CDZ EV question

Yep, we have had diesel-electric trains for a long time. Diesel engine turns generators which power electric motors to turn the wheels.
Hybrid's.

Diesel and electric driven... We have cars like that also, but for some reason they aren't popular unless I've been out of the loop maybe.

Come on Elon Musk, you can get-r-done. Show us how it's done.

Last edited:
They're saying that it would rob to much power from the vehicle, therefore bringing it to a halt under the weight/drain of it all. A magneto system seems it would work if added to the wheels not powering the vehicle. Just need an on board charging system that works to energize the batteries in a switching system that would keep the vehicle always active in a loop.
Actually just one would work as long as it produced 120 volts. Hook a charger up to the battery and at 60 amps that would charge it easily.

Actually just one would work as long as it produced 120 volts. Hook a charger up to the battery and at 60 amps that would charge it easily.
Not sure what it would look like, but I bet it can be engineered and done. Thanks

Hybrid's.

Diesel and electric driven... We have cars like that also, but for some reason they aren't popular unless I've been out of the loop maybe.
I had a Highlander hybrid. MPG was not that great but acceleration was great. AC went out and, because it was a special unit, replacement cost exceeded car's worth. The repair infrastructure was not really adequate at that time.

Just remembered, that car had a B on the shift which would somehow slow the car on a down grade when your foot was off the accelerator. That setting would also 'super charge' the batteries while coasting. With a Hybrid, when your foot is off the accelerator the engine shuts off so compression braking is not possible so they substituted that system.

Last edited:
A while back gm had a hybrid that used the torque converter as the starter. The bell housing had the armature in it. I don't know how well it drove the vehicle.

I had a Highlander hybrid. MPG was not that great but acceleration was great. AC went out and, because it was a special unit, replacement cost exceeded car's worth. The repair infrastructure was not really adequate at that time.
Yep, if not to popular or not pushed hard enough by government or investor's, and the prices remain very high, then it usually ends up on the pile with every other unique engineering project we've seen over the year's past. Jay Leno likes to collect very unique engineered project's that fell into the history books way back when. He has some super neat rides with some unique technology even for the time periods they were in.

A while back gm had a hybrid that used the torque converter as the starter. The bell housing had the armature in it. I don't know how well it drove the vehicle.
Wow... Interesting... Surprised that these old project's aren't being given a once over again, and to maybe re-engineer if needed in order to bring such ideas back up to date.

Yep, if not to popular or not pushed hard enough by government or investor's, and the prices remain very high, then it usually ends up on the pile with every other unique engineering project we've seen over the year's past. Jay Leno likes to collect very unique engineered project's that fell into the history books way back when. He has some super neat rides with some unique technology even for the time periods they were in.
Yes, I saw an episode of Leno's Garage where he had a hybrid vehicle that was an antique. One of a kind. I think it was called the Owen Magnetic.

The whole ev thing is just another scam to bleed us dry, along with the charging stations that will have to be everywhere, when they could make self charging cars easily. Of course they still got a fortune to make off gas and oil!

Yes, I saw an episode of Leno's Garage where he had a hybrid vehicle that was an antique. One of a kind. I think it was called the Owen Magnetic.

Love watching Leno's garage... Thanks.. Haven't see this one yet.

Wow, that was outstanding... Unbelievable the technology back then, and then it's as if we are struggling to figure this stuff out today. lol

For those who thought maybe that I was talking about the vehicle somehow being able to power itself in a loop without the batteries, then you misunderstood me.. I am only talking about the system being set up to utilize the free rolling wheels to generate power to the second set of batteries. Then as the main system is depleted it can be switched over to the newly charged batteries. The loop created is in the charging of the batteries through switching.

Mike, why did they give up you reckon ? You would think that this would be a highly important question if the country is going to go to EVs eventually... An on board charging system one would think is the only answer to the dilemma.

They're saying that it would rob to much power from the vehicle, therefore bringing it to a halt under the weight/drain of it all. A magneto system seems it would work if added to the wheels not powering the vehicle. Just need an on board charging system that works to energize the batteries in a switching system that would keep the vehicle always active in a loop.
Have you ever ridden a bicycle with a magneto powered light? the resistance to spin that small generator is palpable.

Have you ever ridden a bicycle with a magneto powered light? the resistance to spin that small generator is palpable.
You really think that we are dealing with that kind of parallel in all of this, otherwise not coupled with other fail safes that are involved as well ???

Think about this, the vehicle isn't always pulling in power mode, so there is a large amount of coasting involved also. The charging system could take advantage of every opportunity it gets to charge without relying solely on the vehicle to be pulling in power mode when charging is finding opportunity along the trip in order to get the back up batteries charged up to their max, and then be ready for the switch over.

You really think that we are dealing with that kind of parallel in all of this, otherwise not coupled with other fail safes that are involved as well ???

Think about this, the vehicle isn't always pulling in power mode, so there is a large amount of coasting involved also. The charging system could take advantage of every opportunity it gets to charge without relying solely on the vehicle to be pulling in power mode when charging is finding opportunity along the trip in order to get the back up batteries charged up to their max, and then be ready for the switch over.
They already do. And it's not sufficient to keep the battery at 100%

Forum List

Back