Does anyone else have an electric bicycle?

I just took my first long ride on my Himiway fat-tire cruiser. I went about 17 miles at an average speed of 13mph.

This was a shakedown run, intended to see how it deals with pretty nasty hills as well as regular riding on a paved bike lane. The bike performed above my expectations.

I alternated between power assist zero and one, providing at least half the motive force myself. On the steeper uphills I took it down to second and third gears, and I must admit that I resorted to the right throttle to finish off the worst hills.

I had the tires inflated to 20psi, and I think that's too low for pavement. I have pumped them up to 30 for my next run.

My old WalMart bike rack utilizes two rods to hold the bikes, and I don't think that will work for the Himi. I'm happy to report that I took a Harbor Freight cargo carrier and modified it with a motorcycle chock (also Harbor Freight), and with a couple of tie-downs it works great, with zero out-of-pocket. Job done.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 48
Checking back for anyone paying attention. I can't express how happy I am with this bike. I've increased the tire pressure to 30psi for pavement, and locked out the front fork suspension, and it is great.

In my hilly area of Western Pennsylvania I have always had to take into consideration the nasty hills I would encounter on my rides, and it is a pleasure to not even have to consider that factor; I can go wherever I want. And the workout is exactly what I want it to be. I can either let the bike do all the work or just supplement my own efforts with the motor. So far, all of my rides have been fun, yet I'm exhausted by the time I finish.

One thing I haven't done yet is a rails-to-trails (perfectly flat), long distance run. The only limit I see is that I am about exhausted after two hours or so. We'll see.

I'd really like to know the degree of difficulty when strictly pedaling (no pedal assist) when compared to a conventional bike of a similar size.

I'd really like to know the degree of difficulty when strictly pedaling (no pedal assist) when compared to a conventional bike of a similar size.
On flat terrain, there isn't a tremendously noticeable difference. You feel the extra weight of the bicycle in its handling, but that isn't entirely undesirable. For instance, it is more stable in windy conditions. If it just a question of a cruise for exercise, I still take my modified hybrid Marin with the Nexus 8 hub and double chainwheel. The electric is great for shopping and carrying loads. Poking around without worrying about getting tired is fun on the electric. Ultimately, I find that I do about the same output but go more km on the electric when its for other than "business".

On flat terrain, there isn't a tremendously noticeable difference. You feel the extra weight of the bicycle in its handling, but that isn't entirely undesirable. For instance, it is more stable in windy conditions. If it just a question of a cruise for exercise, I still take my modified hybrid Marin with the Nexus 8 hub and double chainwheel. The electric is great for shopping and carrying loads. Poking around without worrying about getting tired is fun on the electric. Ultimately, I find that I do about the same output but go more km on the electric when its for other than "business".

Yea, that's kind of what I was thinking, thanks for your reply. I have three road bikes (two Cervelo's and a 20 year old Mercier with Campagnolo groupset), and I'm afraid I might see those collect too much dust. I also have an entry level Trek MTB from around 1992 that still runs great (in 1992, Trek still made all their bikes in Wisconsin, where mine was made, even the wheels were made there) and I am going to officially retire that one for a Rad Rover, I think. I'll still ride my road bikes, I hope.

Yea, that's kind of what I was thinking, thanks for your reply. I have three road bikes (two Cervelo's and a 20 year old Mercier with Campagnolo groupset), and I'm afraid I might see those collect too much dust. I also have an entry level Trek MTB from around 1992 that still runs great (in 1992, Trek still made all their bikes in Wisconsin, where mine was made, even the wheels were made there) and I am going to officially retire that one for a Rad Rover, I think. I'll still ride my road bikes, I hope.
Buy a kit and convert the Trek: it's fun and effective!

Buy a kit and convert the Trek: it's fun and effective!

The old girl is too old. It's time to find her a new home.

Been looking at kits on Amazon for a while now.

About $350 for a complete 1000watt kit (without battery)

I have a nice 29" mountain bike I want to put it on. I can still pedal all I want. But if a T-storm creeps up I can hump it to cover quickly.

A Fat bike would be my first choice but I already have the MTB

Does anyone know a brand of e-bike that can really go the distance? I read reviews all the time, and my biggest issue with the bike reviews is that I can't find any reviews over long-term use. I'm sure such a review exists out there somewhere, can someone please direct me?
For the most part, the reviews I read go like this: "Hey, here's this bike I just got it's brand new and rides great."
Or... "Hey, I've been riding this for a whole week and I love it".... Or even the occasional.... "I've had this thing for a few months, I've ridden it on Saturdays and it's awesome."
While these reviews do sometimes give useful information, I'm looking for a review of how the bikes (and their motors and electrical components) hold up after serious long-term use. Thanks.

