Zone1 Does the speaker impasse strengthen or weaken America ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I am all for politicians being preented from legislating but there has to be a limit to that.
This impasse,I dont see it as a crisis, has thrown up a potential flaw in a system that seems designed for a different type of people to the current incumbents.

The largest party should choose the speaker but with that privilege comes the responsibility of actually choosing one.

I would hve thought that McCarthy woud have stated his objectives clearly at the start of this process so that GOP reps could discuss this prior to a vote. The party could have held Some sort of primary to reach an agreement.

They have had 2 months to do this and should have hit the ground running.
Then there is the question of a small faction of the party holding the larger group to ransom. Gaetz and his group comprise less than 10 % of the elected mmbers.
Obviously McCarthy is offering them concessions to buy their support. However if he goes too far he risks losing the support of the majority of the party. If being a holdout gets you a better job then why toe the line ?

Should the GOP have a process whereby they agree to back the majority choicev before any vote ? Its not as if they have put forward an alternative to KEv. I suspect that person is already chosen and is sitting quietly watching events.

So coming back to the initiaal question, does this strengthen America or weaken it ?
On the whole I think that it is not a bad thing. The GOP doesnt seem to have a vision for America that cant wait a week or two. It gives voters a greater insight into the workings of govt and it highlights deficiencies that need to be addresed.
What say you ?

Turns out there's a downside to being a party of fascist trolls.

I am all for politicians being preented from legislating but there has to be a limit to that.
This impasse,I dont see it as a crisis, has thrown up a potential flaw in a system that seems designed for a different type of people to the current incumbents.

The largest party should choose the speaker but with that privilege comes the responsibility of actually choosing one.

I would hve thought that McCarthy woud have stated his objectives clearly at the start of this process so that GOP reps could discuss this prior to a vote. The party could have held Some sort of primary to reach an agreement.

Then there is the question of a small faction of the party holding the larger group to ransom. Gaetz and his group comprise less than 10 % of the elected mmbers.
Obviously McCarthy is offering them concessions to buy their support. However if he goes too far he risks losing the support of the majority of the party. If being a holdout gets you a better job then why toe the line ?

Should the GOP have a process whereby they agree to back the majority choicev before any vote ? Its not as if they have put forward an alternative to KEv. I suspect that person is already chosen and is sitting quietly watching events.

So coming back to the initiaal question, does this strengthen America or weaken it ?
On the whole I think that it is not a bad thing. The GOP doesnt seem to have a vision for America that cant wait a week or two. It gives voters a greater insight into the workings of govt and it highlights deficiencies that need to be addresed.
What say you ?
Neither strengthens, nor weakens it, just another example of the problems with the Republican Party as it tries to extricate itself for the Trump takeover, which was never about better governance under our system and constitution, but about rule by personality and minority players for narcissistic self aggrandizement.

Neither strengthens, nor weakens it, just another example of the problems with the Republican Party as it tries to extricate itself for the Trump takeover, which was never about better governance under our system and constitution, but about rule by personality and minority players for narcissistic self aggrandizement.
Yeah....STFU and fall in line, peasant!....It's my turn!

problems with the Republican Party as it tries to extricate itself for the Trump takeover, which was never about better governance under our system and constitution
Since well before the LOTUS from my observation. It has been the obstructionist/deconstructionist party with no vision of better governance for decades.

What say you ?

The higher the expectations and requirements for politicians the better for their citizens. He won't even be elected by the people, so it's even more vital that the political parties those internally who do the work on behalf of their constituents.

Rubber stamping politician isn't healthy for a democracy.

Oh. As to the OP's question, I think it will indirectly strengthen the US as the electorate turns away from the clown show.

They are demonstrating what is to come with even routine legislation being held hostage.

Like any legislation passed by a Republican House will ever make it past a Dem controlled Senate, at least in the form said Republican controlled House originally passed it.

Congress gave up it's powers to the Deep State decades ago anyway.

I'd rather see no government than one controlled by the liberal elite.

Yeah....STFU and fall in line, peasant!....It's my turn!
In this case, it is 20 trumpian, election denier holdouts, saying it is their turn to run the House of Representatives or at least the Republican caucus, though they represent a very small minority. Problem being, just because you lose a presidential election, and the Senate in a mid-term while the rest of the normal party gains a very narrow margin in the House of Representatives, does not mean you get "a turn" at leadership or get to control. America and the Republican Party is not ready for minority rule, especially when even Republicans won't accept it.

Like any legislation passed by a Republican House will ever make it past a Dem controlled Senate, at least in the form said Republican controlled House originally passed it.

Congress gave up it's powers to the Deep State decades ago anyway.
Any power congress has given up was done for the sake of the republican "unitary executive" philosophy that is still in force.

Forum List

Back