in interstate commerce because grain, in many cases, eventually leaves the state.​

I don't know what's up about license and farm tractors, but I do have some info that needs to be brought up in this thread.

I live in NW Arkansas, and here if you put a farm tag on a semi you do not need a CDL. I don't know about you but I want the guy driving the semi behind or next to me on the highway to have a CDL, and be trained in it's operation. It just seems very dangerous to not require a CDL in this circumstance.

I do think it's a bit ridiculous to require them to have a CDL for a tractor. Usually if they have to get on the highway with a tractor they only go a short way to an adjacent piece of property.

That's something you have to take up with the state of Arkansas.

I'm sure that if that is true, it is intrastate only. The U.S. DOT requires a class A CDL with air brake endorsement as a minimum requirement for interstate trucking.

EDIT - Here you go.

A State may, at its discretion, exempt firefighters, emergency response vehicle drivers, farmers and drivers removing snow and ice in small communities from the CDL requirements, subject to certain conditions. The use of this waiver is limited to the driver's home State unless there is a reciprocity agreement with adjoining States.​

Last edited:

Tractor trailers use public roads, hence the requirement for a license.

The other comparisions are just silly.

Plus, why should this be a federal thing? if a state wants to require a CDL for farm equipment thats fine by me.

Why is it silly?

Why is it now accepted that a lawyer or a doctor needs a license?

I mean..I accept it..but why should people that hate the government be for licensing doctors and lawyers?

Or Pilots?
Lawyers and doctors are licensed by the States.

Do you have any statistics about farm vehicle accidents? Before I could agree for more nanny government, a compelling need for public safety must exist. Just because someone fears an outcome is not sufficient reason under any circumstances.

Plus, why should this be a federal thing? if a state wants to require a CDL for farm equipment thats fine by me.

Why is it silly?

Why is it now accepted that a lawyer or a doctor needs a license?

I mean..I accept it..but why should people that hate the government be for licensing doctors and lawyers?

Or Pilots?
Maybe the government should license IT guys, too.

I agree that anyone driving a semi needs a CDL.

central planning.

Control the food, control everything.

Old Henry Kissinger got to love that old bastard enough to wish him off the planet.:eusa_angel: He can't pass away fast enough for me.

Did you know that Tim Geithner is one of his babies? He worked for K associates in his infancy so to speak.

Last edited:
I totally agree that having to have a CDL to drive farm equipment is a bunch of B.S. What we need is to give farmers and truck drivers the right to pull over the stupid people who pull out in front of us ,cut us off . pass us when we are trying to turn , etc. I would love to be able to hand out tickets and for the dumbest ones pull them out of their car and beat the Hell out of them . Two or three times a week I walk into the barn and my wife will say "what happened you're white as a ghost " because some idiot just about killed me .
Thanks for letting me rant.

I had a farm plate on a truck in CT and wasnt allowed to go more than 25 miles from the farm, it was 20 years ago butt seemed like a fair deal to me at the time.

Maybe the government should license IT guys, too.

Don't think that hasn't been suggested.

Licensing is a scheme perpetrated by incompetent trolls in an industry to keep new entrants out. It keeps the supply of a given type of labor down and therefore artificially inflates the wages of the lucky few who are already in the trade.

That's why the ABA comes down on anyone who gives out legal advice like a ton of bricks. Just try setting up a business to help people with simple legal procedures like writing a will or suing someone and see what happens.

Forum List

Back