Does anyone know a brand of e-bike that can really go the distance? I read reviews all the time, and my biggest issue with the bike reviews is that I can't find any reviews over long-term use. I'm sure such a review exists out there somewhere, can someone please direct me?
For the most part, the reviews I read go like this: "Hey, here's this bike I just got it's brand new and rides great."
Or... "Hey, I've been riding this for a whole week and I love it".... Or even the occasional.... "I've had this thing for a few months, I've ridden it on Saturdays and it's awesome."
While these reviews do sometimes give useful information, I'm looking for a review of how the bikes (and their motors and electrical components) hold up after serious long-term use. Thanks.
The bike I put together for myself has about four thousand kilometers or so on it. It has had no problems related to the motor or electronics. Considering it is a very basic, inexpensive kit, you could consider it a minimum for consideration. The battery does not have the range it did originally, but doesn't seem to be deteriorating rapidly. It occasionally blows fuses because I can't find the right size in 30 amps and run 20s, but even those hold up for months sometimes.
Geared hub motors may wear their cogs from what I've read, but direct drives like mine are very reliable. Mid drives are another story.

There are so many choices out there that it is hard to narrow it down to a particular model, to say nothing of these bikes availability right now, which, due to increased demand and the pandemic has made most I'm looking at sitting on backorder. Do your research online (YouTube is a great place to start) and after you have researched, go out and start visiting bike shops and speaking with the mechanics who work on these bikes, and you'll start to get answers to your questions.

Talked with Specialized and Trek dealers this last weekend and it was made clear to me that, if it ain’t in stock, you may well be looking at 2022. The lesson to me is to take damn good care of what you have!!

Two comments:

Riding without electric assist: I have the Himiway fat-tire cruiser. It weighs 75 pounds. With me and my stuff aboard, that means almost 300 pounds of rolling weight. At the factory-recommended 20psi in the tires, and with the front forks damping freely, it is VERY DIFFICULT going on anything other than a dead-flat roadway (or of course downhill). Under those conditions, riding a mile on flat pavement would be something of a workout.

If one is riding almost exclusively on pavement (like me), it makes sense to lock out the front fork and increase the tire pressure to 30psi. But it STILL requires at least twice as much effort to ride as it would for a conventional MTB. Significant hills are out of the question without power assist, because of the weight of the bike and the rolling resistance of those 4" tires.

When I start a ride, I usually go half a mile or so on flat pavement at ZERO assist, just to get warmed up, then, depending on the elevation changes I'm seeing, I will use the assist.

Range under "normal" conditions: I live in a very hilly part of the state. There are basically no flat roads unless you seek them out (my residential street is dead flat, and a quarter mile long). I usually ride at a Level 1 power assist. At this level, the bike "wants" you to travel around 10-12mph; when going faster for whatever reason you won't feel any assist from the motor.

But at Level 1, I can handle any hills that I encounter, simply by gearing down to second or third gear. I have not come across a single hill that required more than Level 1, provided I am in the appropriate gear, and I am pedaling with normal "vigor."

What does this have to do with range? I have ridden rides of 13-20 miles (up to 90 minutes), and not used a single "bar" on the screen. I finish my ride and I'm still showing five bars.

When I read about others running low on power after 25 miles, I conclude that they must be relying almost exclusively on the electric motor for propulsion. There's nothing wrong with that, but your level of exercise is minimal if that's what you are doing.

I recently discovered these, even though they have been around for years apparently. I live in an area with a lot of hills, so i have stayed away from bikes because, who wants to walk their bike up every hill? Im 47 and not interested in blowing out my legs, or even conditioning them to a point to where i can pedal like a tour de france rider. Fuck that.

Electric bikes fix that issue. You can pedal as much or as little as you want. The bike i bought is a Rad Rover 5. It not only has pedal assist, it also has a throttle so you dont ever have to pedal if you dont want to. On just throttle alone, this bike will do 20+ miles on a single charge, or 45+ if you assist with pedaling. It'll do between 20-25 mph on throttle alone, and even faster if you assist by pedaling.

Pedal assist is the shit! On its max setting (pedal assist 5) the bike puts out something like 5 times the amount of energy that you put in, so its like you have the pedaling strength of Captain America. You can casually pedal up steep hills without breaking a sweat (or just use throttle alone if youre super lazy).

Class 2 E-bikes are allowed (legally) anywhere bicycles are allowed, including sidewalks. You can take these electric fat tire bikes offroad too. Check out this short video. These things are friggin quick!

