"Drill baby drill"-- Cuba will-- 60 miles off Florida!!

SFW? Doesn't the US territorial water extend 45 miles from the Fla coast? (Halfway to Cuba) Cuba has every right to drill in it's waters. What is stupid is the trade embargo with Cuba that keeps American companies from profitting off the major oil finds there.

Why doesn't Fla(wasn't there a Bush as Gov. for a while?) open its waters for drilling? Or why doesn't the feds open up the federal waters off Fla and in the Eastern Gulf?

T. Boone Pickens needs to be listened to.
Doubt you drill happy folks know what he has to say.
We were warned in the mid 70s and had every oppurtunity to change then but all we heard was "drill, drill, drill" and they did.
Demand is the problem. As Bush, AN OIL MAN, correctly stated "we are a nation addicted to oil"
Drilling more here is like giving a crack addict more crack.
T. Boone Pickens. Look it up. Educate thyself.

We are still one of the world largest producers of crude oil. Unfortunantly we are the number one consumer of crude oil as well. It's all about "Cheap(easy to extract) Oil"

Hey... which is safer .. Drilling in 35,000 Feet of water or on dry land?
Here is an even easier question..
Which is easier drilling in 200 feet of water or 5,000 feet?
Known USA reserves: 6.5 Trillion barrels.
2.8 billion in 100 feet or less off Gulf coast
.3 billion in Virginia
10.0 billion in Alaska National Wildlife Reserve (ANWR) Alaska Oil Anwar
If oil is discovered, less than 2000 acres of the Coastal Plain would be affected.
500.0 billion in Bakken Formation
6,000.0 billion barrels of oil equivalent. America's total oil shale resources

6.513.1 Trillion BARRELS
U.S. HAS MASSIVE OIL

At 60 dollars / barrel.. we have $390 trillion energy independence and we let Cuba drill and tell Brazil we'll be their best customer!
How insane is that?
The best safety technology in the world drilling in less then 100 feet and dry land and
idiots let Cuba drill??? Where are the protests???

To squeeze 100 dollars of oil out of shale, how much does it cost? 200?

Do some research instead of becoming "awed" by fantastic headlines.

Been saying this for months.But the EPA is so far up our asses , says we cant drill because of the environment. So, if Cuba drills there and there is a spill I guess none will go to our shores. The EPA sucks and needs to be reformed bad. I am not saying it should be done away with but they need a huge CUT in their policies.

Perhaps you do not see they hypocrisy in your statement(s).
You are so afraid of Cuba fouling our shores and yet you curse th EPA who prevents oil companies from doing the same thing.
And yet, it is perfectly acceptable by many Americans to let companies move to Mexico and other third world countries because...........wait for it.........they have less EPA type regulations. So they can pollute their countries for American Corporate profits.
A viscious style you have their with money and profits.

Hey... which is safer .. Drilling in 35,000 Feet of water or on dry land?
Here is an even easier question..
Which is easier drilling in 200 feet of water or 5,000 feet?
Known USA reserves: 6.5 Trillion barrels.
2.8 billion in 100 feet or less off Gulf coast
.3 billion in Virginia
10.0 billion in Alaska National Wildlife Reserve (ANWR) Alaska Oil Anwar
If oil is discovered, less than 2000 acres of the Coastal Plain would be affected.
500.0 billion in Bakken Formation
6,000.0 billion barrels of oil equivalent. America's total oil shale resources

6.513.1 Trillion BARRELS
U.S. HAS MASSIVE OIL

At 60 dollars / barrel.. we have $390 trillion energy independence and we let Cuba drill and tell Brazil we'll be their best customer!
How insane is that?
The best safety technology in the world drilling in less then 100 feet and dry land and
idiots let Cuba drill??? Where are the protests???

To squeeze 100 dollars of oil out of shale, how much does it cost? 200?

Do some research instead of becoming "awed" by fantastic headlines.

Conoco-Philips had a plant in Utah that was extracting oil from shale that made it VERY affordable and worth the risk. They were prepared to take it to the next level with actual preproduction Because they could not get the government (the Obama Administration) to allow them to do larger tests, they shut the plant down. Exxon-Mobil has developed a method of steaming the oil out of the Canadian tar sands at a VERY COMPETITIVE price. Canada has allowed that project to go ahead and now the project has become more successful than originally thought. Additionally, several companies have developed a method of horizontal drilling that uses a very old method of fracturing that has opened up a number of older wells, long thought dry. Naturally, once again Barry and his minions have stood squarely in the way.

The ability to remove the oil is there. If you don't KNOW what you are talking about, why do you speak and make yourself look just even more ignorant? You forget, I KNOW about oil and exploration. I KNOW what is possible and what is not.

It is obvious to me that the only one who needs to do some research is YOU...

Trillions of barrels of oil and because we can't get at it we pay $4.00 a gallon for gas AND we have to suck up to the arabs... Talk about stupid. And what's even more ignorant is that there are those that literally BELIEVE that we don't have the capability...

Last edited:
T. Boone Pickens needs to be listened to.
Doubt you drill happy folks know what he has to say.
We were warned in the mid 70s and had every oppurtunity to change then but all we heard was "drill, drill, drill" and they did.
Demand is the problem. As Bush, AN OIL MAN, correctly stated "we are a nation addicted to oil"
Drilling more here is like giving a crack addict more crack.
T. Boone Pickens. Look it up. Educate thyself.

