EV's at the tipping point

At just over 1,100 , China has the greatest number of coal-fired power stations of any country or territory in the world. Making every one of those electric buses, trains, and taxis, a coal-powered vehicle.
And China also has the largest wind and solar generation of any nation. China produced 8,400 TWh of solar energy in 2022. The US was next with 4,108 TWh. In 2022, China produced 467 TWh of electricity by wind, the US produced about 342 TWh. China is in a race with rising expectations of their population, and the energy needs to continue that rise.

Last year, 2022, EV's reached a tipping point, the point where they have become a force in the market. This year, as even more models are available from more manufacturers, we will see the market share of ICE vehicles rapidly shrink. In 2022, the Model Y was the fourth top selling vehicle in the world, and the Model 3 was the seventh best selling model in the world. In 2023, the Model Y will more than likely become the #1 selling model in the world.

I'm still waiting for the U.S. post office to get rid of those 1985 pieces of shit they drive all across the U.S.
It's the federal government's favorite vehicle, obviously, ...and then they want to preach to the rest of us what to drive?

I might get an EV, but I'll always have a gas powered vehicle as well. People need reliability.

Not to mention transit agencies are finding out the extra cost of these shiny new 'lectric buses. They will NOT hold up to a full 8 hour run, let alone TWO in one day. They are only good for splits plus they SUCK in the cold.

Thing is, I'm just a retired EE and none of this is hardly surprising to me at all. So I'm wondering how all of this crap has gotten as far as it has even with politicians who know nothing at all! Even an idiot eventually gets a few thing right even if only by random chance, so I have to assume the people in Washington are making a deliberate action to stagger this colossal bullshit after and on top of Covid as a 1-2 punch to completely turn this nation on its head socially, politically and economically tied with some foreign globalistic-climatic plan for world domination hoping that in the melee, that people are too diverted by personal chaos in their own lives to notice the coup d'etat being made of their government in D.C.

Hard to exceed the dumbfuckery in that post.
You make it appear easy.

So even at the peak hour rate, it costs less than half the cost of an ICE.
Damn, you have enough bullshit to fill 50 cow pens. You have all the BS worked out to totally ignore both the all of the hidden and real costs and liabilities of going full EV. It's not enough to offer EV's as an OPTION for some, and perhaps many, but no, you have to try again to go for the full Monte and claim that ICE is obsolete and irrelevant and want to do away with it 100% totally for nothing but EV which is a largely unproven technology still in many applications as it really hasn't seen more than a 1% adoption into the true transportation industry for just a few years. THOU DOTH APPEAR TOO EAGER.

The scary part isn't your selling it though as really and able to TOTALLY take the place of all ICE needs, but your BELIEVING it.

EV will be lucky to see 25-30% adoption in the time they claim we will be 100:

https://media.istockphoto.com/vectors/fact-stamp-fact-square-grunge-sign-fact-vector-id1173358739?k=6&m=1173358739&s=170667a&w=0&h=gCbCcC5JDMF4qzxfHfnKvvFM6ldXS6mNDCDSl9eU0rg=

Worse, Greg. EV's are a non-starter in the race industry. Racing is about a lot more than just the stats. As someone who used to hop up cars and know many who souped and raced them even building pro bracket racers, I can tell you that a large part of automotive completion and THRILL is in the controlled detonation and explosion of internal combustion, containing all of that raw energy and sending it to the wheels in a loud, roaring moment not knowing if the top of the heads will be ripped off!

It is man vs, machine, designing and optimizing a thousand parts. Have two silent, battery-operated electric motors torque the cars to the finish line in a surge of invisible electric current JUST DOESN'T CUT IT.
Oooooooh; that sends a THRILL up my inside leg!!!!! Yep; electric would indeed be a letdown!!!

I love my car!!!
I love my car!!!
I love my car!!!
I love my car!!!

Greg

Last year, 2022, EV's reached a tipping point, the point where they have become a force in the market. This year, as even more models are available from more manufacturers, we will see the market share of ICE vehicles rapidly shrink. In 2022, the Model Y was the fourth top selling vehicle in the world, and the Model 3 was the seventh best selling model in the world. In 2023, the Model Y will more than likely become the #1 selling model in the world.

Comrades
Impractical fire hazards and dirt poor child slave labor will save us all

Comrades
Impractical fire hazards and dirt poor child slave labor will save us all

And dumbass ignorant flapyap will remain the standard for "Conservatives". A tank full of extremely flammable liquid is not a greater fire hazard than the present batteries? By fires per 100,000 vehicles, ICE cars have more than EV's. Most new batteries being developed today do not us either nickel or cobalt.

And dumbass ignorant flapyap will remain the standard for "Conservatives". A tank full of extremely flammable liquid is not a greater fire hazard than the present batteries? By fires per 100,000 vehicles, ICE cars have more than EV's. Most new batteries being developed today do not us either nickel or cobalt.

Those fires involve crashing in to something first.

Not just spontaneously combusting.

DURRRRRR

Those fires involve crashing in to something first.

Not just spontaneously combusting.

DURRRRRR

“The NTSB data said that after 41 fatal collisions involving BEVs, 1 caught on fire (2.44%). The NTSB data said that after 20,315 fatal collisions involving gasoline vehicles, 644 caught on fire (3.17%). The NTSB data said that after 543 fatal collisions involving gasoline hybrid vehicles, 12 caught on fire (2.21%),” Conway said.