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

Electric bikes for the adults in Florida has become a big big thing---we are even seeing electric 3 wheel bikes now. Why pedal when you can just cruise and still act like you getting exercise? On top of this, we are seeing locals get the bikes instead of cars---and attaching pull along wagons. Cheaper than cars--just avoid the rain showers.

With an e-bike, you have to buy local! Every single manufacturer has problems with e-bikes. Best have a shop you can easily take the bike into. Sometimes it worth spending that extra dollars.

With an e-bike, you have to buy local! Every single manufacturer has problems with e-bikes. Best have a shop you can easily take the bike into. Sometimes it worth spending that extra dollars.
Certainly, if you aren't into being a bicycle handyman, buying from a reliable local shop is worth a few more dollars.

I recently discovered these, even though they have been around for years apparently. I live in an area with a lot of hills, so i have stayed away from bikes because, who wants to walk their bike up every hill? Im 47 and not interested in blowing out my legs, or even conditioning them to a point to where i can pedal like a tour de france rider. Fuck that.

Electric bikes fix that issue. You can pedal as much or as little as you want. The bike i bought is a Rad Rover 5. It not only has pedal assist, it also has a throttle so you dont ever have to pedal if you dont want to. On just throttle alone, this bike will do 20+ miles on a single charge, or 45+ if you assist with pedaling. It'll do between 20-25 mph on throttle alone, and even faster if you assist by pedaling.

Pedal assist is the shit! On its max setting (pedal assist 5) the bike puts out something like 5 times the amount of energy that you put in, so its like you have the pedaling strength of Captain America. You can casually pedal up steep hills without breaking a sweat (or just use throttle alone if youre super lazy).

Class 2 E-bikes are allowed (legally) anywhere bicycles are allowed, including sidewalks. You can take these electric fat tire bikes offroad too. Check out this short video. These things are friggin quick!

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

I recently got a e bike. One of the best things I ever bought. It's tough to plop down $1500 for a bike, then whatever all the accessories cost and a 2nd battery because soon you realize you need a 2nd battery. Call it $2500 to do it right. SOOOO worth it. So much fun.

Now it depends on where you live. Less than a mile from my home is a bike path that basically goes from Lake Michigan to Lake Huron. And also near me are other trails. Some aren't paved and for the record, you don't need fat tires to go on any of those trails. I see mountain bike trails. We aren't that into that. We more like riding through rich neighborhoods or to nice towns where we have lunch and it takes 6 hours to go and come back. This weekend we went to Kensington Metropark and back. 50 miles. I had to use my spare battery but still had 4 out of 5 bars left when I got home on that battery. I believe my 1st battery went 37 miles.

Ran into a guy who said he could sell us a bike he makes that has 3 batteries and goes like 40 mph for about the same price. I bought mine from a store because I like the customer service but my next bike I'm going to buy cheap online. I need a bike for when I want to go riding with a lady friend. None of them seems to have $2500 sitting around to buy a bike. LOL. So for now I borrow my friends if I want to take a girl on a ride.

I feel so blessed living where I live.

1621258044030.png

If it can't keep up with vehicle traffic, it has no business on the road. That's all I gotta say, because I despise the assholes who interfere with and slow traffic so they can be like Lance "One Nut Cheating Fucker" Armstrong.
My buddy has a regular ten speed. He says and I agree, the sidewalks are harder to ride on bumpier and so he rides in the street. Screw that. I ride on the sidewalks when possible. But if there is no sidewalk guess what? Deal with it.

I've seen nuts like you hit bikers with their cars, or the biker scratches your car because you got to close, probably on purpose, so they pull over and get in an actual fight.

I promise you it's not the biker who got road rage. It was the guy in the car being a dick. You have to watch out for bikers like they are grandmothers. Would you fuck with granny? Then don't fuck with the bikers. Imagine they are little kids. Drive slow and around then. Why you in such a fucking hurry?

If it can't keep up with vehicle traffic, it has no business on the road. That's all I gotta say, because I despise the assholes who interfere with and slow traffic so they can be like Lance "One Nut Cheating Fucker" Armstrong.
I fucking hate cyclists too. I work in Seattle and they are a pain in the ass. I wont be impeding traffic with my bike though. I want the bike for parks and trails. I will be taking it on the roads too, but not in the city. Im talking residential roads where i can easily do 25 mph on the Rad Rover.
We are always looking for routes where we don't have to be on the road. Just occasionally cross them. I agree. We always joke that everyone loves us bikers. We can go anywhere and people hardly notice. But not on the roads. On the roads people who drive cars hate us.

Forum List

Back