“I Rented an Electric Car for a Four-Day Road Trip. I Spent More Time Charging It Than I Did Sleeping.”

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Now imagine 5 million electric cars in L.A. all needing charging.

“As a smug EV evangelist and self-proclaimed EV expert, I rolled my eyes. “They just didn’t plan well enough,” I thought to myself, not realizing I was merely hoisting myself on my own petard. A few weeks later, it was time to drive from DC to Watkins Glen in the Finger Lakes region of New York, this time in a BMW iX. And despite plenty of planning, I still spent almost as much time stationary, arguing with charging machinery, as I did actually pulling electrons into the car’s battery pack throughout the 600-mile journey.”

My son has driven his Tesla from North Atlanta down here to visit us in Central Florida (south of I-4). It takes him about 1.5-2 hrs EACH WAY to charge. In addition, it cost about as much for the charges as he would have spent in gas.

Of course Ole Potatohead is using our tax money to provide welfare to the EV owners by building more charging stations.

My son has driven his Tesla from North Atlanta down here to visit us in Central Florida (south of I-4). It takes him about 1.5-2 hrs EACH WAY to charge. In addition, it cost about as much for the charges as he would have spent in gas.

Of course Ole Potatohead is using our tax money to provide welfare to the EV owners by building more charging stations.

Where is the government building chargers?

The fundamental problem with every Green Energy "solution" is that the technology and infrastructure is nowhere near ready to deploy on a national level. It doesn't matter if it's EVs, Windmills or solar panels. They are OK for LOCAL usage only. If you are powering your house or farm, fine. If you are driving around town fine. Anything beyond that you got BIG problems.

A BMW will charge in just over 1.5 hours at 440V. Fast chargers which are all over the place charge up to 600V. Pulling up to someone's house and using their dryer plug is hardly the wisest wat to travel across country.
Yeah, enjoyed laughing at the EV owners sitting in 100 degree weather in their cars as I took 5 minutes under shade to fill my tank while driving around America this summer.

The fundamental problem with every Green Energy "solution" is that the technology and infrastructure is nowhere near ready to deploy on a national level. It doesn't matter if it's EVs, Windmills or solar panels. They are OK for LOCAL usage only. If you are powering your house or farm, fine. If you are driving around town fine. Anything beyond that you got BIG problems.
Which I believe is the motive. Mobile citizens pose a risk to the elite in control.

Yeah, enjoyed laughing at the EV owners sitting in 100 degree weather in their cars as I took 5 minutes under shade to fill my tank while driving around America this summer.

Why would you laugh at them? Do you laugh at everyone that makes choices other than yours?

"Hahaha, you fool, you bought Jif Peanut butter when obviously Skippy is better"

Are you really this petty? (no need to answer as the answer is obvious)

Should I laugh at the guy who bought a car that gets 20mpg when mine gets 40mpg because he has to stop twice as often as I do to refuel?

Now imagine 5 million electric cars in L.A. all needing charging.

“As a smug EV evangelist and self-proclaimed EV expert, I rolled my eyes. “They just didn’t plan well enough,” I thought to myself, not realizing I was merely hoisting myself on my own petard. A few weeks later, it was time to drive from DC to Watkins Glen in the Finger Lakes region of New York, this time in a BMW iX. And despite plenty of planning, I still spent almost as much time stationary, arguing with charging machinery, as I did actually pulling electrons into the car’s battery pack throughout the 600-mile journey.”

I dont believe you,,,

Correct and, unless we revamp our whole energy grid, 'green energy' (a misnomer in the first place) will never be viable. Even if one has a 'net meter' system, more solar panels will be needed to support EV charging without using at least some grid energy.

I must confess I bought my oldest grandson a Honda Hybrid CRV.... He is going into college and needs a dependable car with good gas mileage... the Honda CRV never has to be plugged in it uses a two motor system the E motor is inside the transmission... so it drives like a fully electric car... its weird not to hear it shift but it has 180 Hp and jets along pretty darn good... he is still figuring out gas mileage but thinks he is averaging about 45 miles to each gal used....

The thought of spending 1.5 hours refueling my car is not appealing to me.

It goes 280 miles. Most people after driving 4-5 hours will stop to eat. Most electric cars will also charge up to 80% in a fraction of a full charge. Once it gets to 80% the charging slows down. So in the time it takes even a regular person to eat their car could be charged for another 225 miles.

But then I fail to see the issue. If you don't want to buy one, don't. There are a lot of things I have no intention of buying but I dont feel a need to go around proclaiming it all the time.

1658173477800.jpeg

What about EVs in wintry weather in the northern states? Isn't that a problem if you're leaving home for any appreciable distance where you're going to need a recharge? And probably sooner than you would in the summertime plus take longer?

It goes 280 miles. Most people after driving 4-5 hours will stop to eat. Most electric cars will also charge up to 80% in a fraction of a full charge. Once it gets to 80% the charging slows down. So in the time it takes even a regular person to eat their car could be charged for another 225 miles.

But then I fail to see the issue. If you don't want to buy one, don't. There are a lot of things I have no intention of buying but I dont feel a need to go around proclaiming it all the time.
170 miles with AC or heat.
Oh boy. Every 2.5 hours stop and sit for 1.5 hours in sweltering heat or freezing cold while you wait to recharge.

Forum List

Back