Dr. Fauci Concedes the Coronavirus Mortality Rate May Be Much Closer to a Very Bad Flu

Like the computer models, initial estimates prove false.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, co-authored an article published Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine predicting the fatality rate for the coronavirus will turn out to be like that of a "severe seasonal influenza."

Dr. Fauci: Coronavirus death rate like very bad flu - WND
Well, since WND knows their audience won't actually read the scientific article, allow me to add something. You know, since the OP was so misleading (as one would expect).

What he wrote was that the clinical consequences may be closer to a severe seasonal flu or a flu pandemic than to SARS or to MERS, with death rates of 9% and 36%.

So, closer to 0.1% than to 9%. Which is a good thing.
Sure Fort Fun Indiana and it will get better as more people gain immunity and catch up to the double or triple infection rates around 5:2. The death rates aren't the worst problem but hospitalization rates at 15%. That's what is overwhelming hospital and funeral staff causing mass pileups in the thousands at each epicenter site. Now military may be trained for battle and watching fellow soldiers die by their side in the line of duty. But don't tell me we have trained nursing interns to confront that onslaught daily, risking their lives not knowing who has a fatal reaction or not even when "it's only 1 %". Because of thousands infected in a condensed place and time that means they will see those deaths instead of it being spread out. I'm sorry but we are not "numbers" in a statistical equation. People feel that stress, and connect spiritually to fellow medics feeling that across the globe. This has a bigger human impact on morale beyond what numbers show. It may not make sense mathematically. But even if one person out of a thousand shows love to one person in a million, that connection matters. And when that is broken it can have a shattering effect. We have a choice to care what our neighbor cares about, to listen and not judge over what the numbers show. If you dont like the hype and panic neither do I. But the medical demands are real. They will go back down faster by taking this seriously and helping the medical relief efforts no matter what Italy surges are compared with NY Louisiana or Texas. Human pain is the same. The escalations have caught everyone off guard, and everyone has underestimated it, from China to Trump, so we are equal in trying to make sense of this first exposure and get it down quickly so we can work on recovery after the waves of escalation are under control and not causing more panic. I'm with you on reducing that panic.

However, its cowardly to make guess based what you simply want to have happen which is pretty obvious what you are doing
Couldn't agree more. You need to look at FACTS and stop hoping for death because of your political beliefs.

Well, Death Angel, thank you for the advice about not wishing for death, I'm not but that's pretty ironic.

I've posted enough evidence that this virus is MUCH less lethal than the fearmongering hope it'll be, but maybe I need to start yet another thread devoted exclusively to these facts. Somehow, I know certain people just dont want to hear it. They WANT disaster

You have? You've posted evidence that we won't possibly reach 100k-200k deaths?

We reached 38,800 auto deaths in 2019...Should we ban cars too?

I'm sorry, your question is if we should legalize COVID19?

Is english your second language?

No. Your premise is just kind of lame. Why worry about Cancer when we have heart disease that kills so many more?

I'm making a point about why this pandemic is so much more to freak out over when those in the past were but a passing news story....Nothing on this scale for sure. Then you look at who was President during those, and this one, and it is clear.

However, its cowardly to make guess based what you simply want to have happen which is pretty obvious what you are doing
Couldn't agree more. You need to look at FACTS and stop hoping for death because of your political beliefs.

Well, Death Angel, thank you for the advice about not wishing for death, I'm not but that's pretty ironic.

I've posted enough evidence that this virus is MUCH less lethal than the fearmongering hope it'll be, but maybe I need to start yet another thread devoted exclusively to these facts. Somehow, I know certain people just dont want to hear it. They WANT disaster

But eliminating cars would destroy the economy!

Oh, wait! :eusa_think:

Of course to you the question somehow is rational and sane.

The virus is going to destroy the economy whether we act or not. Car accidents don't usually overrun hospitals over a long period of time while at the same time infecting healthcare workers and use up large quantities of PPE and other medical equipment.

Neither is this virus...

Yeah, we're only setting up temporary hospitals in central park to play Doctor.

Take your straw man somewhere else.

I'm making a point about why this pandemic is so much more to freak out over when those in the past were but a passing news story....Nothing on this scale for sure.
And which of those resulted in our hospitals being overwhelmed the way hospitals in New York are already starting to get?

Take your time.

No. Your premise is just kind of lame. Why worry about Cancer when we have heart disease that kills so many more?

