EV Parameters, Collective Collection

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm trying to get a grip on the actual energy parameters of EV's.

BATTERY CAPACITY: The battery capacity of EV's is measured in kilowatt hours (kWh). They range from about 40 to 100kWh (the Hummer EV is an outlier at 212kWh).

CHARGERS: Chargers are rated at their charging rate; a 75kW charger can theoretically provide 75 kWh per hour.

EFFICIENCY: EV's are rated by the number of miles they can travel on a given amount of power. The range for Tesla's is roughly between 3 and 4 miles per kWh. The Tesla Model 3 - Long Range, has a battery capacity of 82kWh, which provides between 300 and 400 miles of travel, depending on conditions.

COST: Electricity is charged by the kWh. Typical residential rate might be 12c ($0.1200) per kWh, with typical monthly usage at 1000 kWh, producing a bill for $120.00. Residential rates vary by the time of day, so most EV owners time their charging for the least costly times, and I think most of the home charging units facilitate this little game.

HOME CHARGING: You see Level I charging (120V) and Level II charging (240V). Apparently, Level II yields better efficiency because the charging takes less time. The efficiency of home charging runs from about 83% to 94%. That is, in order to increase your EV charge from, say 25 kWh to 75 kWh, would actually consume roughly 55 kWh.

So putting this all together, let's say you have an EV and drive it 12,000 miles per year, and you do essentially all of your charging at home (you use this car to commute and do local errands). It goes 3.5 miles per kWh, so your year's travel has consumed 3,158 kWh of electricity. Since you are charging at 90% efficiency at home, you have actually used 3,510 kWh, for which you have paid $421 extra on your electric bill for the year. Driving a comparable ICE that averages 22.5mpg would have consumed 533 gallons of gas @ $3.25 = $1,733 for fuel, thus saving you about $1,300 in fuel cost for the year.

ELECTRIFY AMERICA Charging Rates: It appears that charging is priced by the minute, with Level I charging at one rate (typically $0.16) and Level II charging at twice that. The "pump" will tell you the rate of charging (kWh/minute) when you are charging.

TESLA SUPERCHARGERS charge about $0.50 per kWh (rather than by the minute?), so charging from 20kWh up to 70 kWh would be $25.00. Is that right?

Tesla has a different charging plug from everyone else, and their network is "smart." You just plug in, the charger recognizes you, and I think they charge your account automatically. I could be wrong. There is a rumor that Tesla is producing an adapter that would allow "everyone else" to utilize Tesla's superchargers, the network of which is superior to the others right now.

Can anybody verify or correct what I've shown above, and add some information from real-life charging?

Some manufacturers claim that their cars can charge faster than others (on the same chargers). How does this work?

Forum List

Back