Do YOU know who T. Boone Pickens is and what he is saying? Do you know why he is saying it? He used to work for Philips Petroleum in Bartlesville, Oklahoma until he began speculating on oil. He then used the money he made to buy several small, independent oil companies (something the left denies even exists). He took chances and he hit it big.

T.Boone Pickens has changed his focus to NATURAL GAS. He has a controlling interest in a little company called Chesapeake. They have sunk so many holes in Oklahoma and Texas that we look like a collander. They have hit it BIG finding so much gas that now we have enough reserves to last 100 years or more. Experts believe that is only the tip of the iceberg.

Obviously, YOU have no idea what you are talking about. T. Boone Pickens has a stake in wanting to switch to natural gas. And that's fine. He gives millions of dollars to the football program at Oklahoma State and right now they are #4 on the polls. And I have no problem with someone trying to make money. A switch to natural gas would make T. Boone even more wealthy than he is now.

I thought you lefties HATED the 1%? Too bad that you have NO IDEA why someone is saying what they are saying...

Didn't the Republicans already use this canard about two years ago?

Seriously, they need to get new material. Simply recycling the same old bullshit is getting tiresome.

So you're arguing that Cuba isn't drilling 60 miles offshore?

Or are you just trying to ignore the discussion altogether so you don't have to address the ridiculous energy policy of the current administration?

Anybody notice those little block newspaper ads .... A malevolently evil threat accompanying another malevolent evil if ever there was one.

Yeah, um I usually skip over them.

Like cut-and-paste spam posted in message boards.

Cut and paste? The Government has to come up with the money to pay for the fuel assistance. The Government has to come up with the money for the unemployment checks, borrowing for both. Why, when you could just let the country use its own natural resources to work and create gainful, tax revenue creating employment on its way out of this economic mess? A prgamatic individual would, and then sort everything out after the economy was back on its feet. But then if you're more interested in pursuing your agenda than in seeing the economy heal, or have another nefarious motive in mind, you'd pursue some other course. Just like Joe Stalin did when he starved those millions of Ukrainians in the 1930's while the New York Times writer was winning his literary prize for extolling the virtues of the Stalinist Utopia burgeoning its way through the Ukraine. At least today we're not entirely dependent on what the NYT tells us.

American companies should drill there...we're the ones who have the technology that makes it safe.

"It is better to be thought a fool, then write :"
"To squeeze 100 dollars of oil out of shale, how much does it cost? 200?"
then prove it by NOT getting your FACTS straight!

Oh and by the way thanks to the INTERNET: as of 10/17/11:Barrel of Oil $99.64

DOE Office of Petroleum Reserves –
Strategic Unconventional Fuels Fact Sheet: U.S. Oil Shale Economics

What Sustained Oil Prices are Required for Oil Shale Projects to be Economic?

First of a kind mining and surface retorting plants may eventually be economic, providing a minimum 15% rate of return, at sustained average world oil
prices above $54.00 per barrel.

In-situ processes may be economic at sustained average world oil prices above $35 per barrel.
www.fe.doe.gov/programs/.../Oil_Shale_Economics_Fact_Sheet1.pdf

So once again hyperbole, ignorance seems to reign in the anti-drilling minions!

No matter how much the right wingers want to we have no control over what other countries do in their sovern territories.
Nor should we. If they cause a problem for us we take it up in the world court or some other legal diplomatic channels.

Last edited:
You idiots that are SO against "drill baby drill" in U.S.A. waters consider the below if you want Cuba with little or no experience and will enthusiastically control any oil spill of U.S.A. coast!

U.S. officials are trying to make sure the American coastline will be protected as Cuba begins drilling a deep water oil well later this year about 60 miles off the Florida Keys If Repsol's Cuba well, which is in slightly deeper water, experienced a blowout, the well could gush oil into the Straits of Florida, where it would be carried by the Gulfstream currents up the East Coast.

Neither of the two companies that developed capping capability has U.S. government permission to operate in Cuba.

U.S. Will Inspect Cuban Deep Water Oil Well - WSJ.com

Under the Obama administration you can drill US oil if you're a communist...

See how that works??

We just cant drill - but the communists can...

That's progressive liberalism for you...

I'd bomb their oil rigs as a "get the fuck away from us" message.

Obama loves communism so he wont do that.

Is Chavez's oil supply running low???

Drill US oil? Is the drill site in US waters?

Nope, its only 10 miles away tho..

I would certainly call this an act of aggression...

This is Castro and the Cuban communist regime taunting...

I would totally wipe out those oil rigs if I was the president

No matter how much the right wingers want to we have no control over what other countries do in their sovern territories.
Nor should we. If they cause a problem for us we take it up in the world court or some other legal diplomatic channels.

We should try to make a deal with them. If they insist on having their companies drill, than we might have oil all over our beaches in Florida, but they are a sovereign nation and it is their choice....

Drill US oil? Is the drill site in US waters?

Nope, its only 10 miles away tho..

I would certainly call this an act of aggression...

This is Castro and the Cuban communist regime taunting...

I would totally wipe out those oil rigs if I was the president

imho we would be worse off if you were president.

"We" yeah, maybe you...

"imho" the Presidents only job is to protect this nation as Commander and Chief.

I'd send a sub over there to destroy those platforms...

Hell, I would have never let them be constructed in the first place.

BTW, I would never want to be president anyhow...

Forum List

Back