EV's at the tipping point

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Last year, 2022, EV's reached a tipping point, the point where they have become a force in the market. This year, as even more models are available from more manufacturers, we will see the market share of ICE vehicles rapidly shrink. In 2022, the Model Y was the fourth top selling vehicle in the world, and the Model 3 was the seventh best selling model in the world. In 2023, the Model Y will more than likely become the #1 selling model in the world.

EV's at the tipping point​

They said the same thing of LPs in the 1980s, then people eventually realized that CDs don't sound as good so LPs came back.

Same with EVs---
  • As more people buy them, more will find out how much more expensive they are to operate.
  • As time goes on, people will find out they are only good for 10 years then you needed to buy another and lose big or invest another $25,000 just to keep your old EV on the road.
  • As more people are left stranded in the winter, they will figure out they are no good for serious driving in harsh conditions.
  • As more townships try switching to EVs for commercial vehicles, they will realize they don't hold up to commercial needs and cost too much.
  • And as EV use goes up, electric grid failures, inadequacy and restrictions will show them unreliable.
Eventually after the charm wears off, people will demand ICE technology again that meets their needs, especially when all the EV cars in the world won't affect nor improve the climate one bit.

ANYONE wanna try take my old Jeep from me!!?!! EVs just don't have the same attachment propensity.

Greg

green-machine.jpg

~S~

The new trend in Santa Barbara/Montecito is dumping their Tesla S for the MB EQS

Yeah, virtue signaling multi millionaires are so indicative of the real world......

DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

An increase in EV sales isn't indicative of a general adaptation of the vehicles.

Most of those sales are first-time buyers, riding a wave of unprecedented advertising, and trendy virtue signalling.

If, after 3 to 5 years, those first time buyers replace their purchase with another EV, it will be a sign that the public is adopting the EV as a matter of actually acceptance of their limitations as well capabilities and not in response to hyped ad campaign.

However, once the true limitations of the EV, compared to the established ICE vehicles, are experienced, I doubt few will be buying an EV as a replacement for their first.

Goes to show you how many brain dead morons there really are............

Barnum said "Theres a sucker born every minute". Maybe back then, but nowadays "it's a sucker born every second"!!!

That being said, I have invested in an up and coming EV company. It will be about 2025 before they hit production for their truck, but their new type of batteries are temperature controlled, which is a HUGE game changer for having an EV in a severe hot or severe cold area. This company already has massive investments and about $500K in pre-orders on their batteries built for use in all sorts of mechanical systems. And their batteries do not need Lithium or Nickel.

They also have bio-batteries on the list for getting into analysis in the short term future.

Last edited:
EVs currently have less than 1% sales in my state. As well as the majority of states.
Shocking I know especially for people who don't live in CA.
Here is the deal - I really like driving my non EV car

20210618_171448.jpg

Plus, EVs really can't do what I do with either this car or my wife's 2022 Honda CR-V. Take long road trips with a 3 minute stop if my wife isn't with me or a 8 minute gas stop when she is [how many cases of water do we need to take for this 4,000 mile road trip?!]
Here is a good example: last year I got a call from my sister that if I wanted to see my mom before she died, I needed to drive faster. She and everyone that knows me knows that me not driving fast enough has never been an issue. I ended up driving 300 miles in around 3.5 hours with a 3 minute gas stop and saw the last moments of life from my mom. Normally I take that one way trip in slightly less than 4 hours, usually 3.75 hours. Then I have the return trip.
I couldn't have done that in an EV.
That 300 mile range in an EV will shrink to 170 when traveling at 90-95 MPH. 120 miles if it is really cold outside.
Plus, an EV isn't for people who like driving

Last year, 2022, EV's reached a tipping point, the point where they have become a force in the market. This year, as even more models are available from more manufacturers, we will see the market share of ICE vehicles rapidly shrink. In 2022, the Model Y was the fourth top selling vehicle in the world, and the Model 3 was the seventh best selling model in the world. In 2023, the Model Y will more than likely become the #1 selling model in the world.

I can hardly wait for people to experience them.

EVs currently have less than 1% sales in my state. As well as the majority of states.

View attachment 751837
Plus, EVs really can't do what I do with either this car or my wife's 2022 Honda CR-V. Take long road trips with a 3 minute stop if my wife isn't with me or a 8 minute gas stop when she is [how many cases of water do we need to take for this 4,000 mile road trip?!]
Here is a good example: last year I got a call from my sister that if I wanted to see my mom before she died, I needed to drive faster. She and everyone that knows me knows that me not driving fast enough has never been an issue. I ended up driving 300 miles in around 3.5 hours with a 3 minute gas stop and saw the last moments of life from my mom. Normally I take that one way trip in slightly less than 4 hours, usually 3.75 hours. Then I have the return trip.
That 300 mile range in an EV will shrink to 170 when traveling at 90-95 MPH. 120 miles if it is really cold outside.

Yup, EV'S are okay for local driving and virtue signaling.

Pretty much useless for anything else.

View attachment 751837

I like that car, is that a Mazda?

ANYONE wanna try take my old Jeep from me!!?!! EVs just don't have the same attachment propensity.

Worse, Greg. EV's are a non-starter in the race industry. Racing is about a lot more than just the stats. As someone who used to hop up cars and know many who souped and raced them even building pro bracket racers, I can tell you that a large part of automotive completion and THRILL is in the controlled detonation and explosion of internal combustion, containing all of that raw energy and sending it to the wheels in a loud, roaring moment not knowing if the top of the heads will be ripped off!

It is man vs, machine, designing and optimizing a thousand parts. Have two silent, battery-operated electric motors torque the cars to the finish line in a surge of invisible electric current JUST DOESN'T CUT IT.

Forum List

Back