Even the Ice Cream Truck is now Racist

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Please, for the love of god stop, the planet, I want to get off.

RZA came up with a new ice cream truck jingle because the old one was used in minstrel shows

"Turkey in the Straw" originated from a traditional British tune brought to the American colonies by Scots-Irish immigrants, according to scholar Theodore R. Johnson in his 2014 article for NPR.

The original song has no racial undertones. But the melody to the "Turkey in the Straw" was used by minstrel show performers in blackface and set to very racist lyrics -- and that is how it rose to prominence in the US, Johnson wrote. Ice cream parlors throughout the 1800's commonly played minstrel songs, which were eventually turned into ice cream truck jingles.
"While these associations of "Turkey in the Straw" are not the only part of its legacy, it is undeniable that this melody conjures memories of its racist iterations," Good Humor said in a statement.

It's amazing how hard people look for something to offend them. The RZA is an asshole, and I always liked his music.

The funny thing is that wasn't even the main Jingle in NYC, this was the main jingle

RZA came up with a new ice cream truck jingle because the old one was used in minstrel shows

"Turkey in the Straw" originated from a traditional British tune brought to the American colonies by Scots-Irish immigrants, according to scholar Theodore R. Johnson in his 2014 article for NPR.

The original song has no racial undertones. But the melody to the "Turkey in the Straw" was used by minstrel show performers in blackface and set to very racist lyrics -- and that is how it rose to prominence in the US, Johnson wrote. Ice cream parlors throughout the 1800's commonly played minstrel songs, which were eventually turned into ice cream truck jingles.
"While these associations of "Turkey in the Straw" are not the only part of its legacy, it is undeniable that this melody conjures memories of its racist iterations," Good Humor said in a statement.

It's amazing how hard people look for something to offend them. The RZA is an asshole, and I always liked his music.
Dreadful.

It is an ice cream truck jingle!!!! Just go along with it and move on.

When you have mental issues just because someone else realizes how racist some things are. ^^^^^ :lol:

I'm game ---how racist are old jingles?
As racist as their intent. What do you mean youre game? I didnt ask you a question.

"I'm game" is a colloquial expression used to indicate
a willingness to discuss the proposed issue or join the
proposed activity. An example would be someone in a group says "lets' go bowling" and someone else answers "I'm game..." You proposed an issue on this messageboard regarding an old tune which at one time was readapted to an offensive jingle. The old tune was likely readapted MANY times to various jingles

When you have mental issues just because someone else realizes how racist some things are. ^^^^^ :lol:
Racist?

If the historians hadn't drug out the past, most folks?

The only lyrics we ever knew as kids growing up?

Forum List

Back