“But 41 crashes vs 20,315 crashes vs 543 crashes make it statistically irresponsible to compare these numbers. For example, if there was a 42nd crash with an EV and it caught on fire then it would be 4.76% of EVs or double the rate of hybrids. Until the sample size is the same and significant we just can’t say which will be worse or not,” Conway said.

Richard Billyeald, chief technical officer at Britain’s Thatcham Research, said EVs generally appear less likely fire risks, but the data is limited.

“Our latest research indicates that the risk of a fire for all types of EV remains less likely than for ICE vehicles. It should be noted that the usable data only goes back five years and even now the number of EVs on the roads still represents a very small sample size. This is also reflected in the safety testing we conduct in the U.K. on behalf of Euro NCAP (European auto safety), where despite the robust impacts to the front and particularly the sides of the vehicle where the battery is most vulnerable, there have been no resultant thermal events,” Billyeald said.

“The NTSB data said that after 41 fatal collisions involving BEVs, 1 caught on fire (2.44%). The NTSB data said that after 20,315 fatal collisions involving gasoline vehicles, 644 caught on fire (3.17%). The NTSB data said that after 543 fatal collisions involving gasoline hybrid vehicles, 12 caught on fire (2.21%),” Conway said.

“But 41 crashes vs 20,315 crashes vs 543 crashes make it statistically irresponsible to compare these numbers. For example, if there was a 42nd crash with an EV and it caught on fire then it would be 4.76% of EVs or double the rate of hybrids. Until the sample size is the same and significant we just can’t say which will be worse or not,” Conway said.

Richard Billyeald, chief technical officer at Britain’s Thatcham Research, said EVs generally appear less likely fire risks, but the data is limited.

“Our latest research indicates that the risk of a fire for all types of EV remains less likely than for ICE vehicles. It should be noted that the usable data only goes back five years and even now the number of EVs on the roads still represents a very small sample size. This is also reflected in the safety testing we conduct in the U.K. on behalf of Euro NCAP (European auto safety), where despite the robust impacts to the front and particularly the sides of the vehicle where the battery is most vulnerable, there have been no resultant thermal events,” Billyeald said.

How many ICE vehicles spontaneously burst into flames?

At the end of June 2021, there were 39.2 million licensed vehicles in the UK but roughly 300,000 of these were EVs

That is a lie.

As more and more people buy the damn things they more they are realizing they made a mistake. Like my son with his Tesla.

They are only good for short commutes every day. L-I is terrible technology for vehicles.

Not in a few years.
All those new EVs become older EVs. The batteries become less and less effective and efficient.
So that 300 mile EV becomes a 200 mile EV.
Then comes the worse part... the batteries need replaced. At that point - it's value goes to damn near nothing. And just like that... environmentalist will be screaming about landfills full of toxic batteries.

Not in a few years.
All those new EVs become older EVs. The batteries become less and less effective and efficient.
So that 300 mile EV becomes a 200 mile EV.
Then comes the worse part... the batteries need replaced. At that point - it's value goes to damn near nothing. And just like that... environmentalist will be screaming about landfills full of toxic batteries.
So... you still own the first ICE vehicle you ever bought, right?

So... you still own the first ICE vehicle you ever bought, right?
Devastating article exposing the numerous flaws with EVs. Ouch! This indicates you’d have to be a fool to buy one.

First, They Lied About the Range​

People were not told that their touted ranges were frequently much less-than-advertised and could (and do) plummet by 50 percent or more in cold weather. Or – in the case of electric trucks – when used to do the things trucks are expected to do, such as pull a trailer. Instead they were only told – as in the case of Ford’s F-150 Lightning electric truck – that it could pull a 10,000 pound trailer. Which is true. Just not for long.

Or rather, far.

Left out was the relevant fact that if they attempted to actually pull a trailer, they’d be stopping for a lengthy recharge every 80 miles or so. (Detailed truth about this here.)

They were also told they could recharge at home – which is also true. As far as it goes.

But they were not told how very long that takes. Instead, they were led to believe they could get going again in only30-45 minutes or so. But that is only possible by visiting so-called “fast” chargers, which are not at home. And they were not told that using these “fast” chargers” regularly is hard on the battery and for that reason is likely to decrease the battery’s useful service life – an extremely relevant thing since not using the “fast” charger greatly time-limits one’s mobility. It takes at least several hours – at home – to instill even a partial charge in an electric car, using a 240V stove/dryer-type outlet that most homes do not have wired up in the garage – and so close enough to plug the EV into them – necessitating that the homeowner pay to have an electrician install the outlet where it is close enough.

Even if it is installed, it still takes 9-11 hours to fully recharge an EV at home – so as to avoid having to rely on the “fast” chargers that can damage/shorten the service life of the EV’s most expensive component – its battery.

Catch meet 22.

People were also told the cost of EVs would go down as more EVs were made – and “technology” improved. In fact, the cost of EVs has increased – hugely – because it costs more rather than less to make EVs, which require a huge quantity of hard-to-get and expensive to get materials such as lithium and cobalt.

Now it comes out that it doesn’t cost less to drive an EV, either. Remember that one? No more being gouged by the evil oil companies! Nearly free to drive an EV. Well, to riff on the trademark saying of Star Trek: Next Generation’sCaptain, Jean Luc Picard:

Make it not so.

First, They Lied About the Range . . . - EPautos - Libertarian Car Talk

Forum List

Back