Does Stand Your Ground apply to everybody?

The latent racism is evident in the post even if the poster doesn't realize it. The assumption is that black people do not care about protecting their homes and families. The notion is absurd but it ties in with the liberal racist philosophy.

Yes, it is but closing threads doesn't make the issue go away. This portends to legalizing murder, no matter how unpleasant that is to your sensibilities.

The talking points have been heard by both sides and so now closing the thread makes no difference at all.
Defending yourself or family is not murder in any state. I'd be willing to go out on a limb here and say it isn't in Canada either.

It allows you to legally use deadly force to defend yourself if you feel your life is in danger.
It's not just a gun law.
If you REASONABLY feel your life is in danger. That's a lot higher bar than YOU feeling your life in in danger. You have to be able to justify that fear to a prosecutor or jury at need.

Stand your Ground depends on you feeling threatened.and defending yourself

By definition, black people are threatening
It would be hard to convince a jury that a black man felt threatened by a white
Depends; if the Black man was five foot six and his assailant was someone like Hulk Hogan or Andre the Giant, it would be an easy thing to prove.

OK

Your turn
Can you show a successful Stand your Ground defense where a black person stood their ground against a white?
This is an excerpt from an article in the Christian Science Monitor: "...In the 11 cases that involved whites killing blacks or blacks killing whites, no discrepancy in conviction rates was apparent – four of five blacks who shot and killed a white person escaped punishment while five of six whites who killed a black person escaped punishment...."

In Stand Your Ground states, these homicides were ruled justified in 45% of cases involving a white shooter and Black victim, but just 11% of cases involving a Black shooter and white victim.57

Read the article, well down into it, the author, who sounds very biased to me, says of the eleven cases where all things were equal, four blacks were successfully defended by SYG defenses, and five whites were. In the other cases the blacks were armed criminals committing crimes.

Last edited:
Does it? My neice says "No", because the STAND YOUR GROUND law doesn't apply to Black men. She says Black men are not allowed to protect themselves the same way Whites are.
What do you gun lovers here think? Is STAND YOUR GROUND an equal opportunity law?

Stand your ground applies in states that have those laws I suppose. Virginia's laws are pretty nuanced, but ultimately it comes down to what the jury thinks they would do in that situation.
I think its new jersey where you have an obligation to retreat,,
if someone kicks in your front door and you can you are required to go out the back door or any other avenue to get away from the assailant,,

if someone kicks in your front door and you can you are required to go out the back door or any other avenue to get away from the assailant,,
California used to have the same requirement. You could do nothing to an intruder as long as you were capable of retreating. But even the democrats running the state realized how utterly stupid that was and changed the law.

California used to have the same requirement. You could do nothing to an intruder as long as you were capable of retreating. But even the democrats running the state realized how utterly stupid that was and changed the law.
Why is that stupid? If I can get away, that would be my first choice. Only if it appears I cannot would I stand my ground.

Liberal A-holes think they are convincing their diminishing plantation constituents with the B.S. that only redneck white folks care about and/or need to worry about their lives and property and that black folks need not worry because the democrat party cares about them.

IDIOT, a gun is what most people would use isn't it? (Sorry, I couldn't resist. I usually don't call people names)

"When posters start using profanity and calling names, that means they have lost the debate already."

Guess who I quoted.

Liberal A-holes think they are convincing their diminishing plantation constituents with the B.S. that only redneck white folks care about and/or need to worry about their lives and property and that black folks need not worry because the democrat party cares about them.

That's a pretty poor assessment right there. Like you're not even trying to understand people.

Common sense
You are safer NOT to engage in a shootout

Stand your ground says you just have to feel threatened, whether you are or not

Common sense
You are safer NOT to engage in a shootout

Stand your ground says you just have to feel threatened, whether you are or not
But if you kill him, a judge or jury will determine whether your feeling threatened was reasonable and justified your actions.

For example, a few months ago a guy rang the doorbell at 11 pm and told me he had a food delivery. (I looked through the peephole and spoke through the closed door - I did NOT open it.) He argued with me, and I just said he’s mistaken and walked away.

He kept banging on the door, which has a strong padlock. I ignored him, and after a few minutes he left.

NOW….I would have had no right to OPEN the door and blow his brains out. I was not threatened as long as I remained in my house and he remained outside. If however he broke a window and crawled in, THEN I would have been justified in defending myself with a gun.

Forum List

Back