Jingle Bells Racist!!! Will it Never End??

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
“Jingle Bells,” one of the most well-known Christmas carols in the world, is now being called racist.

A Boston University theater professor claims the Christmas carol has a “problematic history” because it was originally performed to make fun of African Americans.

“The legacy of ‘Jingle Bells’ is one where its blackface and racist origins have been subtly and systematically removed from its history,” Kyna Hamill, a BU theater historian, wrote in her “Theatre Survey” research paper on the story of “Jingle Bells.”

“Although ‘One Horse Open Sleigh,’ for most of its singers and listeners, may have eluded its racialized past and taken its place in the seemingly unproblematic romanticization of a normal ‘white’ Christmas, attention to the circumstances of its performance history enables reflection on its problematic role in the construction of blackness and whiteness in the United States,” she wrote.

Hamill started researching the history of the famous Christmas carol after a so-called “Jingle Bells War” – a dispute between two towns, Medford, Mass. and Savannah, Ga. – that claim to be the birthplace of the song written by James Pierpont.

“Its origins emerged from the economic needs of a perpetually unsuccessful man, the racial politics of antebellum Boston, the city’s climate, and the intertheatrical repertoire of commercial blackface performers moving between Boston and New York,” Hamill wrote.

The traces of blackface minstrel origins can be found in the music and lyrics, as well as the “elements of ‘male display,’ boasting, and the unbridled behavior of the male body onstage,” the author wrote.

The song’s lyrics, which Hamill adds “display no real originality,” and reference things like “Miss Fanny Bright” and “dashing through the snow” connect the song to blackface dandy, according to the research paper.

“Words such as ‘thro,’ ‘tho’t,’ and ‘upsot’ suggest a racialized performance that attempted to sound ‘southern’ to a northern audience,” Hamill wrote.

“As I mentioned in my article, the first documented performance of the song is in a blackface minstrel hall in Boston in 1857, the same year it was copyrighted,” Hamill told Fox News. “Much research has been done on the problematic history of this nineteenth-century entertainment.”

Hamill added that her research has been public for two years and has nothing to do with Christmas.

Jingle Bells was the first song ever broadcast from outer space in 1965, as reported by History.com.

The research paper was widely panned on social media with Twitter users calling it liberal overreach.

“Jingle Bells is racist, White Christmas is racist, Baby it’s Cold Outside is sexist. What the hell happend to the America I grew up in where people didn’t wake up every day trying to find something to be offended by?” one Twitter user wrote.
--------------------------------------------------------

Some day, the left is going to realize that they do themselves no service with this kind of nonsense. (Just remember, this guy is paid with your tax dollars)

“Jingle Bells,” one of the most well-known Christmas carols in the world, is now being called racist.

A Boston University theater professor claims the Christmas carol has a “problematic history” because it was originally performed to make fun of African Americans.

“The legacy of ‘Jingle Bells’ is one where its blackface and racist origins have been subtly and systematically removed from its history,” Kyna Hamill, a BU theater historian, wrote in her “Theatre Survey” research paper on the story of “Jingle Bells.”

“Although ‘One Horse Open Sleigh,’ for most of its singers and listeners, may have eluded its racialized past and taken its place in the seemingly unproblematic romanticization of a normal ‘white’ Christmas, attention to the circumstances of its performance history enables reflection on its problematic role in the construction of blackness and whiteness in the United States,” she wrote.

Hamill started researching the history of the famous Christmas carol after a so-called “Jingle Bells War” – a dispute between two towns, Medford, Mass. and Savannah, Ga. – that claim to be the birthplace of the song written by James Pierpont.

“Its origins emerged from the economic needs of a perpetually unsuccessful man, the racial politics of antebellum Boston, the city’s climate, and the intertheatrical repertoire of commercial blackface performers moving between Boston and New York,” Hamill wrote.

The traces of blackface minstrel origins can be found in the music and lyrics, as well as the “elements of ‘male display,’ boasting, and the unbridled behavior of the male body onstage,” the author wrote.

The song’s lyrics, which Hamill adds “display no real originality,” and reference things like “Miss Fanny Bright” and “dashing through the snow” connect the song to blackface dandy, according to the research paper.

“Words such as ‘thro,’ ‘tho’t,’ and ‘upsot’ suggest a racialized performance that attempted to sound ‘southern’ to a northern audience,” Hamill wrote.

“As I mentioned in my article, the first documented performance of the song is in a blackface minstrel hall in Boston in 1857, the same year it was copyrighted,” Hamill told Fox News. “Much research has been done on the problematic history of this nineteenth-century entertainment.”

Hamill added that her research has been public for two years and has nothing to do with Christmas.

Jingle Bells was the first song ever broadcast from outer space in 1965, as reported by History.com.

The research paper was widely panned on social media with Twitter users calling it liberal overreach.

“Jingle Bells is racist, White Christmas is racist, Baby it’s Cold Outside is sexist. What the hell happend to the America I grew up in where people didn’t wake up every day trying to find something to be offended by?” one Twitter user wrote.

Some day, the left is going to realize that they do themselves no service with this kind of nonsense. (Just remember, this guy is paid with your tax dollars)
I think this site is racist......all white background with black letters.

This is not surprising to me. White people have serious insecurities about being white and you can trace pretty much all their traditions to expressions of racism. Looks like the monkey that wrote the song was a confederate loser.

Last edited:
You know, this is one of those threads that I kinda like. Why? Because this is one of those subjects where I read the OP's post and links, but if I think they are a bit off, I go and do my own Google search to check for other viewpoints and perspectives.

Here is one example where someone took a small bit of history of the song and blew it up into a whole racist thing. Now, while I personally take a very dim view of racism and racists, I also take a dim view of those on the other side that make everything a racial issue.

