Electric Mack trucks

1625616563433.png

Just remember to turn off your AC, heating, refrigerator, lights, etc,... so they can charge them.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:banana: :auiqs.jpg::smoke::auiqs.jpg::banana:

If they can perfect the technology, go for it. I just hope they aren't pushing this solely out of political benefit.

View attachment 509636

Just remember to turn off your AC, heating, refrigerator, lights, etc,... so they can charge them.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Spokane, WA has just experienced the longest record heat wave in its history. Avista power is bragging about the days that it has not had rolling black outs---that is without everyone charging their vehicles in a state that has hydro, wind, and solar generation. They are #1 in the country for hydro and #3 behind CA and TX in renewable. If they can't even keep up with their low population, how in hell is the rest of the country going to do it? Common sense just ain't too common any more.

They have been using electric motors for locomotives for decades. Strong and reliable.
And they carry the diesel to run the generators on board. Trains are diesel-electric unless they have a third rail which is in itself not the safest thing in the world.

Yes they do. Weight is not nearly the issue for trains as for over the road vehicles.

They have been using electric motors for locomotives for decades. Strong and reliable.
And they carry the diesel to run the generators on board. Trains are diesel-electric unless they have a third rail which is in itself not the safest thing in the world.

Yes they do. Weight is not nearly the issue for trains as for over the road vehicles.
My point was not the weight but the carbon footprint of the diesel that they burn to generate the electricity required to run the multiple engines.

My point was not the weight but the carbon footprint of the diesel that they burn to generate the electricity required to run the multiple engines.

Oh, my mistake. Yes, that is an issue. But I think it is outweighed by the tonnage they can move across country.

View attachment 509636

*****CHUCKLE*****

Spokane, WA has just experienced the longest record heat wave in its history. Avista power is bragging about the days that it has not had rolling black outs---that is without everyone charging their vehicles in a state that has hydro, wind, and solar generation. They are #1 in the country for hydro and #3 behind CA and TX in renewable. If they can't even keep up with their low population, how in hell is the rest of the country going to do it? Common sense just ain't too common any more.

Huh. Low population? While Spokane is a relatively small city..Avista covers a lot of territory In case you've not heard..there is a drought and Hydro is cut back to preserve water. Avista does not plan for heat events of this magnitude west of the Cascades--much like Texas and the cold snap. Some capacity is off-line for maintenance. WTF this actually has to do with electric vehicle eludes me...if everyone drove one..2065....the capacity would be there. We can build things, ya know?

Your last sentence is as true as always..perhaps you might reflect on how people disengage common sense when they become locked into a position, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Oh, my mistake. Yes, that is an issue. But I think it is outweighed by the tonnage they can move across country.
Yeah..there is no free lunch. Until we crack cold fusion..or learn to run a genny on gravity--there will be a cost..a carbon footprint or a hazardous waste issue.
Other than by water..rails are the best for mass transportation.

I have no complaint with that either for the same reason--freight trains are an absolute necessity, but it is only a matter of time before the green freaks go after them.

View attachment 509636

*****CHUCKLE*****

Chuckle yourself, dumb ass. I bet their parking garage has a large roof where solar can be installed. If fact, I be the city has a lot of roof space that can be made into solar farms. And Tesla and many others now have batteries for sale for storing that electricity.

I have no complaint with that either for the same reason--freight trains are an absolute necessity, but it is only a matter of time before the green freaks go after them.
The diesels on the freight trains can be replaced with batteries, if they can be brought up to the necessary energy density, or even hydrogen fuel cells.

The question as I understand it lies in their battery life. At least with large vehicles.
Both BYD and Tesla have already developed batteries that will last for a million miles. Battery life is no longer a problem. Battery cost is still a problem, however, one that will be solved by 2025 at the present rate of development.

View attachment 509636

*****CHUCKLE*****

Really, you have not been keeping up with developments in solar or wind, let alone grid scale storage. Cover less than 1% of agricultural land with solar, and you will generate more electricity than the whole nation needs. And get higher yield from the crop, and increase the efficiency of the solar panels.

View attachment 509636

*****CHUCKLE*****

Chuckle yourself, dumb ass. I bet their parking garage has a large roof where solar can be installed. If fact, I be the city has a lot of roof space that can be made into solar farms. And Tesla and many others now have batteries for sale for storing that electricity.

1625619791561.png

Yet you don't know that it has a large solar panel and the leaders of New York preach that people should turn off their necessities because of brownouts while Wall Street and Broadway are all lit up.

Great priorities you have their while people die of heat stroke or hypothermia.

Maybe Doc Brown could harness some one point twenty one gigawatts for them.

The following song should be riding the brown out...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:auiqs.jpg::banana::poke::smoke::poke::banana::auiqs.jpg:

What about battery waste? Landfills? Barrels of oil used to produce these machines? Lithium ion battery production is harmful to the environment, and only about 50% of their components can be reutilized which will ultimately end up in landfills, polluting our environment.
There is no magical solution. Everything has positives and negatives. Electric cars have a lot of negatives.

Huh. Low population?
WA state, at ~7M, in relation to CA, ~35M, and TX at ~28M was my point. WA is about 1/4 the population of TX and only about 20% of CA.
there is a drought and Hydro is cut back to preserve water.
You are correct, there is a drought, but there are other factors that have a hand in NW hydro. The Columbia R has downstream contracts that it has to fill re: water releases. Also, Grand Coulee's main purpose is not power generation, but irrigation. Lake Roosevelt is chock full right now even with water released over the spillway every night. The Snake and Columbia Rivers are navigable downstream as well.
Avista does not plan for heat events of this magnitude west of the Cascades
By Avistas own admission on the Spokane news over the past couple days--their capacity was insufficient to meet demand which was also my point. How are they going to charge all of those cars when they can't even meet current demand
.if everyone drove one..2065
There is a bill in the WA state legislature currently that is pushing the electric requirement to 2030, but even if it is 2065, the population increases during that 45 years along with the increase demand for vehicles will require vast increases in capacity and the greenies are trying to rip out four Snake R. dams. I am sure their will be advances in generation, but I believe the tech of today is woefully lacking and I don't think solar or wind is the answer.

Forum List

Back