Electric car charging tip for cold weather

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
The charging lead and the charging receptacle on the EV are finely machined co-parts. They fit together tightly to avoid any incident of arching or sparking. Because of this it takes an extremely small amount of contaminant either in the plug or the receptacle to stop the seating and therefore prevent any charging.

Especially in powdery snow conditions can this type of interference happen. The slightest amount of snow in either end will stop the seating of the charging lead.

I have found that I've had to go in the house and get the hair dryer in order to melt out the micro crystals of ice in both components in order to get a successful connection.

Obviously I couldn't do this unless I was home. So I picked up a cordless heat gun from harbor freight for about 40 bucks.

I highly recommend that you do the same if you own an EV in the event you may be stuck far from the house and need to charge in snowy conditions.

Jo

When and if the cost of hydrogen comes down that will be our new mode of transportation I'm guessing....

Or you could just:

1712256701761.jpeg

When and if the cost of hydrogen comes down that will be our new mode of transportation I'm guessing....

What lefty refuses to deal with is the concept of entropy....there is an unavoidable bottom line cost for each and every energy transaction that cannot be circumvented.

To liberate one mole of hydrogen from water requires 55 kwh on the average of input energy. Then it has to be stored and compressed requiring another 20 to 25 kwh to get to the one mole of finished product.Then it has to be transported somehow.

There simply is no way around this....and there never will be.

The end product can be combusted to 137,000 btus....reuniting it with the O2 that we just separated it from....

Now there are 3412.5 btus in one kwh...let's do the math...

55x3412 is 187,660 btus. You can see the problem here. You cannot use hydrogen driven machinery to liberate hydrogen because the process takes more than it gives. So what will we use to provide this energy? Solar perhaps?

Again the solar panels don't just grow on vines or spontaneously jump together into a hydrolysis production plant. You need energy to produce them. Where will that energy come from?

Welcome to the concept of ENTROPY.

What lefty refuses to deal with is the concept of entropy....there is an unavoidable bottom line cost for each and every energy transaction that cannot be circumvented.

To liberate one mole of hydrogen from water requires 55 kwh on the average of input energy. Then it has to be stored and compressed requiring another 20 to 25 kwh to get to the one mole of finished product.Then it has to be transported somehow.

There simply is no way around this....and there never will be.

The end product can be combusted to 137,000 btus....reuniting it with the O2 that we just separated it from....

Now there are 3412.5 btus in one kwh...let's do the math...

55x3412 is 187,660 btus. You can see the problem here. You cannot use hydrogen driven machinery to liberate hydrogen because the process takes more than it gives. So what will we use to provide this energy? Solar perhaps?

Again the solar panels don't just grow on vines or spontaneously jump together into a hydrolysis production plant. You need energy to produce them. Where will that energy come from?

Welcome to the concept of ENTROPY.
Interesting... there are videos of a stations with hydrogen... not sure how practical it is now but one day maybe...

Forum List

Back