Dow futures rip 700 points higher amid report Gilead drug showing effectiveness treating coronavirus

Perhaps Trump should discourage the use of Remdesivir at his next press conference. Then all the Democrats will want everyone to have access to it as soon as possible.

Right, of course that won't happen because this drug appears to have promise. Unlike the other drugs pushed by wingnuts.

You really are a disappointment.

Damn you're stupid. I guess you buried your head in the sand when the French study of more than a thousand patients and showed great results with Hydroxycloroquine and Zpac. I guess your masters instructed you to ignore it.

Perhaps Trump should discourage the use of Remdesivir at his next press conference. Then all the Democrats will want everyone to have access to it as soon as possible.

Right, of course that won't happen because this drug appears to have promise. Unlike the other drugs pushed by wingnuts.

Damn you're stupid. I guess you buried your head in the sand when the French study of more than a thousand patients and showed great results with Hydroxycloroquine and Zpac. I guess your masters instructed you to ignore it.

Calling HJ stupid is redundant.

The major tactic is isolating areas for 3 weeks.

The big problem is testing people to find out who the carriers are.

French study was small. Don't get me wrong study the hell out of those drugs and if they work that's great but there just isn't much evidence that h-cloroquine is all that effective right now and by no means is a replacement for social distancing.

Is it a problem? Sweden didn't close schools or their economy and have about the same number of deaths per million citizens as we do. What's that tell ya?

French study was small. Don't get me wrong study the hell out of those drugs and if they work that's great but there just isn't much evidence that h-cloroquine is all that effective right now and by no means is a replacement for social distancing.

More than 1000 people is not that small of a study,

Is it a problem? Sweden didn't close schools or their economy and have about the same number of deaths per million citizens as we do. What's that tell ya?

The fact is that the fatalities aren't that impressive as to to close an economy.
The issue is if one gets a fever for a week or two and doesn't develop the anti-bodies and keeps getting fevers.

The fact is that the fatalities aren't that impressive as to to close an economy.
The issue is if one gets a fever for a week or two and doesn't develop the anti-bodies and keeps getting fevers.

Simple fix, if you have a fever, stay home.

I hope this is true, but I'll believe it when it actually happens.

People have been talking about a vaccine coming "soon", but everything I hear is that it's going to be a while.

You just know that all the TDS morons are crying into their beer. This means the shutdown will soon be over, and the death count will be several orders of magnitude than anything the hysteria mongers have predicted:

U.S. stock futures surged on Thursday night after a report said a Gilead Sciences drug was showing effectiveness in treating the coronavirus. The move pointed to a jump for the stock market on Friday.
Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were up 700 points, or about 3%. S&P 500 futures gained 2.8% while Nasdaq 100 futures were up by 1.8%.
Gilead shares jumped by 14% in after-hours trading after STAT news reported that a Chicago hospital treating coronavirus patients with Remdesivir in a trial were recovering rapidly from severe symptoms. The publication cited a video it obtained where the trial results were discussed.
Why does your post focus on people crying into their beer because less people may die? You realize that just makes YOU sound like a moron right?
/——/ This scam was designed to kill the Trump economy. And you Progs will rub your hands and stomp your feet with glee when the first Covid-19 death happens when the lockdown ends.

FDA gives Gilead a seven year regulatory monopoly for remdesivir to treat COVID-19, on grounds it is an “Orphan” treating a rare disease

So what just happened?

There are patents on remdesivir held by Gilead. But under 28 USC 1498(a), the US can overcome the patent monopoly, and buy a generic. It can contract with the generic company to make and import to the US. There is already at least one generic company that we have talked to that is developing a generic version. But to sell a drug in the United States, you need FDA approval.

The FDA is not allowed to register an generic version for use for COVID-19 for 7 years under the action the FDA took today, because the U.S. government did not include an exception to the regulatory monopoly in the Orphan Drug Act. Congress can and should fix this. There should not be an exception proof monopoly for rare diseases.

Also, the FDA should be challenged for even declaring COVID-19 a rare disease, given the expectations of how many people are already infected and how many will be infected in a few days.

You're not very smart, are ya? Why would a company go to the expense of developing a treatment for a rare disease if other companies who didn't spend the money for R&D could take their work and undercut them?

Baloney...........this drug has been researched for a long time..........Nothing knew here. UAB and the University of Nebraska have been studying these drugs for a LONG TIME.........with FEDERAL GRANTS.

What you are seeing here........is Gilead being assholes in a pandemic..........The TAX PAYERS PAID FOR THE RESEARCH.

You are the one who needs to wake up.............I support Capitalism.........I support their ability to make money on what they did...........but this is CRONY CAPITALISM.....where the dang gov't is PICKING WINNERS and losers.....................

How about the give a CUT TO UAB and the UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA..........for studying this...........Oh that is right.........they don't pad the pockets of career politicians.

SCREW GILEAD.

You just know that all the TDS morons are crying into their beer. This means the shutdown will soon be over, and the death count will be several orders of magnitude than anything the hysteria mongers have predicted:

U.S. stock futures surged on Thursday night after a report said a Gilead Sciences drug was showing effectiveness in treating the coronavirus. The move pointed to a jump for the stock market on Friday.
Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were up 700 points, or about 3%. S&P 500 futures gained 2.8% while Nasdaq 100 futures were up by 1.8%.
Gilead shares jumped by 14% in after-hours trading after STAT news reported that a Chicago hospital treating coronavirus patients with Remdesivir in a trial were recovering rapidly from severe symptoms. The publication cited a video it obtained where the trial results were discussed.
Unlike you, actual Americans with 401k's are still fucked.​

Mine went down about 22%. Considering the circumstance, not the worst thing in the world. It does provide opportunities to me. Buy low--sell high I always say, and so do people who became wealthy in the market.

Right now, the market will bounce around for a while. But I plan on sending a check to the agency that handles my funds when I'm confident it's the right time.

Mine is down 13% ytd and up 4% one year. But here’s the thing about liberals....they all think, without exception, that today is forever. None of them grasp economics and they have been taught the stock market is a rigged game where rich people place money with no risk and it only goes straight up like an ATM machine.

Every time it moves down they chatter and cackle and swear it’s broken. They simply don’t have the ability to grasp it.

Now a government check they can grasp.
to be fair, every time it moves up trump supporters go SEE I TOLD YOU TRUMP GOOD!

it's a never ending cycle of stupid.

Impressive? We've lost over 30k people in a matter of months and thousands more that had to be hospitalized and not really sure what sort of long term harm was caused to them.

Hell, you probably don't consider Cancer to be 'impressive' either even though COVID has killed been competitive in how many people it's killed in comparison.

Impressive? We've lost over 30k people in a matter of months and thousands more that had to be hospitalized and not really sure what sort of long term harm was caused to them.

Hell, you probably don't consider Cancer to be 'impressive' either even though COVID has killed been competitive in how many people it's killed in comparison.
/-----/ The death number is being jacked up without confirmation of the cause of death. It's just a guess. None of this lockdown hysteria during Obozo's flu of 2009.

Unlike you, actual Americans with 401k's are still fucked.​

Only if you are near retirement and kept all your shares in high risk funds like stocks. The $$ I lost (over 95k) when the market was fully tanked is countered by two things.

1. My annual company match happened during the dive, so I got more shares for less $$
2. I am still getting a paycheck (although reduced to 36 hours a week instead of 40), so any contribution I make gets more shares for less $$.

If you are under say 55 drops like this only help you, as your contributions have more share value. And as you get older you should be moving more and more $$ to things like bonds and money markets, that gain less value, but rarely lose any value.

Forum List

Back