Now, although the person who wrote it strongly supported the Confederacy, and he had a group that performed it in blackface, well..............that was just the way things were at the time.

But trying to say the lyrics are racist? Nothing in any of the other histories of the song that I could find said anything like that. The only racial element I could find was the blackface and his support for the Confederacy.

As far as the lyrics? It wasn't originally intended to be a Christmas song, it was originally wrote for Thanksgiving. And, at the time it was considered a bit racy because of the one horse open sleigh thing. People at the time thought it was racy because that was one of the few places a young couple could get some alone time. Kinda like going up to the parking spot to make out nowadays.

Nope, personally, I think the person that wrote the link in the OP was looking to find some racism to be butt hurt over.

Jeeze people.................try to get a bit of balance here.

That is really sad
The dumb Democrat bigots won't even take a break from hating for Christmas

Merry Christmas EVERYONE!!!

That is really sad
The dumb Democrat bigots won't even take a break from hating for Christmas

Merry Christmas EVERYONE!!!

Did you really think they would?

Everything is racist. If you squint just right, you can find racism anywhere.

Yeah, and the professor who wrote the OP's article is a prime example of that. Anyone can spin things to fit their own agenda if they work hard enough at it.

But, we also have to remember to recognize when there is actual racism like at white supremacy rallies.

Yeah, and the professor who wrote the OP's article is a prime example of that. Anyone can spin things to fit their own agenda if they work hard enough at it.

But, we also have to remember to recognize when there is actual racism like at white supremacy rallies.

How many actual white supremacists are there? If you remove all the paid agitators, who would be left?

You know, this is one of those threads that I kinda like. Why? Because this is one of those subjects where I read the OP's post and links, but if I think they are a bit off, I go and do my own Google search to check for other viewpoints and perspectives.

Here is one example where someone took a small bit of history of the song and blew it up into a whole racist thing. Now, while I personally take a very dim view of racism and racists, I also take a dim view of those on the other side that make everything a racial issue.

Now, although the person who wrote it strongly supported the Confederacy, and he had a group that performed it in blackface, well..............that was just the way things were at the time.

But trying to say the lyrics are racist? Nothing in any of the other histories of the song that I could find said anything like that. The only racial element I could find was the blackface and his support for the Confederacy.

As far as the lyrics? It wasn't originally intended to be a Christmas song, it was originally wrote for Thanksgiving. And, at the time it was considered a bit racy because of the one horse open sleigh thing. People at the time thought it was racy because that was one of the few places a young couple could get some alone time. Kinda like going up to the parking spot to make out nowadays.

Nope, personally, I think the person that wrote the link in the OP was looking to find some racism to be butt hurt over.

"Now, although the person who wrote it strongly supported the Confederacy, and he had a group that performed it in blackface, well..............that was just the way things were at the time"

This is where a lot of white people fall down. This is where that sense of loss creeps in due to the exposing of the roots of long cherished white traditions. No thats not just the way things were at the time. Someone made them that way, supported it, and worked to make it a way of life. This clown wasnt just some victim of the times. He actively made the decision to support racism and slavery. This is even more apparent when you understand he came from a family of abolitionists. This monkey joined the confederacy against his own father who joined the Union army.

My all time favorite was the ignorant black councilman who thought saying black hole was racist and demanded an apology!

How many actual white supremacists are there? If you remove all the paid agitators, who would be left?

I don't know how many there are exactly, but I can tell you that if you go up to Idaho, Montana or Wyoming, you will find a lot of white supremacist groups that aren't paid to act that way.

This is not surprising to me. White people have serious insecurities about being white and you can trace pretty much all their traditions to expressions of racism. Looks like the monkey that wrote the song was a confederate loser.
:blahblah::blowup::eusa_dance:

"Now, although the person who wrote it strongly supported the Confederacy, and he had a group that performed it in blackface, well..............that was just the way things were at the time"

This is where a lot of white people fall down. This is where that sense of loss creeps in due to the exposing of the roots of long cherished white traditions. No thats not just the way things were at the time. Someone made them that way, supported it, and worked to make it a way of life. This clown wasnt just some victim of the times. He actively made the decision to support racism and slavery. This is even more apparent when you understand he came from a family of abolitionists. This monkey joined the confederacy against his own father who joined the Union army.
Nonsense .... this is where black separatists lose their way.

Actually, it was because of slavery that white people thought "minstrel shows" were okay. And yeah, it was the attitude of the time.

As far as "exposing the roots of long cherished white traditions"? Well, you might want to bone up on the history of that song, because it was originally written for Thanksgiving, but people liked it so much that they adopted it for Christmas. And, originally it was a drinking song, and when people sang it, they would clink the ice in their drinks to the tune of the music.

And.................you may wish to look up the history of Christmas in this country. It's not a long cherished white tradition, because for a while, it was actually banned in this country.

The song is irrelevant. The times the song was written in is. So if you think no racism existed during this time, you make a thread to build a straw man trying to discredit any argument if racism because you are a racist and want to continue being one.

My all time favorite was the ignorant black councilman who thought saying black hole was racist and demanded an apology!

Gad. Some of these people are too fucking dumb for words.

If they're so fucking offended by everything they see and hear in this country, the answer is simple: Move.

Gad. Some of these people are too fucking dumb for words.

If they're so fucking offended by everything they see and hear in this country, the answer is simple: Move.

You dont have to be offended and no one has to move. Pointing out the song was written by a racist is education. From now on the song will be banned in my home.

Ho Ho Ho...what a complete crock of shit, all the way!

Just one example of why loony and lefty go so well together.

Forum List

Back