Donald Trump calls UN ‘just a club for people to get together, talk and have a good time’

He mistakes the UN for the golf club... lol :biggrin:
Joking aside the UN are not very useful. I mean they are "alive" since 1945 and their first purpose is (should be...to be honest) bringing peace everywhere.
But they totally failed! The United Nations should be reformed from the top to the bottom :)

I do love your posts Esthermoon.

You are far more informed and intellectually curious than half the people in the US.

Thank you Pete :bye1:
I don't think I'm so informed but I appreciate your kindness! :smiliehug:

Sounds like the Country Club might be losing some sponsorship funding.

Donald Trump calls UN 'just a club for people to get together, talk and have a good time'

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Days after the United Nations voted to condemn Israeli settlements in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, Donald Trump questioned its effectiveness Monday, saying it’s just a club for people to “have a good time.”

The president-elect wrote on Twitter that the UN has “such great potential,” but it has become “just a club for people to get together, talk and have a good time. So sad!”

On Friday, Trump warned, “As to the UN, things will be different after Jan. 20th,” referring to the day he takes office.
He mistakes the UN for the golf club... lol :biggrin:
Joking aside the UN are not very useful. I mean they are "alive" since 1945 and their first purpose is (should be...to be honest) bringing peace everywhere.
But they totally failed! The United Nations should be reformed from the top to the bottom :)
The UN has been a complete total failure.

All they ever do is condemn Israel.

It reminds me of Boehner's incessant repeals of ACA.

Trump is right. The UN has not been or lived up to why it was initially created in decades. They are a useless organization.

Case in point - what did the U.N. do in response to Russia militarily annexing Crimea? Not a damn thing.... USELESS.

Not true, the U.N. issued a non-binding resolution affirming Ukrainian territorial integrity; which is almost as harsh and effective as unfriending the Russians on Facebook.

"Now I hope that'll learn ya, you humpbacked muley!" -- Yosemite Sam

Russia, China, Israel, Iran, and the USA will always pretty much do whatever they want to do. The UN is not going to change anything.

Does Trump think he's going to run the UN, too? He's got some learnin' to do.

No, actually I think he is suggesting he is going to stop funding/supporting the UN. He thinks it cost too much and does too little. And he's not alone in that sentiment.

70 years and half a trillion dollars later: what has the UN achieved?

Tensions between western governments, which see the UN as bloated and inefficient, and developing countries, which regard it as undemocratic and dominated by the rich, have rippled across the organisation as ballooning costs drive the push for reform.

Why do you say that, Pete? Countries talking is a lot better than countries warring. Countries cooperating takes communication. UN gives communication a chance. It's a good idea.

Name one conflict prevented by the UN.

I'll wait.

Waiting-for-Nintendo.jpg
No one knows how many. We can't measure what's been prevented. That's a good thing to always keep in mind when it seems our words/efforts have been in vain. Sometimes they plant a seed that grows later, out of sight.

Trump is right. The UN has not been or lived up to why it was initially created in decades. They are a useless organization.

Case in point - what did the U.N. do in response to Russia militarily annexing Crimea? Not a damn thing.... USELESS.
Do I recall sanctions? Or was that a unilateral US action?

The issue isn't that the concept of UN doesn't have value, it certainly does, Canada and other Western democracies were its founding members. The problem is it hasn't had value for some time and it is dangerously off the mark in some case. I support a strong, vibrant, LIMITED United Nations, that is true to it's original objectives and moral direction. Now it is a politically driven bloated bureaucracy which doesn't share Western values.

How can I best make my point? Here is the current list of member countries in the UN Human Rights Council:

Current Membership of the HRC

Albania 2017
Algeria 2016
Bangladesh 2017
Belgium 2018
Bolivia (Plurinational State of) 2017
Botswana 2017
Burundi 2018
China 2016
Congo 2017
Côte d’Ivoire 2018
Cuba 2016
Ecuador 2018
El Salvador 2017
Ethiopia 2018
France 2016
Georgia 2018
Germany 2018
Ghana 2017
India 2017
Indonesia 2017
Kenya 2018
Kyrgyzstan 2018
Latvia 2017
Maldives 2016
Mexico 2016
Mongolia 2018
Morocco 2016
Namibia 2016
Netherlands 2017
Nigeria 2017
Panama 2018
Paraguay 2017
Philippines 2018
Portugal 2017
Qatar 2017
Republic of Korea 2018
Russian Federation 2016
Saudi Arabia 2016
Slovenia 2018
South Africa 2016
Switzerland 2018
The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia 2016
Togo 2018
United Arab Emirates 2018
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 2016
Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of)

Can you see just one or two of these countries you avoid visiting due to fears of human right abuses? I certainly can, yet, they are on the Human Right Commission. Not just unbelievable, immoral and destroying of the UN's credibility...

Do I recall sanctions? Or was that a unilateral US action?
Oh yes, now I remember...after which Putin begged for the UN's apology and immediately returned control of Crimea back over.

:p

USELESS.

(NO insult intended, OL.)

Forum List

Back