I'm making a point about why this pandemic is so much more to freak out over when those in the past were but a passing news story....Nothing on this scale for sure. Then you look at who was President during those, and this one, and it is clear.

Yeah, maybe figure out why this is a big deal. It's not really difficult you just need to take your Trump weave off first.

I'm making a point about why this pandemic is so much more to freak out over when those in the past were but a passing news story....Nothing on this scale for sure.
And which of those resulted in our hospitals being overwhelmed the way hospitals in New York are already starting to get?

Take your time.

NY is a terrible situation...Let's hope they make it through...

The virus is going to destroy the economy whether we act or not. Car accidents don't usually overrun hospitals over a long period of time while at the same time infecting healthcare workers and use up large quantities of PPE and other medical equipment.

Neither is this virus...

What was the strawman?

Like the computer models, initial estimates prove false.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, co-authored an article published Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine predicting the fatality rate for the coronavirus will turn out to be like that of a "severe seasonal influenza."

Dr. Fauci: Coronavirus death rate like very bad flu - WND
Oh boy...this is terrible news for the severely LefTarded. They were holding high hopes for millions of deaths in exchange for Trump losing the election.

News?

Yep, you're right. That is what he said last Thursday. However, this virus is really fast moving, and now Fauci is going with some of the more grim predictions on how this will affect us. Matter of fact, that is part of the reason that we won't open up on Easter, but will have to wait until April 30th.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, projected millions of Americans will contract COVID-19 and between 100,000 and 200,000 people could succumb to it. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's worst-case-scenario earlier estimated at least 200,000 could die from the virus this year.

Public health officials reiterated the grim estimates Sunday as the Trump administration weighed whether to extend its 15-day guidance to slow the spread the virus. Trump has said he wants to lift recommendations that Americans work from home and avoid discretionary shopping, but also said he would consider input from health experts.

"Looking at what we're seeing now, I would say between 100,000 and 200,000" deaths, Fauci told CNN’s "State of the Union." "We're going to have millions of cases."

At midday Sunday, the U.S. had recorded about 125,000 coronavirus cases, according to Johns Hopkins University, though the true number is likely much higher. The university had tallied 2,201 deaths, with by far the highest share in New York City.

Yeah, maybe figure out why this is a big deal. It's not really difficult you just need to take your Trump weave off first.

Aw BS....I tell ya....If this happened under Obama, I'd be saying much the same....Jesus, get some help for that disorder will ya?

We are never going to win this with people like you constantly trying to undermine this President....

Neither is this virus...

What was the strawman?

"...we're only setting up temporary hospitals in central park to play Doctor."

Show me where I said that....

Aw BS....I tell ya....If this happened under Obama, I'd be saying much the same....Jesus, get some help for that disorder will ya?

We are never going to win this with people like you constantly trying to undermine this President....

Yeah, people listening to health professionals and scientists. If I'd just put that aside and listen to Trump not taking the virus seriously until just recently (and I'm still not sure he is) and then jump to a new set of conspiracies about stolen PPE or whatever the fuck he's talking about.

No

That's all you needed to post right there to my response...And how revealing it is...pathetic.
When you are done whining, please answer my question and tell us which of those pandemics starting overwhelming hospitals here 60 days after the first recorded case.

Or stfu. Your call, really.

Shove it up your ass Jerk.

Neither is this virus...

What was the strawman?

"...we're only setting up temporary hospitals in central park to play Doctor."

Show me where I said that....

You didn't say that, I did. I'm making fun of you. It's not difficult.

You said the virus wasn't overrunning hospitals. Well...

No

That's all you needed to post right there to my response...And how revealing it is...pathetic.
When you are done whining, please answer my question and tell us which of those pandemics starting overwhelming hospitals here 60 days after the first recorded case.

Or stfu. Your call, really.

Shove it up your ass Jerk.
Haha, that's what I thought. You said something stupid because of cultism, and you know it.

Yeah, people listening to health professionals and scientists. If I'd just put that aside and listen to Trump not taking the virus seriously until just recently (and I'm still not sure he is) and then jump to a new set of conspiracies about stolen PPE or whatever the fuck he's talking about.

Yeah, I thought that comment was a bit bizarre myself. Maybe the reason Trump said that the PPE was being stolen and sold on the black market is because that is what he'd be doing himself if he could.

Forum List

Back